Do you own a TV?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by TulipsGirl, Jul 10, 2007.

?

Do you own a TV?

1. Yes

77 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Jul 10, 2007

I was recently thinking about a program in my school that used incentives to try to get families to turn off TV for a little bit.

Then I started wondering : How many of you chose not to own a TV in your home?

And whether or not you do own one, how much do you find yourself relating to students through TV and movies?

3. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2007

I own two TV's. I have to admit we are HUGE TV fans.....however, both of my daughters are extremely intelligent and aware of what's important in life.
    I constantly find myself relating to my students in terms of TV or movies. Making connections, predicting, revising predictions, sequencing, adding details, making inferences, etc.....there are so many ways to get them interested in reading and writing if you can relate it to what they know and, let's face it, many kids nowadays, know TV.
    Do I think it's a good idea to encourage more parents to turn off the TV? Absolutely!! We turn it off and just read. It's nice. But the majority of the time, it's on. Guilty...but I've never thought of TV as being bad. Depends on what you're watching I guess.

4. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2007

My dad and his new wife and her two kids have chosen to not have a tv in their house.. which i think is just weird cuz dad loved tv when i was growing up. anyways, in my house we have a big screen in the living room and a tv in practically every other room.. even with all those tvs though, we hardly ever have time to watch it... maybe we should have a tv yard sale...

5. Amers

Amers Cohort

Jul 10, 2007

I have 2 TVs in my house. One in the bedroom and one in the living room. I watch TV to fall asleep at night when I'm alone. I need the noise. The TV in our living room is almost always on. Most of the time it's more for background noise. The TV is on now, but I don't really know what's going on in the show.

I do find that I relate to students a bit through TV shows. For instance, I love The Simpsons. Lots of kids watch that show too. I don't only relate to students through TV though. I think I talk more about books with students than TV shows. I do think parents should limit the amount of time their children spend in front of the television.

6. hawkteacher

hawkteacher Comrade

Jul 10, 2007

I'm a huge TV fan!

I'm not the type of person to just turn on the TV and flip through channels at any time of the day though. Time is precious in life, so I try not to waste it watching random, worthless programs. I do however, have many shows that I love to watch for entertainment, well told stories and to learn new things.

I have owned a DVR for about a year and couldn't imagine life without it. It's TV on my time. I watch what I want, when I want, in the shortest amount of time possible.

I definitely use/discuss TV/movies with my students. Sometimes it's just fun to find things we have in common and other times there are real learning opportunities through TV/movies.

During my student teaching, the school had a no TV week. I really encouraged my students to participate and helped plan and organize the week, but I admit that I cheated and watched American Idol.

That was before DVR though LOL

7. Tigers

Tigers Habitué

Jul 10, 2007

Yes, I own a TV, I usually only use it with my DVD, VHS (I can't find any Beta movies anymore) or to watch Football and Soccer if their is a Game I want to see. I will occasionally watch a show at a friends house if their TV is playing. I have made comments about movies or movie references but I do not discuss movies with students unless it is a part of a lesson.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 10, 2007

There are two of us in the house, and we own four televisions. When we married I had one large one and DH had one large one. I also owned a small one from college, and DH inherited a small one from his grandmother.

DH watches a lot of television. Generally he's got the television on all the time when he's home. He doesn't watch so much as listen while he's doing the housework.

It's a rare thing for me to be just sitting down watching television. There are a few shows I'll watch at night, but I'll do other things and not think a thing about it.

My mom hates television. Dad watches it, but Mom doesn't.

9. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2007

I am pretty busy during the year (as I am sure most of us are) and don't have time to watch t.v. There are a few shows I to watch but it's pretty rare.

Growing up, I wasn't allowed to watch much television. I got to watch educational shows like Nova on our public broadcast channel. I also got to watch Electric Company and Sesame Street.
    As a young adult, I used to watch t.v. too much I think out of boredom but I've always been an avid reader. Ironically, t.v. bores me now. I also liked to have it on for "background noise". Now I can't stand to have it on-there's something about the quiet. I think there was a time where I was afraid of the quiet and being in isolation- now I look forward to it.

I admit I've made references to shows to help bring them back in or help relate it to their lives. Unfortunately, I don't think we can force families to give it up- many are stuck in a rut and with more and more kids being raised by television, I think our work is even more difficult.

10. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 10, 2007

I LOVED the Electric Company! It was one of the only "cool" shows Mama would let us watch!

There are 2 of us in the house, and 2 full-sized and 1 5" portable tvs in the house. I tend to leave the tv on most of the time just for the noise. It's funny, though. A couple of weeks ago, I noticed that our dog has learned a new trick. Every time I turn the TV off, she immediately walks over to her crate, goes in, and lays down! I guess she figures either I'm leaving or going to bed!

11. Bitsy Griffin

Bitsy Griffin Companion

Jul 10, 2007

I live with the TV king. I couldn't get rid of any if I wanted to. He'd only buy more.

I'm telling how many we have and you can't make me. ;)

I used to feel bad about how many we had until I went to my son's MIL house. She lives alone and I think she has us beat!

12. WindyCityGal606

Jul 10, 2007

The TV volume is off right now and I feel strange....I'm getting up to turn the volume back up.....creepy!! My daughter's napping and so is the cat. Hubby is at work and I'm sitting here typing feeling uneasy at the quiet...don't like it!!

13. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jul 10, 2007

We have a big-screen TV down in the family room that I haven't watched in over two years. When the kids were here, they and their friends like to watch movies down there. Once in a while my husband will turn it on, but usually it's just off.

I have a small tv in my kitchen on which I watch my chick flicks when I'm cooking, but it's not hooked to an antenna or anything.

I hate TV. The writing is dreadful and the morals are disgusting.

(I do like the Simpsons but I watch it on YouTube. I also love Scrubs but I've never seen it on TV, just on the DVD's.)

14. ChangeAgent

ChangeAgent Comrade

Jul 10, 2007

I usually don't watch TV. When I do choose to lounge around, I turn the news on. Sometimes I'll channel surf, and I find myself doing it more during the summer than any other time.

As for school (I will base this off teaching practicums and student teaching) . . .

I played part of an episode of a cartoon called "Liberty Kids" for a fourth grade class and we used creative writing to finish the story. Some had seen the show before.

Though a videogame (Spiderman), I aided a third grader (who struggled with reading and school) to make a connection between the Statue of Liberty and New York City (since the game had that as a setting).

I have shown Baz Lurhmann's Romeo + Juliet, and sketched a lesson to include a scene from Moulin Rougue (for a planned Fahrenheit 451 unit). (Don't ask how I gaied a Baz Lurhmann fetish--I really never watched either movie until I sought films for class!

I showed clips from Planet of the Apes (the original), Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, and Star Trek: Wrath of Kahn when studying the science fiction genre. I also showed a clip from the mid-1990s television series Babylon 5.

I do hope to watch a bit more TV as I begin teaching to stay current with the students in the area. I think TV should be used as a resource. Many TV shows address current issues, which can be brought into various content areas.

15. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2007

Buy the BEST of The Electric Company at Amazon. (I would love this)
    http://www.amazon.com/Best-Electric-Company-Chuck-Jones/dp/B000AA4F2O/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-9265106-3961529?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1184116584&sr=8-1

More info on our favorite show....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Electric_Company

When I was young, I so wished I could speak words and have them float out of my mouth. There are so many great memories of The Electric Company I can't even begin to list them all.

16. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jul 10, 2007

We have a TV downstairs, one in our bedroom, and the kids (boys) have one in their room. The boys have to ask to watch it and it doesn't have all of the channels the others ones do. We do watch TV quite a bit but the kids also do a lot of playing outside and reading. Some days we don't even turn the television on and just sit and read or play games together.

17. phoebe611

phoebe611 Rookie

Jul 10, 2007

We have a TV in the living room, but for the last 11 months we have not had cable. We moved to a new town last year and just never got it hooked up. We haven't missed paying the bill each month, but we are running out of movies to watch!!! :)

18. MsPlace

MsPlace Rookie

Jul 10, 2007

When my children were young, I refused to have anything but a small black/white portable tv with rabbit ears (until they learned to read). It only got three channels, when conditions were good.

Fast forward 25 years, my boyfriend and I have four tvs in a household of two. We each came into the relationship with two. And they are all connected to dish....sometimes I don't believe we really have so many tvs. The good side is that I am able to talk to my students about the programs they watch. I was the only teacher at my high school watching "La fea mas bella." My students found it hilarious that I was watching the same show as their mothers. They would give me quizzes to make sure I was really watching it.

19. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jul 11, 2007

I have the TV on a lot for background noise.

Two of the other young single teachers at our school were roommates last year, and they didn't have a TV. It wasn't important enough to either of them to spend the money on it. Everybody thought that was really strange, but it worked for them. I would feel disconnected and out of the loop without being able to turn on the news in the evening.

20. BASAM

BASAM Comrade

Jul 11, 2007

I have 5 TV's in my house, I only have a handful of shows I watch like CSI (the original), LOST, Grey's Anatomy. I plan to rent the HEROES season when it is released and I hope Brothers and Sisters has a season disc because I have seen a few and it looks interesting.

21. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2007

We have two TVs and I love them. We watch TV all the time... mostly it's dreadfully awful (but shamefully delicious!) reality TV. I also watch the shows on HBO and Showtime like Dexter and the Tudors now, and Oz and the Sopranos back in the day.

Because most of what I watch is rated TV MA, I don't use it to reach out to my students. Most of them either don't watch a lot of TV in favor of text messaging, or they watch shows like Raven on Nickelodeon.

22. WindyCityGal606

Jul 11, 2007

I also love the awful reality shows!!! It's like watching something you know you shouldn't but I'll tell you, it really puts many of the behaviors we see in the classroom into perspective. The only thing I cannot stomach are some of the rap videos:eek: ...some are just too obscene for even me. I'm an alternative rock/softcore punk type of gal anyway!:cool:

23. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2007

We have one TV in the house and it's in the master bedroom. So, if the kids want to watch something, it has to be something special. And it has to be planned out ahead of time. It's rare that we turn on the TV just to see what's on (at least me and the kids). My hubby watches it each night after the kids go to bed, but I usually fall asleep with the kids. I do make exceptions for Grey's Anatomy and Brothers and Sisters. And all of us were addicted to American Idol this season - we watched it as a family. And we already have plans for watching High School Musical 2 when it comes out on 8/17!

Growing up, I had a TV in every room, including my own bedroom. My kids will NEVER have a bedroom TV.
    Kim

24. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 11, 2007

My husband is a huge sports fanatic so we have a 65 inch tv with 2 smaller tv's on top. He does this so during baseball and football season he can watch 3 games at once!:eek:
    I don't watch much t.v. because I am on the computer so much!
    I enjoy the summer because Bill Nye the Science Guy comes on PBS and I can record it for my students. This is a big deal considering his tapes go for between 40.00-60.00 a piece.

25. skerns

skerns Companion

Jul 12, 2007

TV

We have 2 TV sets but no cable or satellite. The kids have videos and DVDs that we have approved. I miss it only at bedtime in my own room but really we have so much other stuff to do. My husband watches the local news which is the only channel we get. We did not have a TV when we were first married and didn't even have satellite for 5 years. We have Dish network for a few years, they kept upping th cos t so we cut it. Television really does take a lot of useful time away from us.

26. teacherwannaB

teacherwannaB Companion

Jul 12, 2007

Growing up we lived abroad and didn't have regular tv. We did rent movies about once a month or so, but we didn't have tv on a daily basis. Our major source of entertainment was "library Saturdays". On the weekends my mom would pack us up and we would spend the afternoon at the library and stop by the candy store on the way home. Sunday was spent curled up with our books. As an adult I am still an avid reader. I would rather read a good book than watch tv any day. On the other hand, my husband is a total TV nut and has it on from the moment he comes home till the moment he goes to sleep. My older daughter is the same way, but with her I can at least regulate how much time she spends in front of it. There are four of us in our household, and we own four TV's. My husband wants to save up for a plasma. I think its a huge waste of $$....

27. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 12, 2007

I tell my family that once the tv in the living room goes that it. (It's about 13 yrs. old). My hubby says we'll get a plasma.

28. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Jul 12, 2007

Same with me!!! I loved the Electric Company, Zoom, 3-2-1 Contact and Mulligan Stew - all PBS shows. I wasn't allowed to watch much other on T.V. except Little House on the Prairie. It does amaze me at what is on T.V. now. My nephews (10 & 6) actually ask to turn off the T.V and draw or play.

Right now I have three T.V.s at home - I keep them on either Nick at Night or TLC -

29. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 12, 2007

I love my tv also, but I've noticed that I watch a lot less of it now that my tivo promises to hold my shows. I also don't spend all that time flipping channels. When I turn it on, I have something I actually want to watch waiting for me, but I'm not glued to a time frame.