Do you remember a good student?

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by JLW, Sep 27, 2008.

1. JLW

JLW Rookie

Sep 27, 2008

An Open Letter To the Girl In My 10th/11th Grade Computer Class:

Dear Ms. C:

Earlier in the day I heard you discussing with another student your previous undescribed legal issues that have put you no less than TWO YEARS BEHIND in school. You quietly and simply described your schooling plans and life.

You walked from the regular classroom to the computer lab without running through the cafeteria screaming and pushing your friends. You carried your materials in a well-stacked bundle. On arrival, you requested the work for the session while everyone else waited for me to pass them out.

After receiving the worksheet you selected a computer away from the rest of the class, put on your glasses, and turned on your work station. You did not complain about the computer being 'too slow' or a 'piece of s---'.

While the other students instantly began surfing and checking their emails, you opened the recommended website and began working. Twice during the session, you raised your hand and asked me for advice and definitions, which I was happy to help you with.

You had made your way through most of the sheet when a student arrived with a pass to a meeting with a school official; you walked over and showed me the pass, telling me explicitly where you were going and why, and explaining you would not be able to finish the class. You requested any take-home or extra work, and when there was none, you said 'Thank you', and exited without slamming the door.

Ms. C: No, thank you. You made my day.

3. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Sep 27, 2008

I wish they were all like her, minus the legal issues, of course.

I also wish we had the time, after dealing with all the loud, misbehaving, bratty students, to give these good kids the time and attention they deserve. It's a shame that the lowest common denominator seems to get the most from us, and the cream gets what little is left. It ought to be the other way around.

Honestly, though, what ought to happen is that any student who refuses to behave properly in public be shown the door, so our schools can do what they were intended to do: educate all who wish to be educated.

4. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Sep 27, 2008

:thumb:
    :thumb:Amen! you said it all.Wouldn't it be nice if we could teach,without being a police officer or social worker.

5. wunderwhy

wunderwhy Comrade

Sep 27, 2008

I resolve to compliment at least one good student in each class on Monday!

6. JLW

JLW Rookie

Sep 28, 2008

If I run into Ms. C again I'm going to compliment her. I suspect she was a year or more behind from academic issues previously, and from what I gathered she'd just begun attending school again after almost a year incarceration. Whatever happened, she would have been charged as an adult.

She had 'The Look' and the behavior of someone who's been locked up for a while, and had the complex of fear, anxiety, careful obedience of rules, and obsessive care about her behavior you see in some recently released people.

I wish her the best. It sucks it took that level of hammering to get her to think, but... I don't know.

She's doing well, and she needs to know that.