Do you sit in the teacher's lounge?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by GAteacher87, Jul 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2011

What's preventing a bunch of you from doing something with it?

2. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2011

That sounds like a fun project--and the a/c is a real reason to get it fixed up!

3. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Jul 24, 2011

Because the people who like to go there don't mind the room and those of who really don't care about going there just go somewhere else.

Oh and there is a broken laminator in the room that hasn't been fixed since before I started lol.

4. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Jul 24, 2011

Sorry about the typos. I'm on my ipad

5. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2011

I usually eat lunch in my room. I'm very self conscious about eating in front of people.

But I do try to make a quick appearance at every lunch time. I go in, sit down, usually make a few wisecracks, and then leave with the rest of the first grade teachers when it's time go.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2011

I make an appearance almost every day as well--to grab my lunch from the fridge, to heat up leftovers in the microwave, use the kettle, catch up with a teacher I need to talk to about something. If I get involved in a conversation, I do stay for a bit.

7. Joy

Joy Cohort

Jul 24, 2011

As a sub, I sometimes eat in the lounge and sometimes eat at the teacher's desk. It depends on what school I am at and how much prep time I need before the afternoon. I have found a few schools that have problems with gossip in the lounge. It usually happens when someone leaves. As soon as a teacher gets up to leave, the other teachers start gossiping about her. Some teachers are also not the nicest to subs in the lounge and will completely ignore any subs in the room. However, I have also been to schools with wonderful lounges where the teachers are very friendly and would never gossip. I guess it just depends on where you are at.

8. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 24, 2011

At one school we had a rotating schedule of whose turn it wass to clean the lounge. I think we had to do it once a quarter. That person was also responsible for making sure that there was plastics & such there & that the fridge was clean.

At my current school the custodians clean it. I don't know who does the fridge. We take turns bringing in breakfast each Friday, so it does stay pretty clean.

9. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 24, 2011

We are required to eat lunch with our students to supervise them. Our faculty room is mainly used by the various secretaries/clerks and some substitute teachers for lunch. We do have finger-food days so more teachers to walk through during planning.

I started avoiding the faculty room at one school where I did a long-term sub - the folks were very negative. Yet, in another school during a long-term sub, I loved sitting with everyone. We laughed, I learned things about teaching, class management, the community, etc.

As a PP said, I think it all depends on the school.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2011

At the beginning of the year, we sign up for two weeks of "kitchen duty". We are responsible for general tidying, loading and unloading the dishwasher, giving the counters a quick wipe down, and providing "treats" for the staff on Friday. The caretakers wash the floor every night and the after-school program is responsible for washing the tables when they are done.

11. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2011

We are able to leave for lunch, some teachers do. I never do because I think our lunch is too short to do that and I dont want to spend a portion of it driving somewhere.

12. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Jul 24, 2011

I was also given the advice about staying out of the lounge. However, as a student teacher I ate lunch in the lounge every day and loved it. It really helped me feel like I fit in. There were teachers who were negative or dramatic, but that's just life. As a ST, though, I also had a conference period AND a planning period.

This year, as a first year teacher, I will not have a planning period. That means other than conference time, lunch will be the only time I can have to myself. I will probably eat a lot of lunches in my room. I hate that because I know that I need to become part of the family and get to know the other teachers, and I don't want to appear unsociable, but I NEED that quiet time to myself every day to think and breathe!

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2011

Croissant...make an effort to connect with your colleagues. You could spend part of your lunch in the faculty room,or as grade level teachers if they want to plan with you at lunch sometimes...going it alone every day can make you seem standoffish to both your colleagues and administrators.

14. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Jul 24, 2011

I student taught with a wonderful staff. Negativity was never an issue in the lounge.
    I have been blessed to teach in a similar situation. We have laughed till we cried, cried until we couldn't cry anymore, and celebrated life's many joys. We have given each other advice (both personal and professional) which has been such a benefit. Has there been venting? Yes, and I think that is normal in any work situation. We vent and then move on to better subjects.
    I am moving to a brand new building this year. I will be teaching with people I don't really know. I will not be in the lounge if there is a lot of negativity. That makes me sad, but I have to protect myself.

15. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Jul 24, 2011

I've been subbing, but when I had a long term assignment, I ate some days in the lounge and some days in my room. There are times I just want to read a book and not interact with anyone, but there is some value in networking.

I've subbed in one school where the kids are used to coming in and out of classrooms during lunch. At that school I eat in the lounge. I'd rather deal with conversations about people and events I'm not familiar with than students knocking at a locked door or coming in and out telling me how their teacher "allows" them to spend lunch in her room.

16. sjnkate

sjnkate Rookie

Jul 24, 2011

I don't because we eat lunch with the kids. At the school I worked at previously I didn't because I prefered to do things in the classroom (grade papers, check take-home folders, etc) while I ate.

17. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jul 24, 2011

I rarely ate lunch in the lounge except for the one time we had a duty free lunch and ate in the lounge. Otherwise I eat lunch with my students, coteacher and fellow teacher and coteacher who shared our same table. We would sit in the middle and talk.

The times I have spent time in the lounge have all been positive. Discussing my first year, lesson plans, copies that we are sharing, ideas, happy to have a break...

A rule of thumb I like to go by. The school has eyes and ears... save those conversations... because you never know whose listening.

18. missalli

missalli Companion

Jul 25, 2011

I never got the advice to avoid the staff room. Sometimes it does get gossipy, but I tend to sit back and listen and it doesn't really make me uncomfortable (the first time I was ever on campus, two different staff members came up to me within the first 5 minutes to tell me how horrible the principal was. She's not perfect, but I like her much better than THOSE 2 people). We have some great laughs and it's also nice to know where certain people are if I have a question about their students or a scheduling issue. I feel like I have a better, closer relationship with the people who eat there as opposed to the people who don't. Plus, I just need to get out of my classroom sometimes!

19. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2011

Ditto! Even if the person doesn't intend to, eating alone in your room does make you seem standoffish and not as friendly. Those of us that eat together are much closer and more social than those that don't.

Late this spring, my P walked in to the staff lounge, and seeing how many people were eating in there she got really excited and told us that this was a sign of a good staff that got along. Apparently the year before people didn't eat together so much. We are moving to a much bigger building next year and we will be a k-8. This past year we had a staff of 11 and our school was basically one little hallway! People are worried about not getting to see/talk to each other all the time as grade levels are now seperated by hallways. The P kept saying over and over- everyone has to eat in the lounge next year, you have to make an effort to keep the relationships you have now!

20. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2011

That's very wise advice!

21. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2011

We call them 'staffrooms' and I always try to spend my breaks and lunchtimes in there. The staff kitchen is there so I can make a hot drink or use the microwave, fridge or toaster. Our lockers are also there. It is the only time of the day when you can get to meet and chat with colleagues from other departments. You get to share infomation about the kids you teach and how they behave in different subjects. As a Union rep I get a chance to listen to colleagues' problems or discuss whole school issues away from the school management's ears. Plus I get a chance to unwind away from the kids which wouldn't happen if I was in my classroom as they would be constantly interrupting me.

I recall from when I was training that my tutor advised us to use the staffroom as we would get to meet teachers for other subjects. I took him at his word and joined the lunchtime card school at my first teaching school. I bumped into a few of the staff from that school the other day 20 years on and sadly the card school is no more!

22. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2011

Last year, a small group of teachers collaborated on lunch. They would take turns once a week and bring in food for their group. It was cool to see what they would bring in. It sparked lots of discussions on healthy eating and recipe sharing. I thought about joining that group, but I can hardly get organized enough to prepare food in advance for my own family!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.