Do you recycle lesson plans each year?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by MissaKay, Mar 29, 2018.

1. MissaKay

MissaKay Rookie

Mar 29, 2018

Hello everyone...
    I have just spent my entire Spring break as a first year special ed teacher organizing all of my materials we used into neat boxes...but as I did this I realized that as a self contained teacher I will have at least half of my students again next year.
    I was wondering, of you have the same set of students, do you recycle old themes and lessons and just do different crafts/worksheets? Or do you completely start fresh and create an all new curriculum?

When I did my student teaching in a gen ed room the teacher was using worksheets from the 90s. She had everything she ever made, plus the curriculum from the school. Teaching alternatively assessed kids in self contained, I have no curriculum...I had to start from scratch.

I guess I'm just worried about next year...and the year after. Do I have to make or buy all new material year after year? Or can I use the same stuff even if I have some of the same students?

3. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Mar 30, 2018

This is one of the downsides to sped that people don't realize. You definitely can't just reuse the same materials/plans from year to year. I teach resource, and I'm K-3 so I have many students for several years in a row. I'm in my 8th year of teaching and this is the first year I've ever actually had curriculum to use. Previously I had to make/find everything.

I find that the needs of my students change so much every year that it doesn't even make sense to try to start with last year's plans and "tweak them." I just start over. Even trying to say, "Okay, this is what I did with 2nd graders last year..." doesn't work, because the next year's 2nd graders aren't going to be in the same instructional spot nor will they move at the exact same pace.

That said, I do find that planning goes faster now because I have more ideas in general and can come up with a quicker plan for what my students need. For example, if one of my reading groups is working on closed syllable words vs. v-e syllable words, that's a concept I've taught a lot so I have some general ideas and resources to pull from.

ecteach likes this.
  4. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Mar 30, 2018

I also cannot use the same lesson plans because I have the same students for several years. I do use ideas that worked before and then just change them up some to a new topic or more difficult topic. I know of teachers in general ed who use the same plans every year as guidelines and just change something that now is required to add. At least the curriculum is planned out.

For example, there is going to be a change for math next year for sped but really don't know what it is or how it will affect my classes. However, I have to have my students ready this year for this change I don't know about. Admin will be making decisions over the summer which means I will know probably about a week before school starts!

5. ca_sped

ca_sped Rookie

Mar 31, 2018

I have my students for three years (Mod-Severe self-contained classroom), so I do a three year rotation on (group) lessons. I do revise them as needed, because I note what worked and what didn't work the last time I taught the lessons. I have binders and binders of worksheets! IEP goal stuff is so individualized that I can generally use the same worksheets since different students will be working on different things at different times.

XWordHobbyist likes this.
  6. resourcestress

resourcestress Rookie

Apr 12, 2018

I have the same students for 2 years in high school restricted English setting. I rotate lessons, example one year Gatsby and Of Mice and Men, next year I do Black Duck and Out of the Dust. These books fit the time periods of the classics. I have basic lessons for all and adjust as needed each year. I have basic writing that I repeat because they need the practice and repetition for writing, grammar and spelling.
    Try making basic skills lessons that you can build on or subtract from and keep in binders or flash drives. I got tired of looking through files and now save everything on two flash drives that's also back upped on the school drive.
    Get a subscription to edhelper.com ( costs 20$ worth it) and newsela.com

7. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jun 2, 2018

Some lessons I keep and use again and some I don’t reuse. I am lucky that I work in a district that provides a curriculum for our kids. I have learned not to become a hoarder, which is hard in our profession.