Do you start with a lesson on the

Discussion in 'General Education' started by LiteratureLover, Aug 19, 2011.

1. LiteratureLover

LiteratureLover Rookie

Aug 19, 2011

first day? Or do you spend most of the time going over syllabus, rules, procedures, etc.? I have 8th graders by the way. This is my first year teaching, so I'm not quite sure what works best.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2011

You posted in gen Ed....I'm grade 3... It takes a few days to get 'on schedule'. I'd expect it takes less time by grade 8.

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 19, 2011

I just had my first day. I did info sheets, went over the syllabus, did a brief icebreaker, worked on "I Am" poems, and passed out books. I have 8th, 10th, and 12th. The kids decorated them and I hung them up for back to school night. I liked the way the first day went and would definitely do it that way again with some minor tweaks. I only have them one day before this week so that works best for me. I teach on blocks-80 minutes.

5. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Aug 19, 2011

I'm 1st grade, so not real applicable, but I'm "required" to teach lessons the first day because the 1st grade team said we have to. I have to do everything they do and they're doing lessons, so I am as well!

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2011

I start with a short lesson the first day. I usually do a read aloud to model the type of writing that we will be working with for the first few weeks of school.

7. MsDouglas

MsDouglas Rookie

Aug 19, 2011

I'm teaching 9th/10th grade math, and I am required to start a lesson on the first day. It's a small review of basic information the students should know. I have 90 minute periods, and school work starts day 1.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2011

I teach high school math as well.

OUr periods on that day are 29 minutes long.

I do a 5-10 minute spiel on rules, then I teach. I assign homework and quiz 2 days later.

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2011

I teach middle school and we can't begin actual learning goals the first day.

10. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 19, 2011

I teach high school English. We have 90 minute blocks. With my freshmen, I spend about 10 minutes going over class info/etc. Then we read 3 poems that establish the tone/rules for my room. "What Did I Miss" is about the importance of coming to school, "Mentor" is about asking questions and... one other that I completely forgot... about being responsible for your own learning. We do a close reading activity with it. After that, I introduce them to the first writing assignment that's due at the end of the week. I show them what the finished project will look like, and they begin the prewriting activity for it. It will be due at the end of the first week as a major grade. :)

11. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2011

It takes me a week to start on academics. We just do routines, routines, routines, and getting to know you stuff. Many of my students have anxiety or behavior issues when they don't know what is expected, and how can they learn then?

Your situation as a middle school teacher may be different. I have the same kids most of the day.

12. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Aug 20, 2011

I teach middle school, 7th/8th grade. The first day I go over procedures, give a writing assignment (math biography), and then I give them a pre-test to determine their readiness.

The second day students participate in a problem solving activity and get homework. I usually begin teaching my lessons on the 3rd day. The first 2 weeks I spend about 1/3 of the lesson setting up our interactive notebook step by step, so, after that, they can pretty much do it on their own.

13. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2011

Jump right in. They'll love your class compared to all the others where they sit and are treated like 6 year olds who don't know how to behave in a classroom.

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2011

I'll start with my first reading and writing mini-lessons on the first day.

15. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 21, 2011

I have a 90 minute block, and on the first day I went over the syllabus, had them fill out student information sheets, did a quick icebreaker, gave a pretest, and then played a movie trivia game. We are discouraged from starting new content on the first day because they are still moving students' schedules around.

16. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 21, 2011

I prefer to jump right in, but we have 20 minute classes on the first day because of the morning assembly, and our schedules are so unstable the first week - I don't want to cover too much curriculum because there are usually kids coming in and out of my classes. BUt I also try to remember in high school they have likely heard 8 different sets of rules and filled out 8 info cards and done 8 lame ice breakers. I try to do something a little different.

17. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Aug 21, 2011

I start teaching some content on the first day, but with other beginning of year stuff going on, it takes a few days to get into the normal routine.