Do you prefer dressing up and feeling professional or dressing down and feeling comf

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 23, 2010

Do you prefer dressing up and feeling professional or dressing down and feeling comfy

I tend to mix it up. At the beginning of the week I dress up, towards the end I prefer khakis and a polo or school tee. ALWAYS jeans on casual Fridays :)

3. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Aug 23, 2010

I like to dress up in skirts and dresses most of the time. If I am sick, then I dress much more casual. My students last year could tell how I was feeling based on what I was wearing:)

4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 23, 2010

I tend to wear skirts unless it's that time of the month. Then I wear slacks. We are not allowed to wear jeans ever, but sometimes we can wear school shirts, and I usually participate in that.

5. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2010

For me, it depends on the day. When I'm with kids alllllllllllllll day long and then have class at night, then I need to dress comfortably. When I need to dress professionally, then I do.

I'd say I tend to dress more on the comfortably side than the professionally side.

6. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Aug 23, 2010

I only wear jeans on Fridays, then usually with a school T or a nicer top. I really do believe my kids act a little bit more squirrely than usual when I don't dress professionally. So that's what I usually do. I just feel better in my nicer clothes too.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2010

I dress up every day. I'm usually in a skirt, often in either a skirt or pants suit.

8. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 23, 2010

My dress clothes are comfortable! I LOVE skirts and dresses, so that is never a chore for me! I do wear jeans sometimes, but it's allowed at my school.

9. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Aug 23, 2010

I like to be comfortable, but neat and clean. pants, knit shirts, nothing that needs to be ironed LOL

however, once in a while a skirt does show up on my body - but only if my daughters do not have an activity after school, because 8 hours is about the limit for a skirt, heels or boots.

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2010

I like to dress up. It affects my mood. On the first day last year, the principal told us we could wear jeans with a school shirt or school colors. I hated it. Jeans on the first day? That's the day I get to wear my back to school outfit and make a good impression. I am not going to participate if they do that this year.

I have discovered, though, that when I don't feel well or need to be comfy, I have a navy blue knit wrap dress and a pair of grey leggings that I will wear. It still looks dressed up, but it pretty much feels like wearing pajamas.

11. SciTeacherNY

SciTeacherNY Companion

Aug 23, 2010

I prefer to be dressed up. I tend to wear dresses and skirts paired with cute heels.

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 23, 2010

My dress clothes are as comfortable as my casual clothes, so it really doesn't matter to me. I really don't ever go really casual like jeans/t-shirts in public. I do wear oversize ratty t-shirts and shorts at home . . . a lot.

13. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2010

Comfortable. I'd wear pajama bottoms if ..... OK I know I'll get flamed for that.

I prefer comfort. I'd like to curl up in my bed and teach....No, going too far.

I prefer blue jeans and a t-shirt, and if a child felt like being disrespectful, I'd take my hiking boots and.....No. Stop.

I need to go take a nap. Fifth graders make me tired.

14. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2010

They also smell. We had the "personal hygiene" talk today. Maybe the fumes made me cranky.

15. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 23, 2010

I'd rather dress down and be comfortable. We have a joke at my school that we're all better teachers when we wear jeans. :) We're only allowed to wear them on spirit days (usually once a month) so we're always especially happy when those days roll around.

16. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 23, 2010

I've never thought jeans and a t-shirt were comfortable. T-shirts are always too tight around my neck, and they bug me. Jeans aren't all tha tcomfy either. They never fit me correctly, which is probably the issue. I hate athletic shoes, too.

Give me a pair of dress slacks, a v-neck/scoop neck blouse, and dress shoes any day!

17. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2010

:lol:

18. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2010

In all honesty, the last time I dressed up was for my interview four years ago. And that still didn't come close to being a suit of any sort. I don't think fashion is a waste of time because I can see how it's an art and form of expression to many, but I personally don't value it much at all. I'm a creature of comfort. And I'm an effective teacher no matter what I wear.

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2010

I dress professionally every work day.

20. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2010

I wear dresses except for on Fridays when we can wear jeans.

It was funny last year-a student came in for the field trip with his mom. The mom turns to him and said, "I told you she wouldn't wear a dress to the field trip!" (I was wearing jeans and a school shirt.) I guess I really do wear dresses all the time!

21. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 23, 2010

I pretty well wear jeans and a cotton top or sweater every day. I work with kids with severe behaviours so I have to be prepared for anything at any time without worrying about my clothes since I won't get reimbursed for any damage done to my clothing. I would love to wear something nicer though...

22. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Aug 23, 2010

I prefer to be comfortable.... it actually makes me feel MORE confident, when I can be relaxed about what I have on. Dressing up is something I never did by choice, so I just don't feel as calm and collected when I'm dressed up. I do dress up during the week, but I tend to lean towards khakis as it gets to the end of the week, and I *love* casual Fridays.

23. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2010

Most days, I wear dressy pants with a nice shirt and blazer or sweater and I often add a scarf for a pop of colour. I always wear shoes that I can move quickly in--I often get called to deal with a student who is having difficulties in class and I need to get there quickly. I will "dress-down" on Fridays--jeans or khakis with a school shirt or fleece cardigan--only if I don't have a meeting scheduled.

24. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2010

Everytime I dress up, I know I'd feel more comfortable dressed down. It's a shoe issue that I'm determined to solve.

25. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2010

I prefer to be comfy, but the kids react better when I dress up...so during the week it's skirts, dresses, or slacks. Fridays are casual days so it's jeans and a school shirt!

26. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Aug 23, 2010

We have to dress up every day. I wish I could wear jeans.

27. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 23, 2010

Even though I wear jeans pretty well every day at school. I hate wearing jeans. I rarely wear them outside of work.

28. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 23, 2010

I dress up almost every day except Friday and it's jeans, but I still wear one pound of jewelry. ;) I enjoy dressing up and it makes me feel more professional.

29. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 24, 2010

Hi! I tend to think about dressing "cool" rather than whether it's professional or casual -- it's SO hot in So. Florida right now and we spend time outdoors. :)

Cotton or rayon dresses with short sleeves that go below your knee are my new favorite things! They're light and airy!

We can wear jeans every other Friday... my Maternity jeans just came in the mail from JC Penney. I haven't tried them on yet as they look too long and the stomach panel thing is just scary! :D

30. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Aug 24, 2010

I always dress professionally for work. Monday through Thursday, that means dress slacks, button-down shirt and a tie. On Friday, I leave off the tie.

31. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Aug 24, 2010

I dress profesionally, but comfortably. During August and most of the fall, I usually wear knit dresses (like from Old Navy or Target), but I always look professional. We have to dress cool, because it is so hot on our playground. Also, I can't wear lots of super nice clothes because I teach kindergarten, and well.....they are kindergarten kids - they snot, sneeze, and do stuff on you. :)

I also wear pants, but I always make sure that it is super nice. We have casual Fridays, so I can wear jeans and a school shirt if I choose.

32. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2010

Okay, inspired by this thread (and prior observations) I drew up some pictures on different ways that teachers dress: :D

1) First you have the teachers who wear the suits
    [​IMG]

2) Then you have the hipster teachers who wear things like skinny jeans, flats, leggings, cute t-shirts, etc.
    [​IMG]

3) Now we have our polo teachers. I notice some teachers who wear polos all the time and bascially own every single color and pattern (my husband fits this category, although he also does button downs to work)
    [​IMG]

4) Super comfy teachers!! :) They tend to wear jeans and sweaters. Or, comfy tops with capris. Perfect clothes if you are a lower elem teacher. I stopped wearing my really nice clothes when I realized that I was coming home with sticky glue/markers/boogers when I taught kinder.
    [​IMG]

5) Stylish-Teachers. I have a few at my school. They never fail to look adorable and professional.
    [​IMG]

6) Too-Revealing-Teachers. Usually dresses in short dresses and low tops.
    [​IMG]

33. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2010

Anything else that I'm missing??

34. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2010

We have chapel on Monday mornings, so that means a dressy outfit. But I'm the organist, and it can be a little tricky doing that in a skirt, so I usually wear pants then. Pretty much every other day I wear a skirt or dress until it gets cold. I find them very comfortable, but I HATE wearing nylons, so in winter the slacks come out. I do tend to get a little more casual as the week goes on--nice khakis and a cute sweater, as opposed to dress slacks and a button-down skirt, for example.

We have "comfort days" on Fridays of payday weeks. I don't always wear jeans, but I love the opportunity to wear comfy shoes!

35. Miztdawn29

Miztdawn29 Rookie

Aug 24, 2010

THough most teachers at my school dress pretty casually, I aim for slacks, skirts, heels, etc. I want my students (who are very impoverished) to see someone who looks like them in a professional manner so they can visualize themselves in that way as well. THough I do wear jeans and a school sweater on Fridays :)

36. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2010

We have one aide who inspires- "someone her size shouldn't wear that" (leggings and a too tight T-shirt or shorts that ride up). As someone "her size", I know what not to wear.

Love the comics, Peachy!

37. Miztdawn29

Miztdawn29 Rookie

Aug 24, 2010

Those drawings are awesome! They really do sum up the various outfits! HA! I laughed out loud!

38. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Aug 24, 2010

I WISH we could wear either jeans to work or that we were assigned a uniform like the kids (something simple like navy pants and a white collar shirt) because i teach little ones which means that if I wear "nice" work clothes, i can't get down on the floor with them and really be as hands on and comfortable as i like because i don't want to dirty my slacks or skirt or blouse.

i LOVE fridays. i got a pair of jeans from torrid that look like slacks because they are dark blue stretchy material. i am going to wear those and a collar shirt.

EDIT: Peachy -- Based on your comic, I'd say I'm a comfy-hipster

39. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2010

:lol: I might have to make this into a comic on my page and do some sort of poll type thing.

40. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Aug 24, 2010

That would be AWESOME. btw, your stylish teacher looks to me like she's walking down the catwalk. When I first saw the picture, I thought the students were her audience. :lol:

41. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 24, 2010

I wear a dress, hose, and heels every day. It was 102 degrees today and we don't have air conditioning in our building. I was still dressed appropriately.