Do you live near something/someplace loud?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 30, 2011

I used to live near an air force base and fighter jets were always overhead. I never really got used to it, but I did notice it less over time.

Does anyone live near an airport, factory, subway, train station, etc? Does it drive you crazy?

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2011

No, not around much of anything. There is a train we hear on occasion, but it's in the distance and sounds lovely.

ETA: The tractors in the fields all around us can be loud...especially in the middle of the night. Just like when I get behind a tractor, though, I'm okay with it. I'm not the most patient person in the world, but growing up on a farm I have respect for their responsibilities.

I doubt I'd be as patient with jets! :)

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 30, 2011

I live near a place that has jets (also near an Airforce base). The jets are so loud people have to pause conversations. It is quite annoying but I smile too because I know it is an Airforce base and they have their purpose. Sometimes I just watch for different kinds of planes and remark about speed, sound, etc. For me, I don't mind too much. Probably the worst inconvenience is they drain my hearing aid batteries much much faster and I have to change them every 3 days instead of 7 days.

Supposedly it can get loud during the summer here because I live on a beach. June is almost over and I haven't really noticed that much yet unless I'm actually hanging outside too and even then it is a pretty polite level here.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2011

When dh was in military we lived near naval air station..that was noisy but it never bothered me. We have a commuter train in our town but it has regular hours and we don't live near the train. Our neighborhood is rather quiet but I do love the sound of that last train at night when it's sooo quiet, you can hear it chug through...I find it comforting.:)

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 30, 2011

I lived a few blocks from an Air Force base (which turned into a reserve base). Even in its reserve days, the big, huge, C-130 hurricane hunters flew into that base. I was right under the landing pattern for the C-130's and close enough to the end of the runway that I could easily read the tail numbers emblem on the tailfin as they flew over my house. Windows rattled and the floor vibrated. In all but the slowest hurricane seasons, I was pretty much immune to the sound after the first couple storms. I never noticed the rest of the activity of the base. It just sort of blended into the background.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2011

You mean other than my house??

8. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 30, 2011

I used to live a few minutes from a train track. It was loud but I hated when the trains were off schedule b/c I used it as my alarm clock in the morning.

9. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jun 30, 2011

Well my neighbors are awfully loud. Aside from that I live by both the "el" (which is pretty loud- but I'm used to it) and the metra (commuter rail, featured in source code and derailed).

10. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 30, 2011

My neighbors used to be loud but they thankfully got a roommate and the only thing I hear now is their roommate's dog barking a couple times a week.

11. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 30, 2011

:toofunny:

That was my first thought. With three boys of my own plus the extras that are pretty much constantly here, my house is not quiet.

12. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jun 30, 2011

The people who live above me are loud. I assume they have a kid under the age of 5 who runs and jumps, screams, rolls, and I often hear him moving chairs.

The mom is a screamer so I hear that as well.

13. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 30, 2011

I live on an Air Force base, but I don't really notice any noise. Maybe I'm just used to it. The only time it is really loud is when I go to the beach on base. The base shares the airplane runway with the airport and it's extremely close to the beach. It's kind of cool to watch all the planes taking off though.

I always thought it was funny in Idaho when I worked on base-jets would take off and the kids wouldn't bat an eye. Then the lawn mower goes by outside and they're all distracted!

14. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 30, 2011

We live near a small airport. We don't notice the planes much at all. We do notice when an air show comes to town.

15. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jun 30, 2011

I love my apartment (been here 4 months) but the walls are super thin. I can sometimes hear conversations, always hear neighbor's TVs and music. The worst is when I hear the upstairs neighbor play video games. The music sounds like it loops over and over. He is a very nice person when I pass him by in the parking lot. I don't think he realizes I can hear his music when he plays it at 2 in the morning. the airport is a mile away, but I don't hear it much. The highway is a block away, but its not loud either.

16. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 30, 2011

Paperheart, you could joke about being an avid gamer or something and gently let him know without looking like you are mad about it.

17. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jun 30, 2011

I have a Highway with 10 lanes of traffic in my backyard, I don't even hear it! Sometimes when people are over swimming in the pool, they will make a comment that it is loud...but I guess after 20+ years, I'm used to it.

18. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2011

I live next to a punk/metal/screamo garage band.

They are really loud and practice just about every other afternoon. The drummer lives there and practices every day.

Much of their equipment, however, has been paid for with money from mowing my lawns. So I guess I shouldn't complain.

19. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jun 30, 2011

I live next to a baseball field but I welcome that noise!
    I also live next to a semi busy street. I've learned to ignore it. It used to drive me crazy.

I live near the airport and Marine Air Base. I hear Marine helicopters, jets and planes on a daily basis and more so when WTI training is in town twice a year.

20. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 30, 2011

My MIL's house has train tracks that run REALLY close to the house. It's a main line, so trains pass through there multiple times per day. Nobody told me they also came through at night, so the first night I stayed there it completely freaked me out.

DH and I were dating, so I was sleeping in his bedroom while he slept downstairs on the sofa. I awoke in the middle of the night, slightly disoriented, to see a bright light shining in on me and the sound of a train whistle. :eek: It took me forever to fall back asleep.

Many people who looked at the house passed due to the railroad tracks. The people who already live in the town really don't pay any attention to it. You really can't get away from trains if you live in certain areas.

MIL's new apartment is also close to the tracks.

At my house, it's really pretty quiet. Every spring when it starts getting warm, I open my windows and the neighbor's rooster wakes me up at 4:30. Once the time changes he wakes me up at 5:30, which is much better.

21. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 30, 2011

I grew up 2 blocks from the railroad tracks. So did everyone in town, because the town is only about 6 blocks wide. Coal trains go through town every four minutes. Once a month we would have to go around and move all the knick knacks back because they would rattle off. But seriously, I don't even hear them. People from out of town can't sleep, but they just fade. Now I live in the country, but those same tracks are about a quarter mile across a field from us. Still don't hear them. I do sometimes notice the highway noise, especially during Sturgis week, when all the bikes are going through.

22. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 1, 2011

There have been oil rigs close by but I usually only hear them when I go outside at night.

23. Dee452

Dee452 Comrade

Jul 1, 2011

I live near a training base and I don't really notice the noise.
    I also taught at a school that was across the street from the runway and I would have to time my lessons to the jets taking off.

It was a fabulous sight when we were outside for recess and the jets would take off. We never got tired of watching

24. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2011

I live near the county airport, which has a flight school. I've never really noticed the planes before, but they've gotten much worse lately. The HOA finally complained about them not following the noise ordinance hours.

My neighbor likes to go for morning ride around 7AM. If I oversleep, I wake up to the roar of a Harley.

Other than that, it's really, really quiet here. I hear the occasional train at night, sometimes a cow mooing, and when the weather's nice and the doors open, the golfers teeing off across the street.

25. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jul 1, 2011

Do you live near me?

The teenage boys across the street are driving me insane with their amplified music that rattles the walls and windows of my house. We are on the verge of having them arrested for disturbing the peace because they absolutely will not turn down the volume. I'm sick of it. Their father has told us and the sheriff they have the right to practice as loud as they like. I think I have the right to not have to hear their music inside my house with the windows closed and the air conditioner on.

26. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Jul 1, 2011

I live near the airport. However, we don't really notice the notice the noise of the planes at all; unless we're sitting outside, but even then it doesn't bother us. I also live near the Daytona Speedway. We can hear the cars practicing for their races which can get pretty loud and aggravating. We haven't been able to hear the races- I guess all the people in the stands block the sounds from leaving.

27. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 1, 2011

Mine is so loud that as someone with a significant hearing loss, I can still hear it in my house with the doors shut. It's that close! Anyone that is talking inside or outside will automatically just stop talking and wait patiently for the jet to finish taking off before continuing. You'll all the time see people put their hand up as to say wait and smile.

28. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2011

My neighbors are actually quite loud. We have 3 college aged kids right above us, who play in a band or some sort of group. In addition, they frequently have parties with loud music. We also have 3 older men who live across from us, and they too are very loud on the weekends. They drink, and get very, very loud. Thank goodness, it's not on a daily basis.

29. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2011

The railroad tracks run behind the houses on the other side of the street from me. I rarely hear them at all; and only really noticed how loud they could be one afternoon this summer when I had the windows open. I think they mostly run during the day on weekdays, so I'm not at home. I've never had one wake me up at night, either.

30. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Jul 1, 2011

I grew up near two Marine Corp bases. Jets and such flying over all the time. We didn't even notice them. When I moved to college, I really missed the jet noise. But that is okay because my dorm was less that 1 block from the train tracks:). My first teaching job was in a town with a large Air Force base, so I felt right at home.
    We are about 5 miles from the train tracks now, but especially on still winter nights, the suncatchers in the windows rattle and we can hear to train whistles. It sets the coyotes off and that sets the dogs off.

31. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2011

I used to live, when I was a teen, near an air force base. I got used to the noise very quickly.

At this present moment, I live in quiet neighborhood, far from traffic, trains, and planes. :)

32. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 1, 2011

No, thank God & I hope I never do! I'm 15 min from an airport & 2 min from a freeway, but I don't hear anything.

I do live right behind a park that gets loud w/ people on weekends & other crowded occasions, but that's not bothersome. There's a school right next door to the park behind my house too & I can hear the bells ring.