Do you spend your own money for your classrooms?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by greendream, Jun 26, 2014.

?

How much money do you spend on your classroom?

1. I never spend any money on classroom supplies.

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  2. I spend a small amount: $10-50.

11 vote(s)
    14.1%
  3. I spend a moderate amount: $50-200.

27 vote(s)
    34.6%
  4. I spend a large amount: $200-1000.

34 vote(s)
    43.6%
  5. I spend an extraordinary amount: more than $1000.

4 vote(s)
    5.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jun 27, 2014

I can't help that agree that this is what it comes down to. I agree that there is some real, serious poverty out there. My students tell me a lot that goes on in their households, and it's heartbreaking. I just can't agree that the responsibility to buy their supplies falls on me or my school. Don't get me wrong, I do it. I'm just not happy about it.

A while back, my student's notebook ran out for the 3rd time because she kept doodling in it. I told her she needed another one and that she should tell her mom to get her one. She came back the next day and told me mom said no. I told her to let her mom know that she could get one from the dollar store. The student came back the next day and said "She still says no. She said you probably have some." I'm sure she thinks that because I had been buying her daughter stuff all year.

As a school, we do so much for the families, we really do. Teacher volunteers give English classes. We work with local churches to get backpack and coat donations. For instrumental music, we loan out the instruments so families have to buy them. We do so much, but it does start to become an expectation for some, and there are some families who seem to start to expect it.

2. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Jun 27, 2014

Yes, I totally spend my own money for my classroom. I'm changing to self-contained 2nd after 2 years in K-5 SPED math. So not only did I buy stuff for myself like books on Guided Reading, Writer's Workshop and the Daily 5, I got a ton of reproducibles so for science, social studies, reading and language arts as well as things like content mastery games, popsicle sticks to call on students, class job charts, name plates, word tiles, etc. I spent nearly $400 this last trip to the teacher supply store. :whistle:

3. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jun 28, 2014

If they don't have the supplies they don't have them. We have to make the ultimate decision to let them go without or not. It's a personal decision. I try to think of the child.

4. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jun 28, 2014

I had a parent last year who swore to me that she had no income. She was living with a family member for several years. She had been fired from a job, because she said someone accused her of stealing, and no one would hire her. I wonder how one lives with NO INCOME. Nothing. Nada. Zilch.

5. greendream

greendream Cohort

Jun 28, 2014

This isn't Les Miserables, and the poor aren't always noble like Jean Valjean, although I could see how you would think that if you get all your info from the Huffington Post. Articles like the one you linked make it sound like starvation is a problem for our poor, when it's actually obesity.

6. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 28, 2014

Cheap food is generally also the worst type of food for you.

7. MrVanW

MrVanW New Member

Jun 28, 2014

I tend to spend $20 a month. Usually on food items for labs (onion slides, calculating the energy in a tiny teddy). We also have a mentor programme where teachers take on 1 - 4 Senior students and have fortnightly meetings with them. This usually involves buying them a coffee and a snack, so add that to the $20 and you're probably looking at $50 a month.
    I really resent it too.

8. MrVanW

MrVanW New Member

Jun 28, 2014

How is there no income? What is wrong with a system that can't support its poorest. Surely, that is how a society is judged?
    Our government (Australia) is looking at cutting off welfare payments after 6 months for the unemployed. Insane.

9. greendream

greendream Cohort

Jun 28, 2014

Organic food is expensive but beans and veggies aren't as expensive as meat. People just make bad dietary choices and eat way too much. Not everything is the system's fault.

10. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 28, 2014

Fresh food is more expensive than canned food, and canned food lasts longer if you don't have the ability to go to the store very often. There's a reason poor people tend to eat a lot of processed foods, and its not because they're lazy and/or stupid.

11. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 28, 2014

Just to illustrate this point... look at the food served in pretty much any school cafeteria, retirement home, military mess hall, etc. You're going to find mostly food that is processed to hell and back again and is more or less awful for you. Is it because schools don't care about nutrition or because the powers that be in the military secretly hope all the soldiers get fat? Somehow, I don't think so...

12. bewlove

bewlove Companion

Jun 28, 2014

As a new teacher, I am fully prepared to spend anywhere from $250-$500 on my classroom. I have nothing yet and I don't get money from my district.

13. greendream

greendream Cohort

Jun 28, 2014

Not all processed food is created equal. I can and do eat processed food about half the time (or more), and I don't end up obese because I know how many calories I'm consuming. It's the cokes, chips, and sweets that are creating an obesity epidemic.

When are we going to stop making excuses for people?

14. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 28, 2014

Oh for cryin in the night...I'm not going to waste my time arguing the point any more. If you think the world is so rosy, then fine. Buy supplies, or don't. It's no skin off my back.

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2014

:hijack:

Are you saying that canned = processed?

16. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 29, 2014

I don't know if six months is the best limit, but I do think there should be time limits except for the disabled.

17. teachinnola

teachinnola Rookie

Jun 29, 2014

This is what I'm wondering. I usually don't eat canned food, but I stock up for hurricanes or other emergencies and cycle through them each year. Right now I have canned tuna, beans, corn, peas, etc, etc. In the most General sense, these are processed foods, but they are very very close to eating the fresh version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.