Do you regret your decision to become a teacher?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by philosophical, Nov 7, 2007.

1. worrywart

worrywart Companion

Nov 17, 2007

Kind of. I do enjoy teaching but all the other stuff is too much to handle. The pressure is incredible. I'm only one person and how anyone can get all of this done and stay healthy and normal I don't know.

2. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Nov 17, 2007

I was BORN to teach....but, I am feeling the fire this year. It is my 2nd year and ironically, my first year was much easier. I have a difficult group of kids, I feel like I run out of time everyday & didn't get to everything, I waist alot of my instructional time getting the kids attention & dealing with behavior problems and not to forget, I have a student teacher basically using my room to fulfil her requirement!:mad::woot:I am very overwhelmed! Even though I have been doubting myself lately and feeling less of a good teacher these last couple of weeks, I couldn't see myself doing anything, anything, anything else! I used to beg to sit in the "toddler sunday school" when I was a little girl in church. I couldn't teach them anything about the bible, I just wanted to be "the teacher". I always wanted to do this, I just have to find that spark in me that I had last year.:(I made a vow to myself that I would try to stay calm when things get rough in the classroom, find a little bit more patience & have fun like I did last year with those kids.
    Teaching has to be in your blood. If it's not, don't do it! I wouldn't suggest anyone choose Education for a career as an after thought. Those are always the teachers who you see give just enough of themselves to their students, nothing more, nothing less. It is always so sad to witness that.

3. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Nov 28, 2007

A Happy 1st Year Teacher

Though I have the most difficult class in my school and the principal flat out told me that she would never ever come in and cover my class if need be (when I went in to sign my contract, she kept asking me if I was "completely sure" as to what I was "getting myself into")

AND though some days they are completely trying my patience---

AND though I have 34 students, 85% of which are below grade level---AND even though our school hours are 7:45am-3 (yes I have my angels that long M-F)

AND though I teach all subjects PLUS religion, art and music---

I love teaching. I cannot see myself doing anything else. Somewhere else, maybe, but I cannot fathom leaving the profession. I love my kids, I love trying :rolleyes: to get through a lesson without melee, and I love just looking at them as they are working and thinking "THIS is why I spent the time subbing and in school and student teaching." I cannot imagine not being able to look around the room in the early morning and think that "This is MY room!!"

It is my first year teaching. It is the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. It is more work than I have ever had to put into anything. (That being said, I do not always work 56 hour days. There are times when I spend a good chunk of time on school stuff, but not every single day. Organization, routine, and solid procedures are key.)

Of course there are days where I want to, as I tell the kids, "change my name and run away:D!!!" But that's been the same for any job I've had. You cannot be happy 24/7. I'm stressed, underpaid and the most loved teacher in the world...at least, that's what my kids say ;)

We all have different gifts and different levels of tolerance. I don't judge. All I know is that I have wanted to quit in the beginning, but never the profession, just my situation. It didn't change, I had to change my attitude and realize that I was there in that school with those kids for a reason. They need me to teach them as much as I need them to teach me!

4. juc162

juc162 Companion

Nov 28, 2007

I get my angels 8-4! It's craziness everyday to say the least!

5. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Nov 28, 2007

I'm a first year teacher also, and I LOVE my job. Yeah, it's stressful and a lot more work than what we're given credit for. But it's a job that I like going to-I don't dread going to work every morning. I love all of my kids, even the ones that get on your nerves sometimes. I wouldn't trade any of them for anything. Yeah, there are times that I am having a bad day or frustrated, but there are so many other good days. Since it's my first year, I don't expect to be perfect-which makes things easier.

My husband always says how easy teaching is, and it makes me mad! I wish he would come teach my class for a day.

The time-my school isn't near as long as some of the others. Kids are here from 8:20-3:00. I get here around 7:40 and a lot of days leave a 3:30. I'm really good about grading whenever I get a chance. I do take a lot of things home to grade, but I don't grade every night. One night I'll just grade some papers while I watch TV. It's not too bad. I probably wouldn't have any papers to grade at home if I stayed a little longer after school-but I'm ready to go home! And I go to the gym after school.

One thing that's frustrating is that I don't really have a mentor. Another teacher tells me what's going on, but I always feel like a lot is left out. Maybe it's just that she's been here a while so she doesn't remember to tell me some things. More than once I find out something that I had no clue about, and wish someone would have told me. But I've been feeling things out for myself, and I think everything is going well. My biggest thing is that I need to get more organized!

Oh-and I took a recess duty for a stipend. Now I only have about a 10 minute lunch, and the kids go outside when it's so cold I can barely stand it! I think I should quit the duty after this semester is over!

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 28, 2007

This is such great advice!!

7. Enigma_X

Enigma_X Rookie

Nov 28, 2007

Here's my responses:

Do you regret your decision to become a teacher?

More often than not, but I'm a first year. I keep trying to tell myself that I might love it next year, or the next.

Do you all really work from 7am-10pm every night?

No, not every night. Occasionally, though. 7 a.m. to 7 or 8 p.m. is pretty typical for me, though.

Are you always stressed out?

Pretty much.

Is teaching what you thought it would be?

No. A great deal of my stress level has to do w/ the fact that I spend so much of my time doing paperwork. And it is much, much lonelier than I had ever imagined.

Do you feel more like a babysitter at times?

That, or a zookeeper, or occasionally a cop. And I teach 9th grade!

8. smalltowngal

Nov 28, 2007

Engima, what part of TX?

9. Enigma_X

Enigma_X Rookie

Nov 28, 2007

About 80 miles from San Antonio.

10. smalltowngal

Nov 28, 2007

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay south of me. :D
    Sorry about the hijack.

11. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Nov 28, 2007

Mine too!!! He's a police officer & I tell him at least he doesn't have to see his "clients" every single day for a million months..and be responsible for their behavior! I told him I'd trade him for a day & that he'd BEG for his job back! :D

12. LA/FLnewbie

LA/FLnewbie Companion

Nov 29, 2007

This is exactly how I feel! I hate spending so much time just sifting through homework. And it IS lonely -- I hardly even see the other teachers, and then I go home and grade papers alone until my boyfriend comes home, and we both pass out from exhaustion -- it hardly feels like a life at all! I am daydreaming about the good old days when work was work and home was home :( But, I keep reminding myself that the trade-off is getting a lot more vacation time :)

13. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Nov 29, 2007

My husband has come in a couple times-he brought a cake in for my birthday. Well, he comes in really loud, holding up a cake in the middle of math. The cake was nice, but he disrupted class! I had to get my students to finish 30-40 more minutes of math while he sat there with a cake, joking around. He even kept raising his hand and my kids would tell me-"Mr. XYZ has a question!" Yeah, it was annoying. Lol.

So, that was really fun for him. But if he was a teacher, he wouldn't be able to just joke around like that. I wish he would understand that having fun with the kids is not the same as teaching them!

14. smalltowngal

Nov 29, 2007

Far, that sounds like something my husband would do!

15. Enigma_X

Enigma_X Rookie

Nov 29, 2007

No problem. Do you live in the Panhandle, by any chance? I grew up there.

16. smalltowngal

Nov 29, 2007

No, DFW area.

17. Enigma_X

Enigma_X Rookie

Dec 1, 2007

Gotcha. I went to school at UNT in Denton. I still have a lot of friends in the DFW area. I'd like to move back at some point, but it's very competitive when you haven't got much experience.

18. smalltowngal

Dec 1, 2007

A friend of mine went to UNT as well as my dad...a long time ago of course.

I've heard that certain districts are competetive.