Do You Plan NOT to be a Teacher?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Ms. I, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 5, 2010

Just curious, do any of you substitutes plan to NEVER be a permanent teacher?

I guess I could say that. I've been subbing for a long time & although I was a special ed teacher for just a yr once, I'm switching over to the SLP field & hv begun working on a work at home opp. It's pretty much a sure thing once I really get into it, so hopefully soon, I won't hv to worry about being in the work force ever again. Subbing is nice to keep me busy, but it's nice knowing I can stop & start anytime! :)

3. azure

azure Companion

Sep 5, 2010

I sub because it's flexible. . . would never take a full-time position.

4. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Sep 5, 2010

Congrats on your new opportunity. My sister-in-law runs a VERY lucrative direct sales business. She does so well that the company actually pays for her Mercedes lease every month. I didn't get involved because her particular product takes a certain lifestyle to build sales connections, and I just didn't have a good base to start with. She's been in it about 8 years and has done well from the start.

5. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Sep 5, 2010

Well, I have decided to no longer pursue a career at a public school.

Because of my age and because I only speak English, I am near the bottom of the desirability pool. And with teachers being laid off, the near future looks bleak.

I have therefore changed my goals to searching for a teaching position in a private school, but I would like to also get some ideas on what career options might be available to those with multiple subject teaching credentials that are outside of teaching.

6. liverpoolwalrus

liverpoolwalrus New Member

Sep 6, 2010

Outside of teaching, Oldstudent? I can tell you as one who has had a career with the federal government, it's not too hard to get in with the federal government with nothing more than a bachelor's degree in any field at all. I've also recently done some research, and I've found that those chain language schools like Berlitz and Inlingua hire English teachers where the only requirements are you have to be a native speaker and have a bachelor's degree.

As to my answer to the original question, I have no intention of ever teaching full time. I don't want to go back to school for that. I'm eligible now to sub, and I like the flexibility. I'll be retired soon and I only want to work occasionally.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 6, 2010

Thank you Special-t & that's great about your SIL.

8. elle_see

elle_see New Member

Sep 8, 2010

I'm subbing while in a "career transition phase" (read: lost my old marketing job with a non-profit, haven't yet decided what to do next). While I'm finding that I enjoy it, teaching full time would require me to go back to school for the certificate(s), and I doubt I'll take it that far. However, while I'm doing this, I intend to take it seriously, and have been trying to learn as much about being a successful sub as possible!