Do you lose papers in your classroom too?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heavens54, Dec 4, 2010.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Dec 4, 2010

OMG, I have lost/found so many papers this week. At least I find them, eventually. Is there a way to prevent this problem???

3. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Dec 4, 2010

I have a lot of document trays-a stack of 6. I leave papers there until I grade them. The bottom box is always for late/redone assignments. I haven't lost any papers yet.

4. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Dec 4, 2010

I have three different sections that I see during the day. Each section has a basked labeled with the section name. Kids turn work in to those baskets and ONLY those baskets. At the end of the day I take the papers out of the baskets and put them right into plastic envelopes with fasteners so everything stays nice and neat. I haven't lost a paper in years.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 4, 2010

I have a vertical file on my desk. Each class I teach, in addition to my homeroom, has its own folder. That's where the papers go.

Knock wood, it's been years since I lost a kid's paper.

6. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 4, 2010

I have 6 drawers - one for each class. I warn the kids - DO NOT PUT ASSIGNMENTS ON MY DESK - if you put it there it is at your own risk.

It's amazing how often I get accused of losing papers though.

7. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Dec 4, 2010

I have one basket where I put all incoming work - I just clip the class's papers together and shove them all in there. Once I have them graded, I put them in a 6 tray system to hand back.

Like silverspoon, I always tell them NOT to put anything on my desk. It's covered with books and notes and folders and all the junk that comes in my mailbox everyday.

8. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Dec 4, 2010

I have 7 trays for my 7 classes. Papers go there and stay there until I'm ready to grade them.

I tell students on the first day to NEVER put a paper anywhere else. Particularly, don't hand it to me in the hallway ... a vortex exists in my doorway that sucks anything out of my hand (actually, I launch class and put the paper down without making note and it's gone for a long time).

9. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Dec 4, 2010

I don't lose papers. I have a similar procedure to those who have already posted. However, I do manage to mislay my white board markers about 10 times a day. I finally just put a ton of them in a container on the white board so that if I have left the marker on my desk, or wherever, while I was walking about talking to the class, I don't waste any time stressing over it. At the end of class, I always find them.:)

10. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Dec 4, 2010

I think it's just a matter of having a good system that works for you. I'm a first-year teacher, but so far I don't think I have lost a paper! I have a tray for each class where finished papers go, and if it happens that a paper is handed to me (late, make-up work, etc.) I put it directly into a labeled pocket in the bright yellow folder I carry around everywhere. Works for me.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 4, 2010

I haven't lost any papers but I have mislaid them. My students are pretty hard to handle so sometimes I get distracted with one of them having aggressive behaviors and put down a stack of papers and then something gets put on top of them and I cant' find them! I also had a student who liked to "clean up" and threw some papers in the garbage. I thankfully found them right away.

12. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Dec 4, 2010

I've been losing papers this year. I don't have a classroom, so I carry my papers around with me wherever I go. My policy is that students must staple multi-page assignments together. It is almost a guarantee that if they forget to staple, I will lose at least one page of their work because it will be floating around in my bag. Also, students like to leave work in my box in my department's office. If everything were turned in on the same day (and stapled), it would probably be a little easier.

I would LOVE a rolling briefcase with compartments. It would help me organize all that loose paper floating around.

13. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 4, 2010

I used to have problems with papers getting put in the wrong stack. This year I got one of the pocket charts with 30 pockets. The kids turn in their papers in the pocket with their number, it makes easier to keep up with the papers being in order and if someone turns it in without their name it's easier. Their makeups get turned in there as well, that makes it easier.

14. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Dec 4, 2010

I lose papers all the freakin time. Usually I find them again, but not always. We have so much paper that we have to deal with as a teacher, the concept of keeping a clean desk is way out of hte question. My stuff is spread everywhere.

15. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Dec 4, 2010

I don't lose kids' papers very often, but I do tend to put down my teacher manuals, homework pages, Promethean board pens, and other things down and then I can't remember where I put them. I then spend a few minutes to find the missing materials. Usually one of my students will save me by pointing out where I laid them down.

I have been blamed for missing work by the students, but 9 times out of 10 it is usually in their desk or backpack. I always make them check.

16. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Dec 4, 2010

Not kids' papers but my own stuff for a lesson, yes. It happens with alarming frequency. I get ready during recess, let the kids in (absently put my materials down for a sec), and spend 3 minutes looking around for them while they wait. I hate it.

17. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 4, 2010

I don't lose papers either. They are never put anywhere except in the proper place, so there isn't a chance to lose them.

I have two sets of baskets from Really Good Stuff that the kids use. One set is where they turn in papers. The other set is where I put graded papers for the kids to pick up.

I use a plastic folder for each class, and I take papers from the baskets and put them in the folder. I never lay them down anywhere else, which keeps them from being misplaced.

For my non-student papers, I have other letter trays and an organization station.

18. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Dec 4, 2010

I mislay kids' papers once in a while, but not for long. The big problem is all of the miscellaneous stuff that lands on my desk. Like many here, I have a tray for each class. Mine is one piece, made of metal mesh (Costco purchase) with five slanted trays and a bottom tray. When papers come in, I lay them in the "right" way, and when I have papers to return, I turn them so that they stick out.

19. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Dec 4, 2010

I guess thats the problem. Papers don't actually have a place they go in my classroom. Other than where they are set down, thats where they go. I have stacks and stacks of papers all over my desks, counters, and unused students desks, and on top of file cabinets.
    Its a joy to look for things.

20. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Dec 4, 2010

I haven't misplaced a stack of papers in a long while, but I do lose my resource books with alarming frequency. I just had to purchase another math book since I absolutely cannot find the one I had, and I have searched everywhere. A novel that I read to the class each year tends to disappear, so now I have multiple copies that DH tracked down for me since it is out of print. I have one at school, one at home on my shelves, one in the safe deposit box at the bank, and DH is in charge of another.

Right now I'm searching for a packet of geography materials that must have gone on vacation when I moved classrooms this summer.

21. txteach26

txteach26 Rookie

Dec 4, 2010

I'm terrible about this! I use document trays for org. in the classroom. Then to prevent lose papers from getting away, I use one of those handheld filing cases for toting papers home. This system has really helped.

22. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Dec 4, 2010

This is what I am talking about. Not students' papers, but miscellaneous papers; blacklines, lists, art ideas, letters from principal, etc. I'll bring it in and then it winds up I don't know where. I eventually will go looking for it. Same with resource books. Some I use, then I don't use and change my mind and can't find where I filed them. UGH...I did find my check stub, in my purse, where it is supposed to be. Sometimes I am brilliant!

23. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 4, 2010

My projector remote and my Mimo pen regularly grow legs and play hide and seek. I'll head for one, then stop hwen it's not where it's supposed to be. The kids will start trying to remember where they last saw me with it. lol I'm terrible about laying things down where ever I happen to be. I'll end up with half of my dry erase markers by the computer and Lord only knows where all my manuals have been. :D

24. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Dec 4, 2010

ChristyF, I've had contests to see who could find the remote for my smart board... or some other thing that I was looking for. The winner gets a sticker. I'm glad others have the same thing happen!

25. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 4, 2010

LOL I'll have to give the contest a try next time! :D

26. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Dec 4, 2010

I am INCREDIBLY absent minded and definitely not someone born organized. I have definitely misplaced and spent too much time in frustration looking for all the items people have mentioned. One thing that works for me is the "tickler" filing system...Where you have 31 folders for the days in the month plus 12 more for the months and file papers, forms, and stuff you have copied inteh folder for the day you need them. This works for me IF I remember to use the system. SO this year I bought a 5 dollar table top filing basket similar to a milk crate to keep on top of my desk so I dont forget about the folders in a drawer somewhere.

Two years ago I realized I went through something close to 150 pens in a school year. I had a lot of sticky fingers that year and I am the worst at putting things down. Its just as bad when I park the car while talking on the cell phone. Later, I have no idea where I parked. Pretty scary-definitely a case for not using the cell phone when driving.

I also bought 4 "in" boxes for each of 3 classes for the job I am starting (hopefully next week--what takes HR so long to get paperwork ready to sign, seriously). 1. Late work 2. turned in assignments 3. outbox for things to return to students and 4. assignments we graded together in class but I need to record a grade for (warmups and homework and anything else) I'm hoping that makes my life a little easier because I have a terrible time being productive when I am overwhelmed by big piles. :)

27. Ms. Geography

Ms. Geography Comrade

Dec 4, 2010

Student papers go in colored pocket folders (these are laminated), each class has a folder with the period on it & the return file folder is the same color as the pocket folder or close to it. For each class I get out their folder & file it when the next class comes in & blue is 1st period, yellow for second, etc. As for memos, forms, parent contact, purchase orders, etc. I use color too, only file folders that have been labled. I have a wire file folder holder (available at Wal Mart) & all of it goes in the folder even if I've not had time to read it; so it's there when I do have time at the end of the school day. Labels are parent contact 2010-2011; faculty meetings 2010-2011; admin office 2010-2011, etc. Files are in alphabetical order. They all go in the same place in the right folder and then I know where to find them.

28. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Dec 4, 2010

I bought a folder holder where the file folders are held upright. I think it has seven or eight slots. I have a folder for each day of the week, as well as a miscellaneous folder. If I get a note about something that is happening on Friday, then I put the note in the Friday folder, Monday the Monday folder, etc. Odds and ends go in the misc. file.

Beth

29. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Dec 5, 2010

one things that works to keep the student folders all together: I clip them together with a half sheet of paper with the class roster. The students' names are highlighted when I receive their paper.

30. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 5, 2010

I don't think I've ever had a week go by without this conversation..
    Me: "Student, you need to turn in X"
    Student: "But I did that, I know I did, I turned it in, you must have lost it, I KNOW I turned that in, I remember doing it!!"
    Me: "Well, it's not in my grade book, if you turned it in, I would have graded it and turned it back to you. Find it, show me the grade and I'll gladly put it in my gradebook without any points off for lateness"
    Student looks in piles of papers, finds it, "Oh, here it is, I guess I didn't turn it in."
    Gee, really?!

I will admit though that I do lose my own stuff in my office all the time. But it is vert very rare I misplace anything belonging to a student.

31. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Dec 5, 2010

OK, where do you keep the answer sheets for different subjects? Answer sheets for tests, HW, math, etc? This has created a difficulty. Black line masters; some I have run off, some I haven't decided yet. Some are in limbo. Blacklines for all kinds of activities and subjects. Maybe I just have too many papers, ya think?