Do you love teaching high school?

Discussion in 'High School' started by NateHST, Jul 26, 2014.

1. NateHST

NateHST Rookie

Jul 26, 2014

I'm trying to get an insight of how enjoyable and good this field is pls give me a scale from 1-10 and why you love or hate it

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 26, 2014

10. I love high school, it's my favorite age group. High schoolers are more mature in behavior and in thinking, they require less hand holding. You can have some pretty amazing discussions about controversial issues (which I love), you can reason with them. They're more independent.

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 26, 2014

10 for all the reasons above! I'm counting down the days until I get to go back. A big part of why I'm a 10 is my staff. They're the best!

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2014

OK, I love teaching HS, but there are some down sides you should know about. This is an age group that is being harped on about their GPA and what that means to going to college on an almost daily basis, both at home and at school. Their life after HS is vague but important to them, and for some, college isn't the best reality, but they think they have no other options. So here's the downside - cheating is rampant, not only on tests, but on intellectual properties like copying from other students, blatant copying for research papers, and lying when they get caught. You can create some ground rules that are tough love, but you have to stick to them. Parents don't care that their kids are cheating - they just want higher scores and grades on the transcripts. The irony is that the really smart kids who shouldn't have to cheat simply are the best cheaters of them all - their brains still give them an edge! All of that said, I go with the other two teachers about the best, but it would be naive to go into it without knowing some of the cons. Expect schools to bow to parental pressures, expect parental interference, and expect to have to deal with a lot of this on your own. Some of this can also be found in middle school, so this is not just a high school problem, but it is intensified in high school.

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 26, 2014

To add on to what the previous poster said, you'll find it varies A LOT school to school. The first one was like described above. My current one is not. We have cheating problems but it's not rampant. Our kids also don't experience that stress about college and GPA the same way. I had about four of my sophomores this year who worried about things like that. The rest did not. I'm in a fairly rural area. 100% of my seniors this year are going to college.

7. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 26, 2014

Teaching high school is not the best job I've ever had. But I enjoy it enough to keep doing it. I have the education and experience needed to find other jobs if I chose.

I actively dissuade young loved ones from going into education. I am no longer certain that this will be my last career. So much has changed in the past few years even that the aggravation is just not worth the satisfaction. I am fortunate in that I typically like my job, no matter what it is, so I'm pretty sure that I can be just as satisfied elsewhere with far less aggravation. At this point in my life I am only committing to a few more years and will reassess at that time.

That being said, I have never laughed at work as much as I do now.

Actively teaching students? My rating would be an 8 (zero being pure hell and ten being pure bliss).

Teaching combined with all of the paperwork, politics (in and out of school) and parents? My rating would be a 4.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2014

I loved teaching seniors. They were a 10. I loved the curriculum, and the kids were mature. Even the goof off kids weren't too bad. After all, they had to pass my class to graduate.

I don't like freshmen. They weren't far enough removed from middle school to know how to behave. I also didn't like the curriculum that much. They were like a 3.

9. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2014

I don't love teaching. Won't even use a 1-10 scale.

When it comes to teaching HS, I prefer teaching Seniors and Juniors over Freshman and Sophomores.
    I really do not like 9th and 10th graders. I could break this down even further by gender.

10. MsDouglas

MsDouglas Rookie

Jul 26, 2014

10 I love teaching high school. Seniors are my favorite. My answer would probably be a lot lower if I taught freshmen. There are a lot of negatives but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

11. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2014

Good points but this depends on where you teach. Where I teach, none of these are real problems (outside of cheating) especially parental interference because they are pushing their kids to go to college. Not in the least.

12. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2014

I completely understand.

I'm at the point where when I encounter people who are in college, student teaching or interning; I refuse to talk about being a teacher/teaching even when asked to. I just say, "you don't want to hear what I have to say ... good luck!"

No. And, no.

But, I do agree that it is extremely draining and thankless.

13. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2014

I love teaching juniors and seniors. I do not think I would be effective with younger students because I am too sarcastic.

14. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2014

Surprisingly, the younger students can take some sarcastic comments, but you do, on occasion have to let them know you are being sarcastic. I have taught all the ages, and I have taught Middle School, which I also love. The comment that perhaps the problems that I have encountered with cheating and the anxious behavior regarding the GPA may not be as much of a problem in a rural vicinity, but that certainly doesn't describe NJ, does it? Even in schools were the expectation is that students will go to college, as well as schools where they will be lucky to finish high school, certain similarities remain, at least here. I do believe that there is something in this age group at this point in time where there is less respect for working something out on your own, when they can steal someone else's work with a quick search online. It just is part of the culture I witness, but it doesn't mean that I don't love the work or the kids. I love them all and I smile from the minute they first arrive until the last student has left. Honestly, if I didn't love this, I wouldn't stay with it. I have a lot of education - there is something else that I could probably do and make as much money, so without the interaction with the kids, without getting to see them grow and learn, I would be depressed and somewhat desolate. I am a science teacher - I simply call factors as I see them, but that doesn't mean I want to do anything other than teach. I would, however, be just as happy teaching middle school. Fourth/fifth is the lowest that I would want on a regular basis, but I find the junior high set to be challenging, but so worthwhile. What can't I do? No itty-bitties and their snotty noses and untied shoes. At least in the upper grades if the shoes are untied, it is on purpose. Current statistics shows a huge outflow of new teachers within the first five years, then it stabilizes. That is the learning curve. Go Blue, I feel so bad that you are in a job that you don't love. We all have reasons for being where we are, but I would hope that at some point you can find someplace that you look forward to being every morning. For me, that place is school, warts and all.

15. chitown

chitown Companion

Jul 26, 2014

NateHST-Let me start out by saying I'm not a high school teacher, but I student taught in high school. I just wanted to give you a different perspective from someone who chooses NOT to teach high school. I student taught in 9th and 10th grade special ed, but my classes were co-taught so I worked with all of the kids. While teaching high school does have some upsides like being able to have discussions and such, it was not for me. I thought it was much harder to find what motivated the students, and I just didn't have the behavior management skills to deal with some of the classes. While I did find ways to relate to many of my students, I knew high school was not the place for me. I don't mind dealing with things like runny noses and untied shoes, but I can't deal with kids making out in the halls or being mouthy and belligerent just to look cool in front of others. If you're not sure if high school is the right level for you, I suggest trying it out. See if you can observe or even volunteer in local schools. You may find that it's right up your alley. For me, teaching in a high school just confirmed the fact that I was made for elementary. Best of luck to you!

16. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2014

I really like teaching older kids because I can joke with them and they understand sarcasm. Also, the science content is SO MUCH MORE INTERESTING. I nearly went crazy having to teach elementary science- "this is a tree, it has leaves and branches!" ugh. :lol:

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2014

I'm not hs, but I'm curious about the several comments about sarcasm....wondering if those who use sarcasm are generally sarcastic in life anyway? Just wondering why it's a 'plus' to teaching hs.

18. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 27, 2014

I can be a little sarcastic. It goes a long way with connecting with the boys I teach. I never use sarcasm in a mean way though or to make fun of someone.

I have to laugh at the making out comment though. I'm going into my 4th year and have yet to see anyone making out. One of our other teachers did and the girl begged her not to tell our principal. We have pretty close to a zero tolerance policy for PDA. It's usually automatic demerits.

I agree with Lucy too on the content aspect. I love the higher level content. It's so much more fun to teach my kids than even junior high kids. I get to teach the Holocaust through literature and then move on to post-holocaust genocides also through literature and research. My kids don't even know there was anything like the Holocaust. I love that we can study current events and recent history. Teaching English gives me so much flexibility!!

19. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 27, 2014

I give it a 9 because I also REALLY loved student teaching the 7th graders during my student teaching stint. I'm not a sarcastic person by nature, at least not in the classroom. My mode is more motherly than anything else (I don't have children of my own, so my students are my kids). I was effective teaching seniors, but I'm really happy with my freshmen since I've switched to that position.

20. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2014

To me, sarcasm is an advanced form of humor. Younger kids don't get it. Older kids love it.

21. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Jul 27, 2014

:yeahthat: I can't add or improve on such great quotes/thoughts.

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2014

I get sarcasm; I don't enjoy it though....I find it somewhat mean-sprited although I know that's not the intention of any teacher.

23. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2014

Perhaps sarcasm is the wrong term. I am really big on play on words, even to the point of putting a pun of the day on the board every morning. Some students assume that anything they can't figure out immediately is sarcasm. Mean spirited is SO not my thing, and my kids know that. A little tough love, at times, but never mean spirited. Motherly, yep, that would be more like me, and my kids know that. Funny and open with my students - absolutely. Let me repeat again, I love all students sixth and up, and I don't mind getting them in the formative stages, which some teachers hate. I wouldn't stay where I am if I couldn't cope and thrive. If you're not happy where you are, get out of these children's lives - they deserve better.

24. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 27, 2014

yep, you can definitely be sarcastic without being mean-spirited. Just turn it onto yourself or inanimate objects. Older kids love sarcasm!

25. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 27, 2014

I love teaching high school. I love that the kids are (mostly) mature enough to be reasoned with about their choices and consequences. I love that they are (mostly) eager to learn about new experiences and be a bit reflective about the world... Now this doesn't happen automatically... You have to really establish a strong, appropriate relationship with them, but when that happens, watching them blossom in to young men and women, well, it's an honor and a pleasure. I primarily teach juniors. My only experience with true freshmen is in my drivers ed classes. The younger ones are a bit more challenging, but they're still fun.

And effective use of sarcasm (not mean spirited) is an absolute plus at the high school level. :woot:

26. NateHST

NateHST Rookie

Jul 27, 2014

I appreciate all your guys comments and concerns and information I'm an aspiring College student and have dedicated myself to becoming a Social Studies I guess is the correct term for a high school history teacher but overall Im excited to get involved in the program I'm Majoring in History and Minoring in English as of now I may switch it over to Economics or Political Science later since that is the requirements for a social studies teaching endorsement lots of Geography tons of history and economics and of course Government courses are also required I want to major in History because if teaching doesn't work out in High School I could attempt towards colleges or even go for the other history Major careers overall I thank you for your comments and information and loved how successful this thread was!

27. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 28, 2014

Nate, I mean this in the kindest way possible, reading your posts would be a lot easier if you used punctuation. That last post is just one big run-on sentence, which makes it difficult to read and respond to :(

28. NateHST

NateHST Rookie

Jul 28, 2014

Sorry it's really a pain to do it on my mobile. It always autocorrects my periods out i have no clue why but, I apologize for the lack of punctuation.

29. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 28, 2014

No worries! You'll just find more people will read and reply typically :)

30. teacherbatman

teacherbatman Companion

Aug 1, 2014

Haha.

Yeah, half the reason I like HS more is because of the content. The other half is what everyone else has been saying: the greater student capacity for thinking, reasoning, and humor.

My current view of high school kids is that they are virtually adults (applies more to juniors and seniors though) who haven't yet become indoctrinated and cynical. Many of them still have the spiritedness of youth, but combined with a more mature perspective and intelligence. I have better conversations with certain high school kids than I can have with most adults.

I rather teach 9-12 than any other age -- including college or older.