Do you spend much time on the telephone?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Hoot Owl, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Oct 5, 2009

I spend more time on my cell phone then I do the house phone these days. I used to call my best friend all the time at night but we never talk from home anymore, we always talk on my way to school.

I call my mom and dad every day from school as soon as I get through eating. My son calls about three times a week, but he's a brief talker.

About the only person I talk to on the house phone is my daughter and we'll talk two or three times in the afternoon.

I used to talk on the house phone a lot but don't anymore.

What about you?

3. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Oct 5, 2009

Same here! We were debating about just cutting it out BUT it's needed for business calls, church people calls, some friends who talk:rolleyes: more than I do, and relatives. I am on my cell phone a lot, BUT not as much as I am on this SITE!:D:lol:
    Rebel1

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 5, 2009

I'm not on the phone that much & even less on my cell. My landline is the very basic service that's less than $20/mo. My cell bill is about $24/mo.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 5, 2009

We got rid of our house phone and only use cell phones now. I hate talking on the phone more than necessary. I make an exception if my best friend calls. She doesn't live close by so we have a 2 hour long chat now and then.

6. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Oct 5, 2009

When I moved to an apartment for the first time, I didn't open a land line phone and cable account to save money. Since then, I am used to having my cell phone only. I know that I would be screwed if the electricity went out but I realize that I can go to a pay phone if I have to. I really need to back up my cell phone numbers on paper. I have no idea what my friends' or some of family members' numbers are.

7. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Oct 5, 2009

I hate talking on the phone.

8. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Oct 5, 2009

I want to get rid of our land line-we only get calls from telemarketers. But our cell phones are long distance and I want to have a local number so work can call easily.

9. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 6, 2009

Ick, no! I am talking and listening to little people and big people AAAALLLLLLLL DAAAAAAAAAAAAY LOOOOOOOOOOOONG. When I get home I beg my husband not to answer the phone. He has to - he is a minister! I do not like the phone.

I do like my cell because only my most important people have that number and I do love talking to them, most anytime.

10. priyaanka

priyaanka Rookie

Oct 6, 2009

i use only cell phone. i don't like telephone. i talk to my friends when i am out of home.:whistle:

11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 6, 2009

We dumped our landline a long time ago. The smallest minute plan we could get for our cell phone was 700 minutes. We use less than 200 every month.

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 6, 2009

Ditto

13. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Oct 6, 2009

Dumped our line line several years ago and don't miss it. Hubby has our 'old' phone number on his phone and I gave my cell # to about 4 people and that's it. DO NOT like to talk on the phone. Lots of chit chat about nothing much. We have teachers come in with cell phone plastered to their ear and leave the same way. What ARE they talking about? I must be quite boring and have nothing to say.

14. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Oct 6, 2009

No landline. I try to talk to people while I am driving. I live in the country so its not much traffic. Lucky thing is we have a free landline cause the phone company gives us high speed internet through the phone jack which still gives us a dial tone.
    People can call us still but we have to pay like 15cents a minute for any call out. We dont call out.

15. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Oct 6, 2009

I hate the phone. I don't have a landline, just a cell.

Very rarely do I use my cellphone.

16. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 6, 2009

I talk on my commute. It's extremely lonely, and eats about 3 hours of my day, so I have a headset and speed dial. My parents put in speaker phones around the house and we talk for about an hour every evening. Dh and I are touching base constantly. I call maybe twice on the way in, and a couple times on the way home. Sometimes my student and I will call him to celebrate a victory. I've been on the phone with our realtor a lot lately. But I try NOT to answer the phone during the day while teaching my student, so from about 9:30-5, I'm off limits unless it's a call I'm really needing to take. We only have cell phones, so I had to up my minutes to about 900 a month. Luckily Verizon gave me five free 'numbers' regardless of service, so I can talk to dh and my parents on all their phones for free.

And yes, my conversations with my parents are at times really mindless. Sometimes they will be watching a show and commenting on it and I'll just listen. But it's comforting when I can't be with them, and I'm just driving anyhow. Once, dh accidentally called me while on in a meeting, so I just listened to them talk for a half hour until it hung up on me. That was interesting, and a nice change from the usual radio.

17. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 6, 2009

When we moved, we didn't get a land line. The phone company told us it would cost about $5000 to trench a line clear out to our house, we told them to trench it to you-know-where.

We only use cell phones, and I have to admit, I am a total Blackberry addict. I use it CONSTANTLY. So does dh-he has to be in contact with his job at all times.

18. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Oct 6, 2009

I have an iphone and am probably constantly using it, but rarely to actually talk to people. I call my mom and chat on my drive home from work. That is about it.

19. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 6, 2009

I hate talking on the phone.

We have a landline because we can't get cell service at our house. We have nationwide flat-rate long distance because our town is so small that all of our doctors, other services, and DH's family are out of town.

I'd be lucky to use 45 minutes a month on my cell, and DH uses even less. We have prepaid plans.

20. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Oct 6, 2009

No, I hate talking on the phone. I'd rather text, e-mail or see you in person...I dunno why. I get anxious when I have to call someone on the phone (other than my family, and husband) I don't know why!

21. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Oct 6, 2009

I don't want to talk on the phone at all after talking all day at school.