Do you sit in the teacher's lounge?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by GAteacher87, Jul 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2011

I guess that is a preference. I tend to see lunch time as a break in the middle of the day so you can think about other things so you do no have to think about work 8-9 hours straight. I wish we had more breaks during the day (just 5 min. here or there) to mentally break from the work we are doing.

2. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2011

I guess it is just word usage. I do see it more as venting than negativity. When talking at lunch I either vent or discuss something off topic of school.

3. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2011

We are invited to assorted teacher's rooms or the principal's office. I tend to work through lunch (and text or call my husband), but I always enjoy spending time with the other teachers when I do pull myself away. And, it's a good way to stay current with the goings on at school.

4. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 23, 2011

LOVE OUR Teacher's lounge!! We visit in the morning before school starts, we eat lunch together and truly enjoy our time together. We never dicuss students unless is something such as "has anyone had Susie today? She's not herself today" or "Anyone else having trouble getting Johnny to turn in assignments lately?" We almost always talk abour our own kids, spouses, parents (esp as we ourselves are getting older), TV shows, diets, and anything else. In my school, the gossiping and complaining teachers DON"T eat in the lounge because there is no one that supports their converstations.

PLEASE, PLEASE first year teachers, make up your own mind about your teachers lounge. Go in with an open mind and judge for yourself. You might be missing out on new friendships, mentoring, and just a good relaxing time for lunch.

5. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jul 23, 2011

I don't consider venting and negativity the same thing. When a person has a bad day almost every day and never says anything positive I consider that negative person. When a person has positive things to say most of the time, enjoys his/her job, and is frustruated once in a while, then, it's venting. Two very different things.

6. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2011

There are many positive things to say at lunch, just very few of them in regards to the job (and I don't mean the actual teaching, thats usually pretty good). Just my opinion.

7. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2011

I wonder what the college professors were basing their judgment on since a lot of them have not taught in a elementary or high school classroom in years and years.

I eat in the lunch room or visit other classrooms and eat with the teachers there because if I don't I work through lunch and end up hungry and stressed. I find whatever I accomplish during lunch is not worth the end result if I do not eat or do not have a break.

8. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2011

No I'm not saying I don't like breaks.:)
    I just like eating with my little ones. But I am ready to get rid of them for P.E. :woot:

9. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 23, 2011

I used to be but then I ended up with a late lunch and there was no one there. I just eat in my room now or if its a nice day I'll go outside. It would be nice to converse with my fellow teachers during lunch but that just doesn't happen.

10. comaba

comaba Cohort

Jul 23, 2011

I graduated almost 15 years ago, and got the same advice about the teachers' lounge during the student teaching orientation.

I also frequently work through my lunch, but I try to have lunch in the lounge a couple of times each week.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 23, 2011

We don't have a teacher's lounge and we are required to eat with our students anyway. When I was student teaching and subbing I loved eating lunch with other teachers. Even as a sub, I was welcomed at one table or another and had nice chats that usually had nothing to do with students.

12. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 23, 2011

I have never heard a professor mention anything about eating or not eating in the teacher's lounge. How strange that so many professors apparently have. It seems like a minor issue to me, and one of personal preference/atmosphere/scheduling/etc of the individual school, anyway.

13. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 23, 2011

At my first school (which I was at for 5 years) I never once sat in the lounge!!! :eek:

At my second school (which I was only at for 1 year) I sat in the lounge each and every day. My two close friends and I ate and chatted together, laughed, vented, and had "adult time." I will miss that school so much.

At the school I'll be transferring to, I've heard that there are a lot of cliques. I have a few good friends who teach there, so I'm sure I'll eat with them.

14. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 23, 2011

When I was an undergrad, I clearly remember my professors telling me to steer clear of the lounge! What bad advice (in my opinion).

15. Hitchcock fan

Hitchcock fan Companion

Jul 23, 2011

We don't have a lounge, either, but I think the point here is to be careful with whom you associate. Negative attitudes are contagious (and can creep up on you unawares) - and gossip can run rampant, even of the "harmless" variety. I am friendly with my colleagues but spend the majority of my time at my desk.

16. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jul 23, 2011

I do because I have found that I need time away from the classroom. I guess I have not noticed our lounge to be a negative place.

17. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jul 23, 2011

At my old school it was a very negative place. At my current school, every department has its own lounge, so you're with your colleagues. We ate together for the first half of the year and then something happened when I wasn't around and everyone started eating on their own. I have a friend who teaches an elective arts class and I eat lunch with her in her room.

18. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Jul 23, 2011

Our student teaching advisor told us the same thing, steer clear of the typical "student/staff rants in the teacher lounge, they lead to nothing but trouble".

I know in fact they did... teachers were ranting one time about the AP and she walked in, the door didn't make a noise but I was facing her just sitting there on my phone. I just looked at her face (extremely angry) and looked back at my phone... boy did I wish I could disappear right then! That was extremely awkward....

19. 5leafclover

5leafclover Companion

Jul 24, 2011

I used to eat at my desk while I worked. Then one day several years ago my principal called me to her office and told me that she thought I should eat in the faculty lounge to encourage school community. I felt like I was in trouble for not being social enough! But it has been good having that time to get to know my colleagues better. I always eat in the lounge now and have never felt like it was a place for gossip, etc.

20. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2011

I eat lunch in the lounge. We do, however, have one teacher who likes to talk. A lot. Generally about the kids. To the point where it's hard to get a word in edgewise. Part way through the year, a handful of teachers mysteriously disappear from the lounge to eat lunch in someone's room.

21. GAteacher87

GAteacher87 Companion

Jul 24, 2011

I think you all bring up excellent points. I think the key is to go in there with an open mind--who knows what the school environment and community will be like? My professors sure don't! :) I really want to have good relationships with the other teachers; I just know how all-consuming and sneaky the negative attitudes can become if you are around people with them every day.

22. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 24, 2011

I eat in the teachers' lounge. It's usually a great place to be. Every once in a while, someone will come in and vent, but I think that's the place to do it. Away from the kids and admin, with people who understand the frustrations that come with the job, and with people who can help. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, I understand; sometimes we all just need to get it out.

23. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 24, 2011

Our school has no teacher lounge because we're so small. Our kids eat in our classrooms and there are days when I really need a break from being with my students. The only break I get all day long is a 30 min time slot when they have specials.

24. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 24, 2011

Only for 1 school yr have I been at a single school M-F & I always told myself I need to get in there & mk friends & mk myself friendly & approachable, even though I hear it can sometimes be where the negative, gossipy teachers meet up. But, it's easier said than done for me personally. Ever since I've been in the substitute teaching & teaching field altogether SINCE 1999, I've probably actually sat in the lounge no more than 15 times. I've always been the solitary type. I'd rather have peace in my own rm reading a magazine.

25. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2011

Faculty rooms can be great places to make friends with colleagues, engage in educational discourse, feel like a part of things...it's a good idea especially for new teachers or subs trying to get their 'foot' in the door to make connections.

26. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jul 24, 2011

We too were told to stay away from the lounge by a lot of our professors, but I also had some that told us that is the worst advice. I will definitely be in the lounge more often next year.

27. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2011

I wish we had one--although, we do have a "Teacher Table" in the lunch room, so we at least get to have some adult conversation amidst the noise of children...

28. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Jul 24, 2011

It's always going to depend on the faculty and the school climate. Professors shouldn't be giving advice to stay away from the lounge but approach it with caution as the place could be a breeding ground for negativity and gossiping.

I've been in enough schools over the years to witness both ends of the extreme. Schools with bad administration and faculty who act as if they run the show make the lounge a plague, and schools with a healthy atmosphere (promoted from the top) and positive faculty make the lounge an enjoyable part of each day.

29. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jul 24, 2011

I made a big mistake last year by not sitting in the teacher's room. I was taking classes at night and tried to use my lunch period to get caught up on my coursework. However, staying in my room kept me from forming relationships with collegues and keeping informed about some of the goings on of the school. In my next position, I've resolved to be front and center in the teacher's room every day and go out of my way to be friendly to everyone even though I'm naturally a reserved and introverted person.

30. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2011

Words to live by!!!

If there is anyone in my building who took the advice to avoid the faculty room, he or she has my sympathy. (We're a staff of about 120 teachers. So in a given year, I pretty much only sit with whoever is free the same periods I am.)

We needed each other this year. We needed someone who could understand, on a visceral level, just what we were going through. Someone who could see the tears well up and do what had to be done, whether it was covering a class so someone could compose him or herself, or just offering a teary hug.

Those relationships don't just happen, they take time to develop. Time spent laughing at some of the bizarre answers to test questions, time spent over coffee talking about dog training, time spent admiring wedding pictures.

All those small moments built bonds, bonds we needed when the black cloud descended on our school. They're incredibly important.

31. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 24, 2011

My teacher workroom was taken over by parent volunteers who only wanted to talk about other teachers. They would grill anyone in there about teachers. I didn't want to be in that environment so I ate in my room and worked.

32. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2011

And administration allowed it?

33. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2011

:dizzy::wow:

34. GAteacher87

GAteacher87 Companion

Jul 24, 2011

^That is such a shame, teacherintexas. That's the kind of thing I'm nervous about. Yikes!

35. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2011

Don't be nervous about that...I've never heard of such a thing, and as Alice pointed out, the admin should not be allowing it (or allowing such toxic 'volunteers' in the school at all...)

36. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Jul 24, 2011

I don't really like our teachers lounge. It's pretty dirty, tables are gross, the appliances (like the fridge) are just nasty.

I like going to Dunkin Donuts with my co worker, grabbing a quick coffee and chatting in our rooms. We'll usually go chat with a few other people too. Our school is very small so it's easy to still form relationships with others.

I wish we were all able to do something with the faculty room, but I don't see it happening.

37. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 24, 2011

Do you have a PTO/PTA organization? If you do, I'll bet they would love to help transform your lounge? As for it being dirty, could your custodians clean it? Our lounge is cleaned daily by our custodians and they even clean the appliances :)

38. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2011

In my school, the custodians keep things clean, but we all take responsibility for 'tidying up'. Several teachers have taken in the job of beautifying the bulletin boards with staff at school Events/spirit days. Staff bring in baked goods and treats to share occasionally. We clean up after ourselves. We have a 'coffee club'. Our faculty room is a meeting and gathering place, a work room and a lunch room. It's generally a positive place.:)

39. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 24, 2011

I wish we had an open campus for that reason. We're not allowed to leave during the day except for things like doctor's appointments and things like that.

40. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Jul 24, 2011

The room is cleaned by the custodians but the fridge is left kind of messy by the teachers.

We did Get a kureig this year from the pta but I was the only one bringing in coffee for it so that didnt last.

Maybe this year I will get some teachers together to make the room kore inviting. Cheap furniture from craigslist and whatnot. Maybe a new coat of paint and some air fresheners. It is one of the only rooms with a/c. Lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.