Do you read reviews of the preschools you currently work for or interested in?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Missus James, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Missus James

Missus James Rookie

Dec 11, 2013

So I have an interview tomorrow with a preschool that has been open for over 15 years. It's for a three-year-old lead teaching position. The director called me to set up an interview and she seemed very pleasant on the phone. To prepare for my interview tomorrow, I went on the website to find out more information about the preschool like the curriculum, the policies, and anything else I could find, so that I am not completely clueless come the interview.

During this search, I saw that the center has two reviews on Google. So I clicked the review section and read them. They weren't very nice reviews. It talked about the staff and the director and the condition of the center among other things. I've never been to this center, so I have no idea if this is true or not.

However, I am curious. Do reviews of what parents think matter to you if you are currently working at a center or if you are interested in a center?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 11, 2013

The vast majority of reviews of anything tend to be bad ones. People who are satisfied rarely take the time to say so online. So, whether it's a vacation spot, a movie or a preschool, take the reviews with a grain of salt.

Go to the interview determined to ace it... and, while you're there, determine your own opinion.

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 12, 2013

Do you know anyone in PS in your area? If you area is small enough, everyone will know the quality of the center. I lived in a small town, and everyone knew which places were less than desirable, and which were great. A good hint as to quality might be a full enrollment. When you tour the facility, is it DAP?

5. Missus James

Missus James Rookie

Dec 12, 2013

I live in a very large city and the area is about 15 miles from where I live. I am very familiar with the area though. However, I know nothing about this preschool. Their website has a lot of information though about their credentials and their accreditations. I'll admit they are very impressive. However, I have worked in highly accredited preschools in the past and it wasn't the physical quality of the center, it was the people inside of it that ultimately made me leave. I will remember to tour the place and note if they are:

• DAP
    • The space and quality of the room
    • How readily available are resources
    • What the children are like in the whole center and that particular class
    • The curriculum
    • The staff and their interactions with each other and how they respond to me. Do they seem to enjoy being there or do they look bored out of their mind? I am not talking about them bouncing up and down like a bunny. I am just talking about do they look like they want to be there.

Those are the few things I will be considering because those are the things I didn't consider at my previous jobs and I am tired of choosing preschools who don't have any of these things and having to cough money out of own pocket or deal with bored staff who look like they'd rather surf on the back of a shark than do their job.

Aliceacc, you are so right! Most of the time, people don't review a business or a product if they are satisfied. Which is a shame.

6. Missus James

Missus James Rookie

Dec 12, 2013

Okay, I went to the interview. The curriculum and the center's philosophy is very child-oriented and DAP. The staff seem to enjoy being there. However, the quality and space of the room isn't too good. It is the smallest room in the building. Like it's really, really, really small. It would be me and 10 three-year-olds. Nine boys and one girl. The last teacher left the room very very messy. Everything is so crammed. I would basically have to put away some things and move some things around. I would have to reorganize EVERYTHING!