Do You Plan to Sub Again Next Year?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Ms. I, May 4, 2011.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 4, 2011

OK, so I already got my reassurance letters from both of my districts. Did you guys get yours yet & do you plan to sub next yr?

I'll send the letters stating YES, but of course, I hope I don't have to! I hope to be that SLPA. (SLPAs need a BA/BS in the comm dis field AND the completion of a normally 2 yr SLPA program at a college/univ.)

3. azure

azure Companion

May 4, 2011

Definitely. I work every day.

4. rhoyalt06

rhoyalt06 Rookie

May 4, 2011

Hopefully I won't have to and I'll have my own class next year :)

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 4, 2011

I'd love to have my own classroom, but until then I will sub. I actually made sure I won't have any off-days, because i want to work every day.
    I get requested about 40-50 % of the time, and I can usually fill the other 40 % time, but it's often last minutes, and i do have some off days, and I don't like that. So now I won't rely on 1 district only, I got hired at the county office of education, they have juvenile hall, detention center community day school, etc, about 60 sites year round. I also applied at a high school district, so out of these 3 I should be able to work every single day, even during breaks and the summer.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 4, 2011

Our district is just now looking at staffing for next year since the budget vote passed last week. Current employees only have to give 60 days notice, so theoretically the district could do some hiring after July 1...subs should definitely be getting their packages ready to go out soon if they are looking for full time employment rather than subbing.

7. thesub

thesub Comrade

May 5, 2011

NJ does not hire SLPAs and I am so disappointed

-- yesterday I looked up the ASHA website and it says NJ does not have SLPAs. I had finally come up with something exciting to go back to school for and now this was such a let-down. I am interested in SLP but do not want to incur debt and another 3 years of schooling.

thesub

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 5, 2011

thesub, so sorry. I'd be mad too if I lived in a state that didn't hire jobs for a certain position I was interested in. I don't know if you knew this already, but one doesn't have to be a SLPA to be an SLP. I know you don't want anymore debt, I of all people should know about that since I'm not married yet so I don't have a husband's salary to fall back on & I went to grad school before & am saving up for a London & Paris trip to the Olympics next summer, but you should really consider going ahead & get the ball rolling to get into grad school to be an SLP. I started my grad program this Mon., May 2nd & I'm so glad I'm starting. It won't be easy, but I'm used to it!

9. thesub

thesub Comrade

May 5, 2011

Being an assistant is ok with me, hence my interest in SLPA

-- I still have to look up the job description of SLPA vs SLP but I am ok with being an SLPA if there was demand for it and NJ was hiring them. If I could get a decent job being SLPA, that's fine with me.

Hope your first few classes went well and good luck. I went for a walk with a friend and it was nice and sunny outside and I feel better now. Have fun planning your Europe trip - will you travel by Eurail?

thesub

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 5, 2011

thesub, thank you, I'll need it!

SLPA - Educational req are a bachelors or equiv in communication disorders AND a (normally) 2 yr SLPA program at a college who offers it, then you have your license. There's NO exam to pass, thank God! But, if you do the online program at Cal State Northridge, the program's only 3 mos...don't ask me how they can cram 2 yrs into 3 mos! The pay is usually $18 - 25/hr. Not all school districts hire them (if you want to work in the school system, that is.) You of course asst the SLP w/ working w/ clients, but by law cannot do assessments.

SLP - Req is Masters in comm dis, the passing of the PRAXIS exam, & if you want the CCC-SLP which stands for Clinical Competence in __, you can get it, but it's not required to work at schools, but you might as well get it too. The grad program is usually 3 yrs, sometimes 2 yrs at a few schools. In my area, the salary is about the same as for teachers, maybe a little more. I don't know why, I think the pay should be AT LEAST $10K more than teachers since there's a higher educational requirement. So, it starts at about the low to mid $40K in schools anyway. I have no idea about hospitals' pay.

SLPs can have their own private practice, work in schools, hospitals, clinics, etc. You can also make house calls where you go to the client's homes...something I never wanted to do.

Regarding the London/Paris trip, thanks. I 1st started planning in late 2009, but honestly haven't done much other than slowly paying for it. I'll fly, but I do want to take the Eurail at some point in my 2-wk trip. I plan to see the opening Olympic ceremony too! My mom & aunt are my travelling companions. :)

11. thesub

thesub Comrade

May 5, 2011

Thanks for the detailed reply

--- you mentioned Cal State Northridge 3 mos program and I am quite astounded how they make it such a short program!! Will a 3-month program have any validity in the real world??? Just wondering...

Since my son wears bilateral cochlear implants, I am more aware of SLPs than SLPA. As you pointed out, one SLP has her own practice here and is a very busy lady and much in demand.

Enjoy your loved ones' company. I will be in India this summer (hopefully for 2 months) to care for my mom's medical/financial needs etc.

thesub

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 5, 2011

thesub, you're welcome for the info. Yes, Cal State Northridge is a respected university like any other California State University (& YOU could apply there too). It's like USC or UCLA. You'd get the same SLPA license like anyone else who took their program anywhere.

Yes, SLPs can make good money w/ their own practice. I worked for one last fall & she's doing very well from what I see.

Yes, I'm so excited. This will be my 1st time in Europe. I've got to start learning some French.

Your mom's blessed to have you for a daughter to care for her! Have a safe trip there.

13. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 5, 2011

I'm pretty good friends with our SLP- she makes about 6,000 more than I do (same level of experience). She can also add on clients from either families or hospitals after school and during the summer, and she can make up to 50 dollars an hour doing that. This state does not require a masters for teaching (my old state did), but she had to go to a 2 year grad program for her certification so it makes sense that she gets paid a little more. If I were to get my masters, I'd get a small bonus but not as much as she does though.

14. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

May 5, 2011

Is your SLP program online or at a brick and mortar school?

15. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

May 5, 2011

Given that there are little to no jobs around here, I am fairly certain that I will be substitute teaching again next year. I missed out on subbing most of the year because I was student teaching. I am hoping to be able to pick up long-term positions now that I have my credential. I'm fortunate to have one school that I spend the majority of my time at.

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 6, 2011

It's one of the California State Universities (CSU Northridge), so it's brick & mortar for sure. They just happen to have distance learning programs for certain fields too.

I hope you have a lot more work!

17. FutureTeacher_1

FutureTeacher_1 Rookie

May 6, 2011

it's a big maybe. I student teach in Sept and won't be able to sub again til January and I'm hoping I can try to get a LTS but if not, back to subbing we go!

18. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

May 7, 2011

I'll be student teaching in the fall, but after I graduate I'll definitely be subbing again.

19. Samdey

Samdey Rookie

May 10, 2011

I was send my reassurance letters...Everything its fine! :) but its not my goal, of course if to get a job!a real job....I was working everyday but sometimes is slowly. but if don get a job!...I will be there :|

20. Samdey

Samdey Rookie

May 10, 2011

I was send my reassurance letters...Everything its fine! :) but its not my goal, of course if I' get a job!a real job....
    I was working everyday sure, but sometimes is slowly,but if don't get a job!...I will be there :|

21. Ms. Scarlet

Ms. Scarlet Rookie

May 14, 2011

It depends. I will have to do my student teaching this fall. So if I haven't gotten a full-time position, I will have to do regular student teaching (for free). Then I suppose, consequently, I would be subbing again next spring *dread*

22. jcar03

jcar03 Companion

Jun 10, 2011

I'm hoping to be employed but if I'm not I will be subbing again. I think it is better to keep myself in the schools and gaining experience teaching than to go and find a full time job elsewhere.

23. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 12, 2011

I am really hoping that I'll get a teaching job, but if not, yes, I will be subbing. I really like it, for several reasons:
    - gaining + perfecting classroom management skills
    - getting a lot of experience with different student populations. A different approach is needed with students from upscale neighborhoods, with students who can be pretty rough, but also can be managed, with students who are considered the worst group, etc. Every day is a new day to learn something
    - picking up tips and tricks from the teachers - classroom organizations, policies and procedures, etc.
    - getting to be known in the schools and having a better chance to get hired later on
    - some days are rough, or stressful, but a lot of days are awesome, so it evens out

I learned that my "audience" really is 6-8th grade. Elementary schools I can handle, and they're easy, but I think I'm doing a better job in middle schools. I have never been requested back for 1-5th grades, even though I did a great job, but always get good feedback from teachers in the upper grades. One day i was only in a class (6th grade) for 1 hour) and the teacher asked me back, she + the kids liked me so much.

I haven't done high school, but I definitely want to get in there. I applied in one district, but haven't heard anything - I'll be following up this week. If they hire me there, starting in the fall I will be working for 3 districts, so I will never sit at home :)