Do you need to take CSET type of exam to teach primary grade in IL State?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by eng123, May 2, 2018.

1. eng123

eng123 Rookie

May 2, 2018

Also,do you think it's possible to waive the Illinois version of basic skills test? I took and passed CBEST a long time ago, and have a BA in Elem Ed. from California.

3. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 2, 2018

Hi eng123,

IL requires the following things for PEL (Professional Educator License)

BA
    Student Teaching 16 wks
    Basic Skills Test
    Subject Matter Test (Grades K-12)
    32 hrs in subject matter

If you have current certificate from CA, some of this may be waived.

You may be issued a provisional or temporary license until certain deficiencies are met.

I don’t think CBEST is accepted. Go to www.isbe.net

Gather all your transcripts, teaching certificates, letters of employment. Be prepared to send in official copies of transcripts.

If you have any further questions, I’ll be happy to help. Good luck.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  4. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 2, 2018

BTW...If you want Primary, K-3.., there are two ways to do this:

Early Childhood or Elementary

EC will allow you to teach Pre-K thru 3rd ONLY. Ages 0-8. You can add a Sp. Ed. and/or ESL-Bilingual Approval.

Elementary is for K-8. You must specialize in one subject, and take a test for that as well. You can also take the test for Sp. Ed and or ESL-Bilingual Endorsement

The EC or Type 04 is easier, (IMO) but you will limit yourself. A principal can’t put you in 5th grade!

So if you think you might want higher grades later, go for Elem. Type 09

Most IL schools are K-8, or K-3, K-5 Some have 4-5 being an intermediate bldg and 6,7& 8 as middle school, upper grade centers. Naturally, larger districts have more schools. Several one-bldg districts. Not all districts cover Pre-K. If you are interested in preschool, and you can find Pre-K, State Pre-K or Pre-K For All programs, you will have all the same benefits as an Elementary teacher.

State Teachers Retirement pension is mandatory. You may be able to carry your CA years over towards IL credits, as long as you have not touched your pension dollars.

eng123 likes this.
  5. eng123

eng123 Rookie

Jan 15, 2019

------------------------------
    Thank you so much for answering in detail. I'm not currently in education field, and I have no idea of what exams I need to take to get Pre-K thru 3rd grade teaching certificate(Including Special Ed would be great). What are the names of the exams and how can I prepare for them? I have BA in Liberal Studies and passed Cbest (a long time ago, about two decade ago:(

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 16, 2019

Like California, Illinois uses its own Pearson exams, eng123: go to www.il.nesinc.com.