Do you post standards in your classroom?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Miss Kirby, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Aug 8, 2007

We do not need to do this. Do you think the kids really read them?

2. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Aug 9, 2007

I'm from Canada, and by the word "standard" I'm a little confused :huh:

are we talking about the subject's curriculum? or the standard of excellence to getting a 10 out of 10 (rubric checklist)?

if you would give me a word for word example of an American standard, I could lend my brain to the thread.

3. Buttons

Buttons Rookie

Aug 9, 2007

I believe Standards are like our learning outcomes in Canada.

4. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2007

We're required to post them in the hall and in the classroom for language arts. No one ever said they had to be in the original language, so we "butchered" the teacherese and made them kid-friendly. Other grade levels don't have as much nerve as we do. I think it's crazy to walk down the kindergarten hall and see this "gobbletygook" on the walls.

I like posting the EQ's though. The one I wrote for the first day of school was "How are you getting home?" The kids thought it was funny too.

5. Lysander

Lysander Companion

Aug 10, 2007

I post my objectives (in formal educational language, unfortunately) on one section of my chalkboard, using different colors for each subject. These colors match the sentence strips I use for my content area Word Wall words. They are in the form: "Students will...(process words here) in order to...(what the students produce/outcome)." For example, "Students will apply knowledge of ordinal numbers in order to sequence numbers one through twenty" I discuss with the kids what the objectives mean at the beginning of the lesson, and then our closure is to look at the objective again and discuss whether we met the objective or not.

6. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2007

This is a little off subject, but we are not required to post standards during instruction. But we are required to post "Teaching points" during reading workshop and writing workshop. For example: " T.P: Writers revise by adding details to an important part". So I will definately take these ideas with me and do something more permanent than what I've been doing. I would just write the teaching point on the board, but I think now I will make laminated teaching points that I can put magnet strips on and reuse over and over every year. As long as I teach 2nd grade, the teaching points wont change that much, I hope.:) Great ideas!!

7. BASAM

BASAM Comrade

Aug 12, 2007

Standards are posted because it is a requirement-don't use them at all.

I do have an objective board were they are written daily in "kid friendly" language for every subject.