Do you share?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by VANewbie, Jul 26, 2011.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 26, 2011

Do you share? Do you like to share or are you made to share? Do you teammates share?

I just had a situation come up today. A coworker of mine who I never really talk with e-mailed me this morning wanting to make copies of all of my math and language arts games that I have made.

I did not care when I read it this morning but the more I thought about it it took me a long time to make the games, organize them and put them in my binders. I already told the coworker yes so I can't go back on it now.

I usually do not mind sharing but to want everything makes me a little upset. This person never shared with me.

She teachers kinder so I know a lot of the things will be useful for her students but I am also afraid things won't come back the way I put them.

3. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2011

The other team teacher and I share all the time. I can see your frustration, though, if the other teacher isn't sharing. It should go both ways.

4. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 26, 2011

I share everything. It is not about me or the time I have put into those things. It is the fact that I am there to help children. If I help another teacher with something that I have already created, I am helping the children in her class.

Express to the teacher that you are willing to share, but would appreciate her returning the items being taken good care of because you put so much of your time and energy into creating something that you hope to have for a long time.

I would also ask her to share some of her ideas with you. Do it in a friendly way. Say... " I am so glad that you asked about this. There are so many creative things that I have seen from you and would really love to collaborate."That opens a door for you to allow her to share with you.

5. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 26, 2011

SCTeach your right. Like I said I do not mind. I know other have shared with me to get the ideas. Its just the point that she never really even talks to me. And I seriously have TONS of games.

I'll just keep thinking..its all for the kids, its all for the kids.

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2011

If you are concerned about having your materials returned, perhaps the two of you could have a copy party and you can meet with her to supervise the sharing.

7. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2011

I think that's the best attitude to have. Otherwise, if you refuse to share, then you'll just create unneeded tension. Who knows, maybe she'll be inspired by what you've done and decide to make some things herself and share with you.

8. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 26, 2011

Good idea!

9. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2011

I really see this from several angles. Like you, I am the one who seems to create the most games, etc. I have a history of sharing everything - especially with new teachers. Occasionally, I feel taken advantage of when someone doesn't seem to be putting a lot of effort into their own class or share anything they do or doesn't return things promptly or missing items, etc. I just keep thinking of the kids but every now and then I may cut someone off. Does it seem a little strange this person teaches a different grade level?

10. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 26, 2011

ScMom-Her team has 3 people on it. We talk in passing but that is the extent of it. What do you mean by strange? Are you saying that maybe her teammates got sick of having her ask for things?

I have no idea how she knew I had a lot of games.

11. time out

time out Comrade

Jul 26, 2011

I'm known for sharing within my school and district - mostly technology stuff like powerpoint lessons and sometimes assessments. The only thing that would ever make me upset is if someone took credit for one of my original ideas. But even if that happened I'd probably still share =)

12. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 26, 2011

Great idea!

13. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 26, 2011

I share everything, always have and always will.

I think this is a great idea.

14. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jul 26, 2011

I agree, completely. When I left my school in June, a few people asked to copy my flash drive, and I let them.

Have you asked her to share with you? She probably will, if you ask.

15. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2011

I agree completely! Now if the teacher borrows and doesn't take care and return things properly then no.

And who knows.... maybe this is opening a door for collaboration on both sides to start.

16. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 26, 2011

This is when having things in digital form (i.e., on the computer) comes in really handy... I'll email something to another teacher in a heartbeat - it doesn't cost me a dime, and I still have my originals, so to speak. I also know teachers who never share, but don't hesitate to ask me for things.. sometimes it's frustrating, but I agree that it's for the kiddos, and I don't think I've ever refused... yet. :whistle:

17. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2011

Do you scan all your originals?

18. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 26, 2011

skittleroo, you can also do this with a good copy machine. Our copy machine will convert to PDF and then email the PDF to us. I did this last summer, took quite a while but worth it. I still use my binders because I am old school and still "need" to hold a hard copy in my hand.

19. ami6880

ami6880 Companion

Jul 26, 2011

I scan everything! Our copier will convert to a PDF and then place it in our documents for us...so nice! I just scan things as I get them, then when someone needs something I shoot it off in email as well. It makes it easier for the both of us: I don't have to worry about getting something back and they can just save it and print on their own.

20. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 26, 2011

I have scanned most of my stuff, and plan to get it all done this year (if I can stop buying and acquiring new stuff!).

My dream gift lately would be the NeatDesk scanner, lol!

21. The Fonz

The Fonz Math teacher (for now...)

Jul 26, 2011

I share supplies (expo markers, pens, notebooks) and I share my ideas.

:)

the golden rule! ;)

22. Toast

Toast Companion

Jul 26, 2011

I do share, however if the teacher has a history of not giving things back I tend to keep track of what I lend to those teachers. I have no problem sharing. I think of it as a compliment. They like what I have made or found so much that they want it too.

23. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 26, 2011

I am so lucky to work with 3 other English teachers who believe in sharing everything we have. We put all of our stuff in a common location on the district's server so we can all access it. It's divided by grade level and topic. Whenever we create something new, it goes in that shared location.

24. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2011

I'll share anything and everything; I have resource books and tubs of math manipulatives that I'm not currently using in classrooms around the school. If I'm copying something that I think someone else can use, I do an extra and just put it into their mailbox. If someone wants to borrow a worksheet, I'll put a sticky note on it with my name and ask them to return it to my mailbox after copying it. If I take it out of a binder or a file, I use a large sticky note to mark the spot until it's returned.

25. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2011

I am incredibly lucky.

I work in a department of 22 teachers and we all share.

Alicia will be teaching Geometry for the first time in the fall. This summer she has my geometry notes, and Denise downloadead all her stuff onto a flashdrive and gave it to Alicia. Several times a week I go to my mailbox to find a worksheet or test someone else has given and thought I might have a use for.

26. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2011

I love the idea of scanning. Never even thought of it. And then ask her for her email address or USB.
    If you don't want to go that route, then "test" :blush: her. Give her one of your games and see how it comes back. Also, give her a time frame...."I'd really like to have it back by next Friday (or whatever). :)

27. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

Jul 27, 2011

My hesitation to share would be that this teacher teaches K and your tag says primary. Will she use your best ideas and then you'll have the her kids the next year?

28. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 27, 2011

I share all the time, but no one shares much with me.... everyone just does what they do.

We "share" ideas in conversation, but when it comes to actual materials, it seems like I loan things and then find them in the giveaway pile at the end of the year.

I am not going to be sharing as much anymore.