Do you SL?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ku_alum, Nov 2, 2008.

1. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Nov 2, 2008

Do any of you use Second Life?

I was at a tech conference last week and heard several speakers talk about collaborating with teachers in Second Life.

It's free. I created an account and made an avatar. I looked around for awhile for an island of teachers, but I didn't find any.

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Nov 2, 2008

What is Second Life? I've never heard of it.

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Nov 2, 2008

It's a virtual world. www.secondlife.com

One of the keynote speakers at the tech conference talked about using it as a collaboration place for teachers, and several at the conference said they were using it that way.

It's kinda weird, but I can see how it could be useful.

5. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Nov 2, 2008

Second Life is ok. I have friends who really like it, but I don't ever feel like I have the time to really mess around in it.

6. ELA 11 12

ELA 11 12 Companion

Nov 3, 2008

I just checked it out. I am not ready for that...gives me the creeps. I don't know why, but it does.

7. ChangeAgent

ChangeAgent Comrade

Nov 3, 2008

Our district is offering an in-service (from an outside organization) regarding using Second Life for educational purposes. I was intrigued by it, and it's coincidental you mentioned it here.

8. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Nov 3, 2008

I'm an SLer..been playing since June 2005. But I like MMORPGs. There are many universities and businesses that have set up in-world. Its a semi-glorified chatroom. I like the creative aspect, you can make and build things and form friendships. There are PG and Mature regions..and the Mature is..very mature...i.e. sexual part to SL. If its not your thing, you can avoid it beautifully-trust me, I do it. Its just a break from reality..a..well Second Life. I'm model beautiful, nice and thin and look great in ALL my clothes with perfectly coiffed air..see..a non-reality! Its also free if you want it to be and cost if you don't. But, there are neat educational areas. Reuters is in and recently I found the sim (which is the simulated land) that has Capitol Hill..it has links to Obama/McCain sites and gives information about major issues and how both camps stand. ALong with a way to look at who is running on the state level for HoR and Senate.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 3, 2008

Never heard of it. It seems kind of interesting. I guess for those who love the game, The Sims, they'll love this. I tried the Sims once, but never took a liking to it. I probably won't be getting into this either any time soon.

10. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Nov 3, 2008

I started out playing Sims 'offline' and then moved to sims online..The Sims Online..or TSO is archaic (sp?)..ancient compared to what you can do in SL. Everything is 'resident' aka player created..unlike TSO where your building supplies and clothes comes from the game designers. Its much more open and allows for a freer creative license so to speak. Its the same as in its a place for people to create avatars and to mingle with others..but its different in that there is no one set goal like with the sims to gain skills..your goal is what you create. If you want to make a business and potentially make real world money, you can...if its a place for you to just hang out and 'dance' and 'chat' without any set goal but for that then you can. As SL is changing, the boundaries are only your imagination. Some people like the set goals, such as World of Warcraft and things like that, I personally don't like the 'shoot em up' games where you kill monsters, others do. Its all in how you like the computer and spend time on it. I'm a computer/electronics junkie..if its shiny and techie I want it.