Do you play games

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by sumnerfan, Sep 27, 2007.

1. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Sep 27, 2007

What kind of games do you play with your kids? I've been teaching a couple of years but I don't really know any games beside jeopardy.

Thanks in advance for your help.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 27, 2007

Since your in English, you could try playing a form of "Merv Griffin's Crosswords" It's a new game show that is set up just like crosswords. Good thing its on now because I wouldn't have thought about it had it not been.

4. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Sep 27, 2007

I play sponge baseball, basketball, bingo,

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 27, 2007

Sorry, I'm of no help to you. I don't do games.

6. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Sep 27, 2007

Alice, have you ever tried doing any math type games I did them last year and they worked out great. Then again I do have 90 minute periods and you onlyt have 40 minute ones.

7. Mr.G

Mr.G Rookie

Sep 27, 2007

I stole this game from Survivor:

Draw a circle on the chalkboard and have 12 spokes coming out of it. Put a magnet at the top of the circle, and one on the bottom.

Spilt the class into two teams

Every time the team gets a question right, you move their magnet forward one space. Everytime they get it wrong, move them back two.

First team to catch the other one wins (you can only do this by getting things right...if you get stuff wrong and back into the other team you lose).

Now, you can also change it up by saying: once you've answered a question, you can't go until everyone else has gone.

This makes it better for review

8. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Sep 27, 2007

How do you play sponge baseball? What do you use it for?

9. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Sep 27, 2007

This sounds good. Thanks.

10. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Sep 27, 2007

I've never seen that. What station does it come on?

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 27, 2007

It comes on nbc at 2:00 central time.

12. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Sep 27, 2007

SPONGEBASEBALL:
    1. Divide the class into teams of two.
    2. Draw a baseball diamond on the ball
    3. Write various baseball terms on the wall, like (strike out, homerun, double triple, single, fly out, ground out, walk, etc.)
    3. Members of each team come up untill they get three outs. Then we switch. Each team goes once per inning.
    4. I ask the member up a question, if they get it right they get to bat. Meaning they through the sponge at the board. Whatever, phrase they hit is what their player gets to do. So say the first two players hit doubles, one player is on second and the other is on first. The next player then hits a home run and scores three runs for the team.

5.If the player gets the question wrong they get an out, if they hit me they get an out, if they hit fly out they get an out.

6. After a specified number of innings the team with the most point wins. The winning team gets 5 bonus points on their test.

*I make the kids copy down all questions and they turn it in for a homework grade.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 27, 2007

Honestly, no. I guess they're simply not my style. (That and 30+ kids in a 38 minute (if we're lucky) period. Tomorrow, because of the fall pep rally, our periods are 29 minutes.)

I do kid around in class a lot, but games simply aren't my style. No criticism implied here, it's just not how I teach.

14. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Sep 27, 2007

I play BINGO a lot (works for any subject). You need blank bingo sheets and a word list ( I usually have about 40 words). I play Around the World (works for a lot of subjects too). "I Have, Who Has?" and Pictionary too.

15. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 27, 2007

I play sponge basketball for review. When the kid answers a question right, he gets to throw a ball into the trashcan for an extra point. Burns some energy, and gets all the kids involved.

16. KLily21

KLily21 Companion

Sep 27, 2007

I like that Survivor game! I wish I could adapt it so that more than one student is involved in each question. Any ideas how to make that work?

17. Ms.H

Ms.H Companion

Sep 28, 2007

With smaller/ well-beahaved classes, I play human tic-tac-toe. I use colored tape on the floor to mark a tic-tac-toe board (you can do two games at once if you want), and make teams of about five each. (I usually have a total of five teams, so there is one team sitting out, studying on their own.) Each team has a dry-erase board. I ask a question, and the first team to hold up a dry erase board with a correct answer gets to put a player on the board. Whoever gets a tic-tac-toe first wins. I usually have the winning teams rotate out to be the sitting out team so there's a reward for winning, or, if I have two games going on, they winners rotate to the next board and then out.

18. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Sep 28, 2007

Alice, I understand what you are saying I could never schedule games with less than an hour periods. I understnad they are not your style they were not mine orginally with math, but so many kids cannot stand the subject so I try to lighted it up a little bit. Something needs to be done Math is hated accross the country. I do math games whenever I can find them within each units, but I always play soome type of review game before each test. How do you review for each test? My kids love putting answers up on the board we do that alot. They also love going to the board and race to see who gets the first answer.

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 29, 2007

ACtually, this year I've been working on getting more kids up to the board on a daily basis. When we get to the part of the class where they're using today's new skill, I call them up. I kid about it with them... how I'm desperately trying to be a "cutesy" teacher and they laugh, but they're enjoying it.

I don't review a whole lot for my tests. I do it here and there... a Do Now or an extra problem at the end of the period. But I test every 2 weeks without fail. I would lose a LOT of classes if I reviewed one period before each of those tests. (Of course, the flip side is that the tests are only on 2 weeks worth of material, so they shouldn't need quite so much review.)

Again, I'm not knocking those whose style is different than mine. Each of us eventually finds out what works for us; this is what works for me.

20. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Sep 29, 2007

I just made a Blitzball board, which I got the idea for in a differentiation book.
    Basically, you can use it to review any material. The board is about 2.5 ft by 2.5 feet of plywood. There is a large circle cut in the center and 4 smaller circles in the corners. Split the class in 2 team. call one child at a time to ask a review question (differentiation part- ask a Q where they are likely to have success) If they get the Q correct they can try to earn points for thier tema by tossing the bean bag at the blitzball board. If it only hits the board its 1 point, if it goes in the large circle its 2 points, if in the small circle 3 points. Add up team totals at the end to see who wins (incorporating some math!)

21. new teacher too

new teacher too Rookie

Oct 1, 2007

I would definitely go for 'celebrity heads'. the kids love it, and it can be adapted to all learning areas as well as ability levels. It works well as a whole class activity and is equally at home in small group work. The kids can even make up their own 'celebrities', so all you have to do is monitor.

22. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Oct 1, 2007

What is celebrity heads?

23. Ms. Geography

Ms. Geography Comrade

Oct 1, 2007

What is around the world?

24. koocat008

koocat008 Companion

Oct 1, 2007

scrabble

25. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 1, 2007

I've learned this: Think about any classic game (or any game for that matter) and you can adapt it to your subject if you try and motify it some.

26. new teacher too

new teacher too Rookie

Oct 2, 2007

There are many versions of celebrity heads but it is basically a concept attainment lesson. Select three or four students to be celebrity heads. Attach identity sticker to forehead (check for allergy/sensitivity). Students ask ‘yes/no’ type questions to determine who/what they are. A correct answer entitles the student to ask another question, while an incorrect question passes the turn on to the next student. Students continue until the identity is guessed, or the siren goes.
    This activity is also effective in groups with one or all students acting as ‘celebrity heads’ and the turn passing clockwise. Students are also able to choose the ‘celebrity’ themselves.
    Celebrity heads can be used in all subjects, chemical elements are fun, and it helps students develop questioning techniques.

27. U_Teach_2

U_Teach_2 Rookie

Oct 3, 2007

Game Shows Are Your Friend

With a little imagination you can turn any game show into a classroom game. I usually play games to review information but you can also use them to practice a new skill or introduce information.

My students love to play 1 vs 20ish (a version of the show 1vs100). It works great in a classroom because it keeps the entire class involved--Not just a single student. I play it the same way they play on the show but I offer students an extra 'help' called "Mob the Floor". That help allows them to ask a student who has already been eliminated. (I ask those who are eliminated to sit on the floor so we know who's still in. Therefore...they are the ''floor mob''.) This way even students who aren't still participating in the game need to pay attention.

Student must answer 3 questions correctly before they can bail out and take their earned "money" aka "extra credit points" or "candy" for themselves. If they get the question wrong, the 'mob' (students who are still in their seats) splits their winnings. Also the show uses multiple choice questions but you don't have to do that. Give it a try!

p.s. I've used this in both block classes and 50 minute periods. You can determine the length of the game.

28. KLily21

KLily21 Companion

Oct 7, 2007

U Teach 2... How do you determine how many points they earn per question? Does it increase by a certain interval for each question answered correctly? I've seen the show, I was just wondering how you adapted it.
    I love the idea!

29. U_Teach_2

U_Teach_2 Rookie

Oct 8, 2007

I use play money and give it to contestants as they get questions correct. You can offer points by the denominations of the money but I usually just offer 1 point for each bill (a.k.a mob member who answers incorrectly). I'm always surprised at how fast those extra credit points can build up and, while I want to help them, I need them to work for the rest of the unit/quarter/semester/etc. :)
    You can choose to offer points however it works best for you.

Also, in the event the mob earns a contestant's money but is is not enough for 1 point per mob member, I round up the total so that each mob member gets at least 1 point.

You can also offer bonuses to any students who never get sent to the floor (mobsters who answer correctly through all combined rounds)

Good luck and have fun with it!

30. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Oct 8, 2007

Flyswatter vocabulary is a favorite of my students. I write vocab words on the board. Divide students into 2 teams and 1st student gets a flyswatter. Read the definition. The first team to swat the word wins a point.

31. LvMyFourthGrade

LvMyFourthGrade Rookie

Oct 8, 2007

I love playing games!!! It gets the kiddos excited about learning and helps with discipline. They are too involved to give you any trouble. I get a lot of my ideas from Kagan. The website is www.kaganonline.com. They call their games Kagan structures. They have them all on what they call smartcards. There is one for the multiple intellengences, cooperative learning, and other ones. They are awesome. You should check it out. One of my favorites is mill and pass. For example, if you want to review vocabulary you put the definition on one strip of paper and the word on another. Make enough for the entire class to have one piece of paper. As you play some upbeat music they mill around the room. As they are milling they pass their papers. When the music stops they find the person that has their matching word/definition. They go to the front of the room and one group at a time they read what they got and as a class we let them know if they are right or wrong. Good luck and have FUN!!! :)

32. TeachersPet

TeachersPet Rookie

Oct 21, 2007

gamesin the english class

Every Friday we play a game of "um & aah!". The aim of the game is to speak continuously, without saying 'um', 'aah', 'and then' and all the other annoying habits we make when doing speeches. We practice this as their unprepared speeches. I give a topic and the learner has to speak about the topic as long as possible without continuously and aahing.

I also play 'spelling tic-tac-toe'. Divide the class into two groups. they are allowed to work together and help each other to spell a word (these words are really difficult). Each time a team spells a word correctly they may decide where to put there O or X.

I have even played both these games with Grade 11's who thoroughly enjoyed it.