Do you recommend teaching in your children's school?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heavens54, May 16, 2010.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

May 16, 2010

Or does it matter if your children go to the school where you are employed or not? Looking for opinions on this subject. What are your thoughts? Personally I think it could be distracting. I see both pros and cons...

3. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

May 16, 2010

I love it. I get us all to school on time every day. I know what their classrooms are working on, and can even switch classes with their teachers on occasion, just for fun. My girls mention that other parents volunteer, but I don't as much, so this is a good solution for me.

4. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 16, 2010

Many teachers (at least 5-6) at my site have their children at our school. In fact, one teacher has her own son in her class. She's going to have him again next year, too, because she teaches a 4/5 combo. I think it's very convenient for teachers to have their children at school with them, and I can't think of any "cons."

Personally, though, I don't think I'd want my own kid in my class.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 16, 2010

I've never taught in the district in which I live so it wasn't an issue for me. For teachers to bring their kids to my school from out of district, they would pay $13K per school year...

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 16, 2010

There is rarely anything other than that here. We only have one school district, with a pre-k/k, two elementaries, one middle, and one high school. Most of our teachers live in-district. Most elementary teachers take their children to the elementary where they work unless they have a way to get them home since the busses don't run between those schools. Some out of district students attend our school with parents, too.

It's the norm, so it's not an issue.

7. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

May 16, 2010

Con:
    If your child is not the best behaved little darling, you'll hear about it all the time from other children. Some teachers think that since you work there, they need to approach you every day about something.

Pro:
    Too many to list.

I kept my son with me until the beginning of 4th grade. That was the only year I had major problems out of him and his teacher. That was the only year the administration did not allow teachers to handpick the teacher for their child. She was a nutcase, poor teacher, had no control, etc. I pulled him out and sent him to another school after about six weeks. By 5th, he had made friends at the new school, so he stayed there. I think, in his case, it worked out fine. He was happier having his own world separate from me. I liked having a bit of time after school without having to cater to him.

But I truly think that my situation is not the norm. I'd keep your child with you if it works out.

8. busybeeZ

busybeeZ Rookie

May 16, 2010

I love having my son at my school. Especially since I make a pretty serious commute to school. He used to have to go to an afterschool program and I would pick him up by 5, but now he attends my school and is thriving!

There is a mix at my school though, there are 7 of us whose kids go to the school, and a few who send their kids to other schools.

9. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

May 16, 2010

Speaking as someone who went to a high school with a multitude of teacher's kids... the cons are more for the kids than the parents. Sure, it's convenient... but when the school play is cast with teacher's kids in the lead roles, and scholarship committee awards scholarships to teacher's children, there tends to be a negative perception of those students. Perhaps some of these students were deserving of the awards/roles they received, but I think it took some of the joy away from them feeling they really earned these opportunities when they had other students crying nepotism.

Personally, if I had children, I wouldn't want to have them in my school.

10. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

May 16, 2010

Most of the kids of the teachers at my school go to or went to our school. It has never been a problem. Each teacher handles it differently; some send their kids to before or after care, some send the kids home on the bus, some keep their kids with them.

I guess it's just what you're comfortable with.

11. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 16, 2010

I don't have children and I'm on the fence about if I would send them to the school I work at. I guess it depends on who is teaching there. They probably would end up going there because I would have my mom watch them until I was finished. And she lives in the town I work in.

12. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

May 16, 2010

I would be fine with my child being at the school I teach at, provided that she is not in my classroom.

13. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

May 16, 2010

I have several staff kids in my class. I think all the parents like being able to see them in the hallways throughout the day. One of my girls shows her mom what they're working on every time she comes in-so proud of it. The only time I've ever had a problem is when the student is really dependent/clingy with the parent and can't walk past them without crying because they can't go with them.

One other down side is what to do with them when there's a meeting after school or the teacher is doing tutorials or something.

14. hac711

hac711 Companion

May 16, 2010

At my school, most teachers have their kids there, and have taught their own kids. One pro is that if the child is misbehaving, all have to to say is "all I need to do is walk down the hall..." that's enough to get them straight. A con is one teacher/parent comes and sticks her head in and tries to undermine my authority (oh johnny doesn't know what he did wrong, why is he in time out? how come you didn't explain it to him? really lady? He kicks a boy in the head and doesn't understand why he is in time out???) but she is a nutcase. From a teacher's point of view, I find it great to have my co-workers kids in my class!

15. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

May 16, 2010

My daughters do not go to the school where I teach. Even if I wanted to take them, they are not allowed because we participate in a NJ school choice program. One of the stipulations for my district when being approved as a recieving district for school choice was no other tuition students, so since I live out of district, they go to another school in our neighborhood.

Having said all that though, I might have considered taking my daughters to school with me for Pre-K but beyond that - I don't think that it would be beneficial for my girls. I would want to know too much about what is going on, and they would miss out on opportunities to become their own person.

None of the teachers at our school with kids live in town, so none of the teacher's kids are there. weird now that I think about it. none.

16. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

May 16, 2010

We have one school in our district and it is k-12. I know, that in a few years, my kids will be in my classroom since I am the only teacher that teaches my subject in our small high school. I love the benefits. My kids ride to school with me and come home with me. When they have a snow day, I have a snow day. I know their friends (not a pro in their book sometimes). I am always just a phone call away from their teachers. I personally think it is great.
    Just in comparison - if a teacher lives out-of-district, their children are allowed to attend our school tuition free. Out-of-district students can come to our school, but the tuition is around $5000-$6000.

17. teacherheath

teacherheath Companion

May 16, 2010

My kindergarten son is at my school. I absolutely love having him there. We're both part of the same school community.

18. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

May 16, 2010

I have worked at the same school and loved it for the most part. I felt a real connection with what they are experiencing. The only con is my oldest is a good kid but likes to push the envelope sometimes. The teachers were fine - it was the parents who would come and tattle to me - very annoying and I basically had to politely say it was none of their business.

When they were in high school I taught in the adjoining adult school. My oldest purchased his senior parking place within site of my classroom so I always new when he was late, etc. He was so frustrated because he thought someone was ratting him out - he didn't realize all I did was look out my window - lol! He left campus once to take a girl to lunch and got caught coming back for class (closed campus). The v.p. just brought him straight to my room and said whatever I would do was worse that what he would do - he was right - I took his car away for the rest of his senior year - poor baby - but it sure made an impression on his younger brothers. In fact, the middle one didn't get his license until he was 18 cause he said having a car gave me too much power - fine with me!

19. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

May 16, 2010

My sons are at my school.
    I was hesitant at first, but would HIGHLY recommend it.

20. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

May 16, 2010

My son attends the schools where I teach (currently he's in K and I teach 1st). We both love it! As a dad, I feel really lucky to be able to be actively involved in his education. He still gets a huge kick out of seeing me. I can visit him and give him a couple minutes of extra attention during his lunch time.

The other day when we were chatting he said "You know, I'm famous. Most people at our school know me!" Cute!

So far it's been great for both of us!

21. sydneygirl

sydneygirl Rookie

May 17, 2010

I teach at the same school as my child. We have been on/in the same grade once. There are six other teachers at my school who have their children there. We don't have our own child in our class but the principal is happy that our children come to his school. Many parents have commented that if the teachers are happy to send their children to the same school, then that's reassuring. We part in the morning and meet again at home time. I talk to his teacher as a friend regularly but I only meet with her about my child like all other parents. Everything works well. :)

22. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

May 17, 2010

I would highly recommend it.. I love having my kids with me at school and they love it as well!! I get to see them throughout the day, which is a huge plus. I was a stay-at-home mom before I started teaching, so it made much easier to go back to work knowing my kids would be at school with me. My son loves that I can stop and give him a hug during lunch!! :)

23. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

May 17, 2010

My son went from K-5th at my school, but never in my class. I was lucky to be able to pick the teacher I thought he would would work the best with. Never a problem before or after school because he could stay in my room and read or work on homework, or watch a video. I would lock him in if I went to a meeting or go to a class with another teacher's child. We got to have some great conversations going to and coming from school. I had the same problem that a previous poster mentioned--kids felt it necessary to come and tell me what kind of day my son was having and that did get tiresome. When we had hurricane warnings, I was always so glad he was with me at my school. I knew I could grab him in a minute. I think there are far more pros than cons.

24. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

May 17, 2010

I had my son in class - at his request, even knowing, from the other kids, about my rep as a "tough teacher" (I took it as a huge compliment that he wanted to be in my class anyway (grin!)) Both he and I just treated each other like any other student/teacher, eccept he was able to call me "mom" (smile!) (By the way, he earned a "B".)

25. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

May 17, 2010

I have seen it from both angles because my mom taught at my high school and I had her twice and I taught where my daughter's attended school but never had them in class. I liked that we could all go to and from school together. I did not like that teachers would come and tell me things my daughter did. If you would call home about that normally then fine--come tell me but if you would not call a parent and tell them about it then I do not want to hear it.

26. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

May 17, 2010

In our county, we don't have a choice. We have 2 outlying elementary schools (grades k-5 in one building with about 15 kids). That means the rest of the k-12 population is in town. So, my kids will be in the same school as me, and in my classes. Also, since it is such a small district, our kids can come to our rooms after school. So, yes, I definately see benefits having kids at the same school I teach at. But I also know no other way.

27. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

May 17, 2010

One of our 5th grader's mom is also a 5th grade teacher, and she went ahead and had her child placed in her classroom. We are departmentalized, so the girl only has her mom for reading and for a bit of homeroom. It's worked out great for them. The girl calls her mother Mrs. So-and-So in class. Cute.

28. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

May 17, 2010

As a single parent, I would love working at the same school where my boys go. Not only would I have the chance to see them during the day, it would also make life a bit easier during the time they are with me. Their school is large enough that I could teach the same grade without having them in my class. If I did have them in my class, I hope I would treat them like any other student, but the truth is I would probably be harder on them.

I had a student during my ST whose mom taught at the same school. He had her class and his sister will have her the next two years. If anything, the mom was more demanding on the son in her class. I did go to her a few times about some issues with him, but it was stuff I would have contacted any parent about. The son also had a bad habit of forgetting his coat or backpack at the end of the day and he rode the bus home. It was very convenient for his mom that I could bring his stuff to her room so he had it for the next day (especially the coat during the winter). :)

29. blueandgold

blueandgold Rookie

May 18, 2010

I love being at the same school as my son. He really likes it too. I am only there part time, but hope to be full time soon.