Do you love teaching?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by hunnyluv_23, Dec 2, 2005.

1. hunnyluv_23

hunnyluv_23 New Member

Dec 2, 2005

Hello everyone. I am seriously thinking of becoming a teacher and just wanted to know how many people actually like/love their job. I am also thinking about nursing. I have two kids and want to be able to spend time with them but don't want to hate my profession. I am thinking about elementary education and maybe sp ed.

3. wannabeteach

wannabeteach Rookie

Dec 2, 2005

I love what I do so much that I WANT to be a teacher. I wish I'd gone to college when I had the opportunity...I didn't know I would love being in a school "teaching" (even though I'm not a teacher, just a paraprofessional) so much. I've always had a passion for children with special needs (I adopted two of my own), but, honestly, I took the job I feared would stress me out because of the perfect hours (all of my children are now in school, but I still wanted to be there the minute they got out). I had no idea I'd love my job this much!

4. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Dec 2, 2005

I LOVE teaching even on days that I get really frustrated with it!

5. adria

adria Comrade

Dec 2, 2005

LOOOOVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEE It

I love my job, although it can be sressful sometimes. What I like most is the students don't know how to read at the begining of the year but guess what in the middle of the year they can read. Observing them read gives me goose bumps...because I know I am making a difference in their lives. Also, I like being a role model for my students, I love the idea of catering to children, meeting their physical and emotional needs.

You stated that you want to be home for your children. Ask yourself this question, if you are tired the night before work and when you wake up in the morning are you willing to go to work, if the answer is yes then teaching it is. If you are looking for a job that pays a lot of money then teaching is not the career.

You have to answer that question for yourself, because to be honest when it get stressful only the love for the job can keep you standing on solid ground.

Take care and God bless:)

6. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Dec 2, 2005

I can honestly say I love my job! Ok so I am just a sub, but I still love my job. I love it when the kids beg for me to come sub for their teacher. I love when boys who would NEVER give their mom a hug run up to me in the cafeteria and hug me. I love when the kids give me drawings during the day when I am there, even when they are supposed to be working on their science. THere are so many reasons why I love my job and I can't wait tillI have my own class. I know when I am teaching I will love it just as much as a do now. I will get that everyday love.

7. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 2, 2005

I love my job. Some days are crazy but I can't imagine doing anything else.

8. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 2, 2005

I hated teaching my first year!!! I was never going to go back........it was awful!!! But then, I got back on the horse, so to speak, and found my niche!! I fell into a Kindergarten position, never in my life would have dreamed that is what I wanted to teach........but 13 years later, I can say I do love it. You have to find the right grade level that fits you, though.

9. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Dec 2, 2005

These are all great comments! I agree!

I would add that teaching is more than a job, more than a career, it is a calling. You know you have been called when it is a perfect fit. It's not an easy job. The pay isn't great. Respect for teachers, although it varies from town to town, is not what it should be. BUT the rewards are magnificent. The children are delightful, usually. Now, don't tell the school board I said this but I have so much fun that I would do it for free!

10. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Dec 2, 2005

I love teaching... In fact, I found my calling in teaching in an inclusion classroom. I love working with both worlds (regular ed and special ed). This is what I always wanted to do since third grade. I love being sooo animated with my students. My classroom is very lively.

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 3, 2005

I looooove it, too. It took me a long time to find the profession (how was I so sidetracked?) and I wish I had started earlier. I would rather spend my days with children than adults - they're much cuter and funnier and always surprising. I even love planning lessons and then actually accomplishing what I planned! And, this gives me an excuse to collect hundreds and hundreds (maybe thousands) of children's books. I don't know how I'd justify this if I didn't teach!

12. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 3, 2005

I absolutely love what I do. I fell into teaching after being injured in an accident. The community college I was attending offered 3 Bachelor degrees, General Studies, Business, and Teaching. I just wanted to finish college so I went with the one I disliked the least. Somewhere along the way I fell in love with teaching, though. Now I can't imagine doing anything else!

13. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Dec 3, 2005

I love my job. I've been teaching for 13 years and, honestly, there's never been even one day where I dreaded going to work. (had trouble waking up, yes, but that had nothing to do with my feelings about my job!). There is almost nothing I would rather do. I am thinking about leaving the classroom and taking on a position of a board-of-ed "resource teacher" in ECE, which would give me a lot of power over curriculum and assessment, and allow me to help struggling teachers...but I'm not sure I can do it, leave my school, my families and my kids.

However, it is a highly demanding job, physically and emotionally. The first year can be hell....especially if you've got a family to go home to each night. If you're thinking of teaching because it will give you lots of time with your family, you're looking into the wrong profession. Sure, we get summers off, but I spend a good amount of time in the summer attending graduate school courses, planning for the next school year and even setting up my room. And, although my work day is technically shorter than most (I work from 8:30-4:00), I take at least an hour of work home each night, and work 6 hours or more each weekend on school work. I also spend a lot of my own money on school things and things for my school kids. And, that first year, I spent much more money (I saved receipts for about $2,000 worth of stuff), and I was usually at school from 7 am until 8 or 9 pm.
    Kim

14. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Dec 3, 2005

For years, I swore that I would never be a teacher. Then I spent a year as an aide at a school & loved it. So, here I am. There are days I really get frustrated, but then I'll have a "breakthrough" moment with a kid and it all becomes worth it!

15. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 3, 2005

I love teaching. It is very exhausting work, but no day is the same and no year is the same. I don't ever think you can just set the cruise control and go on about your work in teaching. I would be bored to death in an office!

Just know you are going to be working on school stuff about sixty hours or more a week when you are first starting out or changing grades or schools. I'm teaching second grade again after eight years teaching another grade, and I have very little spare time and what spare time I do have, I spend looking at this board for ideas. But I love what I do, so the long hours are actually enjoyable.

16. kidsalot

kidsalot Comrade

Dec 3, 2005

I too love teaching. It is rewarding, exhausting, frustrating, and fulfilling. Each day is different. You said you were also thinking of nursing? Well I started out in nursing school while I was working as a para with spec. ed. students. I soon discovered that I really wanted to be a teacher. When I went to my advisor to begin the process of switching majors she told me that it is very cpommon for nursing majors to switch to education and vice versa. Just thought that was interesting. I would strongly suggest that you try to spend time in a classroom before committing to teaching. You really need to realize what this calling entails. It is HARD work. Good luck!

17. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 3, 2005

I absolutely love teaching. I have known for a long time that I wanted to be a teacher, but did have some doubts (especially during my very difficult methods courses). Once I got into the classroom during my student teaching, though, I realized that it really is what I want to do. I am thrilled to be back in the classroom now working as a long-term sub. I really enjoy teaching and seeing those "ah ha!" moments when a child finally understands a concept that they didn't before. As others have said, though, it is a lot of work. I have a friend that recently graduated and is now an RN. She loves her job and told me that she could never teach because of all the work that it required "after hours." That's something that needs to be considered. There is a ton of work that needs to be done, quite often, at home.....especially during your first year of teaching. Right now, I come home everyday exhausted and still have papers to correct and lessons to get together for the next day. It's not easy, but I LOVE it! :)

18. kabd54

kabd54 Cohort

Dec 3, 2005

I, too, have to jump on the "I LOVE teaching" bandwagon. I taught before we had our family, then was a stay-at-home mom for 18 years. Once the kids were old enough, I debated going back. The principal of my kids' school was in a bind, asked me to come back to sub, and the rest as they say, is history.

I teach Special Ed and can't imaging doing anything else other than teaching. I enjoy going to work in the morning, and to be honest, I have slept in on other days, but never during the work week. Go figure!!:D

It's not for everyone, admittedly, but the rewards are great. Nothing feels better than getting that non-reader to read!!:)

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 3, 2005

I wish everyone loved their job as much as I do!

20. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Dec 3, 2005

I love teaching, being in the classroom with kids...At the end of the day I'm exhausted, but it's the best kind of tired!
    It does get frustrating being in methods classes and knowing that some of the stuff they're telling you is completely worthless...but I just keep reminding myself that this is the price I have to pay to get my own classroom!

21. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 3, 2005

I had a rough this week with my students, we had many problems but no matter how difficult it can feel and be sometimes I love my students I would do anything for them. I couldn't imagine doing anything else.

22. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 3, 2005

Yes, it is true that nurses make better money and have an easier time finding jobs. My friend that graduated at the same time as me (in May) had a job lined up before graduation and is making about $50,000 a year right now which is about $20,000 more than what I would make as a first year teacher! You need to go with what will make you happiest, though. If nursing would make you happy, great, but if you think you'd be happier teaching, don't just look at the difference in pay.

23. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Dec 3, 2005

Beth how is your job going!

24. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Dec 4, 2005

I love my job...its wonderful. Like others said, it can be stressful and its unfortunately not always about the kids (budget, administration, etc). But I've wanted to teach since I was 5 years old, and I can't imagine myself doing anything else.

My sister is actually a nurse. She loves her job, and now that she is a mom, she is able to work parttime to be home more with my niece. However, she has to work at least 3 holidays a year, including both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. That's not something I would want, but it makes her happy.

I say go for what makes you happy...I know my sister and I both did (nursing was not Kristen's first career)...and we plan on staying in our professions for a very long time:)

25. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 6, 2005

I think any teacher who says they hate the job should exit the profession immediately. You must love, or at really least like the job in order to effectively do your job because it affects so many children and families.

Sure there are things that I do not like about the job and that is reality in any career. There isn't a single job where you will never have a single issue to deal with. However, the career has so many rewards that they outweigh the bad.:) I really can't imagine doing anything else, I have always loved teaching people things, children and adults.

26. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 6, 2005

When I was a kid in third grade, I used to invite the 'bad' students home with me and taught them at my little easel. How corny. I would actually give them the 'evil eye' when they acted up in class. Sheesh.

27. countrygal

countrygal Rookie

Dec 6, 2005

I love it! Even though sometimes there is that one kid... well, we have all been there! I really love my job. I love it when my kids faces light up when they get the answer right. I love it when they are so proud their tooth fell out. They enjoy the simple things in life. I love first grade because they learn so much over the course of a year. I looked back at a child's work today that he did in September and could not believe that it was the same child. Sometimes I feel like it is all overwhelming, but when I get up in the morning I KNOW this is my calling and enjoy walking through the door of my classroom in the morning. (Although sometimes I would like just a few more minutes in my bed!!!)

28. wikteacher

wikteacher Rookie

Dec 7, 2005

I'll have to go with Tear Drop. There are absolutely some great things about my job. I love the kids! We have a pretty good schedule and great benefits. Unfortunately, the great things simply do not outweigh the negatives in my particular situation, which is why I will most likely be going back to school for nursing in the fall. I hate the politics, the huge amount of my own money that I spend to have basic supplies in my room, the work I take home, and the huge amount of money that must be spent on required continuing ed. and license renewal. I spend every weekend and all summer working as a certified nursing assistant in OB just to pay my bills (from college). I guess it just doesn't make sense for me to spend my "free" time working to pay for my chosen occupation. I so wish I could've actually done this (all by myself...student teaching doesn't count!) for a year before choosing a major...but, live and learn!

In my opinion, nursing will give me more of an opportunity for flexibility in my hours, my career path (you can go SO many different directions), advancement, and of course, in my paychecks. Not to mention the fact that your work stays at work (for the most part), and employers generally pay for any work-related expenses.

Good luck in your choice!

29. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 7, 2005

YEAH! We got another Wisconsin teacher on board!!! Sorry to change the subject, there seems to be many Wisconsinites around here. I wonder what that says about us then.....?!:confused: :eek:

30. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 7, 2005

wikteacher, a friend of mine just went back to school to do just what you are going to do. She wants to be a nurse and has been in teaching for a long time now. She loves kids, but it's just not her passion anymore. Things change, and I totally know what you mean about the politics. That's why I could never work for a public school. I'd go crazy.

31. wikteacher

wikteacher Rookie

Dec 7, 2005

JenPooh, I've noticed there are quite a few Wisconsinites on here, too! Which part of this cold, COLD state are you in? We're in the Southwest region and haven't had outdoor recess all week! I think I'm going craaaaaazy!

This is only my second year actually teaching in a public school, but I've been working with kids since middle school. I really do love them, I could see myself maybe starting a daycare or preschool someday. Right now, however, I don't have the place or money to do that. So, it looks like nursing it will be. I really love my CNA job, I never dread going there like I do coming to school somedays. It's a little funny to me that I'm going to do this now, because when I first went to college, my major was nursing and then I changed mid-way through sophomore year to education... I guess I should've maybe gone with my gut.

32. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 7, 2005

Near Milwaukee for me, but thankfully not in the Milwaukee County...too much craziness there. It is bitter cold here as well. Not even 20 degrees. I haven't been able to take my preschoolers out all week either.

If you need help starting a preschool or daycare let me know. I run one out of my home, ran a group daycare outside of the home before this, and am currently working with my church in getting one started there too. I am sure you will do what makes you happy, and if that's nursing then go for it!