Do you remember...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SCTeachInTX, Jul 30, 2011.

1. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 30, 2011

What you were wearing when you got your teaching job and where is that outfit now? I was wearing a dress and it is hanging in my closet. (That dress brought me good luck after all!):D

3. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 30, 2011

The interview or the phone call offering the job??

4. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Jul 30, 2011

My black (only) suit. It's in the back of my closet waiting for me to get motivated to take it to the dry cleaners... :)

5. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2011

YES! And this was July 1993. I think I still have the blazer to the suit. I know the skirt (which I often wore without the blazer) bit the dust long ago.

6. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 30, 2011

I was thinking the interview outfit. :) Can you remember that????

7. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 30, 2011

Flowered dress with a blue background. It is an Ann Taylor dress and it is sleeveless. I wore a button down short sweater over the dress. I wore blue sandals with a heel and it had large rhinestones. Good vibes that one!

8. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2011

Jeans and a t-shirt .....

It was a phone interview and I was sight seeing in NYC :) I was in the MMof Art during the interview and on the top of Rockafeller Center when I got the call saying I got the job.

9. iloveschool

iloveschool Companion

Jul 30, 2011

I do not remember what I was wearing because i did not even know there was an opportunity for me to get a job!! I was student teaching and got called down to the principal's office. He told me that there was going to be a job opening and offered it to me if i wanted it. I asked if this was an interview. He said no and explained that the week before when he had called my cooperating teacher out of the classroom they stood outside and listened to me teach. I was told that was my interview!! He told be by listening to be interact with the kids and teach a lesson i didn't know I was going to have to take over told him all he needed to know!!!

10. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 30, 2011

LOL .... YES!!

I pair of black slacks that are cuffed at the bottom, black dress shoes and the coat was 3/4 sleeves baby doll cut sorta with one big silver button at the top. THe coat was gray. and the shirt under the jacket was a dress shirt of some sort. Not sure the color. I accessorized with a red handle bag/briefcase that is soooo cute. I still have it and get compliments all the time. :)

11. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 30, 2011

My (only and expensive) suit - blue tweed skirt & jacket. I have since lost over 40 lbs, so I had to give it away!

12. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2011

:lol: Yup. White button-down blouse, khaki linen skirt, brown leather heels... I hadn't planned on interviewing on the spot, so I wasn't wearing my suit.

13. MissAnt

MissAnt Comrade

Jul 30, 2011

I was wearing a yellow, brown, and cream flowered shift dress with a brown suit jacket over it. I had on brown pumps. I felt great in that outfit!

One of the teachers on my interview committee recently told me I looked so uncomfortable and kept pulling at my dress. She thought it was funny. Dang pantyhose were hitting the wrong spot on my stomach!

14. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jul 30, 2011

Lavender, navy, and white pantsuit with shoes that hurt my feet now hanging in the back of my closet.

15. mb_teacher

mb_teacher Companion

Jul 30, 2011

black slacks, black bolero jacket, white button up blouse with a mini black belt, heels, and big pearl earrings.

I know most say to use pops of color, but nothing was working. This outfit just screamed classy and professional, but still fun.

16. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 30, 2011

Sure do! I wore a red/white/black floral print skirt with a matching red top. :)

17. montanadreaming

montanadreaming Rookie

Jul 30, 2011

I can even remember what I wore to my first teaching job interview way back in 1989. It was a skirt and blouse outfit that I had made myself. It was a blue floral pattern and I absolutley loved it.

Current position which came after 15 yrs of being just a mom and 4 yrs ago - Slacks and Jacket I bought at Ross but got rid of last year because I lost so much weight it was way too big.

18. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 30, 2011

Black dress pants, white crew neck sweater, pink blouse. I had received some extremely upsetting personal news while at my temp job, ended up needing time to pull myself together and didn't have time to get home to change into a more formal "interview" outfit.:eek:hmy:

I went into that interview figuring there was nothing that could upset me any more that day. Ended up being the most spontaneous I'd ever been in an interview ( I was almost detached, like watching the scene from outside my body). I not only got the job, I was able to choose which grade I wanted! I still have and wear that outfit.:2up:

19. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2011

I don't remember exactly, but I'm sure it was probably stirrup dress pants, flats, and a blouse. I was working as a full-time leave replacement substitute at the high school. The school year had just ended, and the assistant superintendent called me and asked if I'd be interested in the job I'd just left. I had to "interview" the next day. I wore dress slacks, flats or heels, and a blouse all the time to work. I'm sure I wore a work outfit.

Those clothes would have gone to Goodwill a long time ago. When I get tired of clothes or they don't fit, I give them away. No need in holding on to old clothes that I'll likely never wear.

20. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 30, 2011

Black pants, black suit and a abstract multi colored blouse. I really didn't think I had a chance and really thought it was more of a practice interview.

21. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 30, 2011

Yep! I was 7 months pregnant so my options were limited. I could still fit into my black pants, and I had a blazer that was loose fitting, so I wore a blue maternity tank top under that (school colors!). I was roasting hot! It was June, and again, I was blimpy pregnant at that point.

When I was offered the job, I was in my pajamas, in bed. The P called at 6:30 am!

22. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 31, 2011

Hey! You got offered a job when you were pregnant? That is awesome. You must have WOWED them at the interview!

23. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2011

I don't remember what I wore to my interview that landed me my first contract position, but for my current job, I had on Khakis and a long-sleeved t-shirt and had a large henna tattoo on my left hand and wrist. I certainly don't recommend that as interview attire! I was teaching, but needed to find anther job because declining enrollment meant a cut in staff. I got a call at 3:00 one day to go for an interview at 3:45. We were having a multi-cultural fair that day, hence my casual attire, and I wasn't able to leave until the students were dismissed at 3:30. My principal at the time called the principal who had requested the interview to give him the heads-up about my day; I received the call that I got the job 3 hours after my interview.

24. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2011

A black skirt with pink flowers, and a (nice) pink t-shirt. The process was a little different for me, as I was called through our church body (similar to a pastor). I had a phone interview, then was flown down for a visit. I didn't know until right after church that I was going to "meet the board," so I couldn't change outfits. Although, many of them were wearing their farm clothes (I think there was even a pair of overalls...), so I don't think it mattered too much!

25. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 31, 2011

Yep, I was very pregnant. My daughter was born on the second day of school.

26. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2011

At this point I really don't remember. I interviewed and then met with the principal for the formal job offer a few days after that. I don't remember what I wore either time. Pants, shirt, dress shoes.

27. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 31, 2011

It's really hard to remember what I had on 30+ years ago for my first and only interview. It must have been fine because I got the job. For my current job I was hired over the phone. The superintendent who called me was my former principal.

28. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Jul 31, 2011

Green silk shirt, black pants, and black dress shoes

29. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2011

Yes, and I haven't worn any of it since.

30. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 31, 2011

I wore a black and white dress because it was too hot to top it with a blazer. It's probably still here somewhere.

31. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

Jul 31, 2011

I wore a cute little black suit with white piping. I thought I looked very Jackie O! Two kids and 15 years later it I probably couldn't get it over 1 thigh:eek:

Must add getting back to exercising to my back to school list of things to do!

32. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Jul 31, 2011

I had just gotten back from my 2nd interview when I got the call with the offer, so I was still in my 'interview attire' which was my dress slacks and a light purple shirt with a matching necklace/bracelet combo that I made myself.

It is part of my work attire as well, so I will wear it often!