Do you stand in the front or back of the line?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Mrs_B, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Mrs_B

Mrs_B Comrade

Dec 15, 2006

Do you stand in the front or back of the line when your class walks the halls? I saw a teacher at the front the other day and a 1st grade student ran back to her room and she didn't even notice.

3. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Dec 15, 2006

i always go to the back. If you have a TA have them go to the front and you go to the back. You might also have them hang onto a rope. My mother did this with her preschool class. Terry G.

4. Miz_Sanders

Miz_Sanders Rookie

Dec 15, 2006

I walk at the front but walk backwards. I have never seen a teacher walk at the back. They all either walk at the front and don't watch the kids, or walk backwards and keep an eye on them.

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 15, 2006

I walk at the back of the line (or did in the larger schools).
    Last year the rule was that we had to walk at the back of the line.
    Just give students stopping points.

6. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 15, 2006

At my school we were told to always be at the front. I walk backwards most of the time. I like to walk in the back, though, and give the students stopping points where I can walk back up to the front, make sure everyone is still in line and quiet and then give them their next stopping point.

7. Cindy

Cindy Companion

Dec 15, 2006

We have a lot of teachers walk the middle of the line.

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 15, 2006

I tend to walk in the front out of habit, but I'm trying to train myself to walk more in the middle or in the back. I do cosntantly look back to check my line though.

9. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Dec 15, 2006

I tend to walk in the middle of the line. I'm always hollering at the end of the line to catch up & I give the front of the line stopping points. We also have to open a few gates where we have to walk, so I'm always having to open & shut gates.. so I move from front to middle to back to middle again..

10. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Dec 15, 2006

I walk in the front - always either backwards or turning around to look a lot. If I don't walk at the front, they will take off running.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 16, 2006

Not that you asked, but for fire drills we always need to be in the front, in the event that an exit is blocked.

12. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Dec 16, 2006

At the back with designated stopping points for the line leaders. If they don't stop correctly, they lose the job. Someone else is always eager to show that they can listen....yep...even with middle schoolers!

13. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Dec 16, 2006

I walk in the front or middle of the line and my assistant is in the rear.

14. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Dec 16, 2006

I too walk in the front, I stop often and turn around, I have the line stop often too.

15. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Dec 16, 2006

I walk in the middle and try to count heads at the stopping points...just incase I missed someone running back to the room or pulling off to tie shoes!

16. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 16, 2006

I don't walk in the back because if I need to stop a student up front, I can't call their name verbally (deaf). If I'm up front (walking backwards half the time), I can stop the line and get the ones in the back.

17. Raising3boys

Raising3boys Companion

Dec 16, 2006

I mainly walk in the middle of the line. Often times, I turn around to check the back of the line to make sure they aren't playing around. I walk backwards some too.

18. srh

srh Devotee

Dec 16, 2006

I walk at the front--I'd rather lead than drive them!! But I tend to walk backwards most the time. You get really good at it after a few events! I also put my "line problems" at the front of the line so they're next to me. If I have a parent helping, he/she goes somewhere between the middle and the back of the line to help keep watch.

19. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Dec 16, 2006

I walk in the middle and give stopping points. Sometimes I trail at the end of the line.

20. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Dec 16, 2006

If I walk in the front, I am walking backwards keeping my eyes on my class at all times, with one hand on my line leader's shoulder, they also get to play blind person guide for me so I won't bump into things or people:eek: .
    I try to install with my students stopping points, like stop at the 2nd red exit sign, the clock hanging in the hall, hall intersections and so on. Only when we ALL reach the designated stop point, do I tell them the next one. If I walk in the back, I can see them better, but I always prefer to have a set person being a hall monitor taking good and bad names down and deal with it immediately upon arrival at our designation. Either they miss 5 minutes of play time, or they get a reward etc...
    Definitely establish stop points, like JM suggested!!! works with most kids except the few that take off like their tail feathers are on fire:eek: had that happen 1 toooooo many times too!!:eek:

That child has to spend the day holding my hand, or pocket without ever sitting down, including class time. And it gets reallllllly annoying to them, cause I don't sit down when I teach. The student has to spend his/her free time later making up whatever written assignment when the others are having free time or afterthey eat their lunch by my side, always. By the end of about 15 minutes of it, the offender is so sick of staying put beside me, there is no need to ever repeat myself to the others!! I sound like I am being a monster, but truly I've only had to use it once or twice! It works with the younger kids mostly. The middles schoolers, I stop, call their parent at work from my cell phone and have the offender explain why they felt the need to run off!!

21. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Dec 16, 2006

Huh. We were told to be at the back to make sure everyone gets out safe......

Kelly :)

22. PurpleTweety

PurpleTweety Companion

Dec 16, 2006

Front - school policy. However, we nearly all walk backwards.

23. mrsnoble116

mrsnoble116 Companion

Dec 17, 2006

The middle and sometimes I walk backwards or sideways.

24. AngelHead

AngelHead Comrade

Dec 17, 2006

The middle, unless we're turing a corner because some of my students think it's okay to run in the hall if I can't see them.

25. kteelou

kteelou Rookie

Dec 17, 2006

I walk at the front with Kindergarten, but walk backwards. Be careful of running into other classes though, especially coming in from recess!! I nearly ran a little girl down the other day and my line leader never said anything to me about my getting close to her!! :) They're so helpful sometimes!!

26. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Dec 17, 2006

I usually walk in the front, backwards. If any students can walk the right way in line (for some reason they love spinning in circles in the hallway), they have to hold my hand until we get to our destination (4th grade). I tell them if they are going to act like kindergarteners, then we will walk like Kinders too...lol...the boys just LOVE that!

27. teach57

teach57 Comrade

Dec 17, 2006

I have split my class into two smaller lines to walk down the hall. I lead them usually walking backwards. With two smaller lines, it's easier to keep track of the people near the end, especially around corners.

28. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 17, 2006

I'm a middle of the line walker. Actually, I tend to roam along the side. For fire drills we are supposed to be last with a designated child who will always lead the exit.

29. SnowDaisy822

SnowDaisy822 Companion

Dec 17, 2006

I walk in the middle and we have stopping points where I can make sure everyone's quiet.

30. kburen

kburen Cohort

Dec 18, 2006

We've been asked to walk in the middle and turn around every now and then. I tend to find my child who likes to start problems and stick close to them. We have a lot of corners and fights tend to break out when the teacher rounds the corner and can't see around it...So I stand where I can see both ends of my line on either side of the corner.

31. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Dec 18, 2006

I usually walk towards the middle, but I also have a student who is Line Manager who checks to make sure each person is doing what he or she is supposed to do

32. maroki

maroki Comrade

Dec 18, 2006

I tend to walk in the middle also. My students know the "stopping points" in our hallways, and I also have two line helpers....a line leader and a caboose. The line leader stops the line where appropriate, and the caboose makes sure we don't lose any students along the way. I walk back and forth along the middle of the line.

33. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Dec 19, 2006

I start out at the back of the line and work my way to the front. I also vary moving to middle back and front so the children do not know where I will be. The ones in the front want to run so I randomly place myself. This works for me and my students. :)

34. Jenny G

Jenny G Companion

Dec 19, 2006

I walk at the back. Most of the upper elementary teachers at my school do. Except one, and that is the one that has the most trouble walking quietly in line.

35. purplecrazy21

purplecrazy21 Comrade

Dec 20, 2006

At my last school, I walked at the front. All the teachers at that school were required to because we were the "leader". I hated it. It was hard to see what my kids were doing in line and I had very social classes both years I was at the school. At the school I am at now, I walk in the middle of the line. I have the class stop at corners and I wait for the end of the line before we continue. In the middle I can be close to the front and the back of the line. I find this much more effective since I can monitor behavior easier.
    Dawn
    4th/CO