Do you live in the same town that you work in?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by orangetea, Jul 25, 2012.

1. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2012

We are currently looking at apartment complexes to move into next year. We both work in the same area and found some nice apartment complexes that would give both of us a 5-10 minute commute.

Even though I live 45 minutes away for work, I still see my students outside of school. I imagine that by living in the same area, I would see my students and their parents a lot outside of school. Is it ever uncomfortable to live so close to school?

3. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 25, 2012

I live 15 miles away (15 minutes).

I run into students often. It isn't a big deal.

4. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Jul 25, 2012

I live about 15 minutes away from my school, but in a different town. I run into students/parents occasionally, but it isn't really uncomfortable. We usually just say hello and are on our ways! Sometimes I'll see former students who graduated, and I'll catch up with them a little bit, but that's fine with me. I guess everyone has different levels of comfort with things like that, though.

5. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 25, 2012

I wish I did. I subbed one town over and did all my student teaching there as well. There is nothing better than a 5 minute commute. What I liked best though was being able to take the bus rather than drive. When there is snow on the ground I never like driving because I worry about Black Ice and parking.

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 25, 2012

Both of my jobs I lived about 45 minutes away because I wanted more of a city environment. I wouldn't be opposed to living in the same city but probably not until I'm settled down with a family.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2012

I live less than 10 minutes from school. I'll see students and/or parents when I'm out and about but it's never been an issue.

8. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2012

I do, but for some reason I rarely run into students. Oh, I remember, between teaching, coaching, and going back to school I have no life.

9. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Jul 25, 2012

I only live about 15 miles away, but in Los Angeles that's like two different worlds, so I never see my kids. My DH lives 30 miles from work. It takes him 30 min to get to work. Me? 45-60.

10. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jul 25, 2012

I live in the community where I teach, and it is never an issue. I enjoy seeing people I know when I am out and about in the community.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 25, 2012

In my county, most cities aren't that big. You can drive across several cities in an hour or two. I live in a neighboring one from where I work & I live 10 minutes from where I work.

12. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 25, 2012

I was born & raised (and reside) in the town that I teach in.

It's rare for me to not see students and parents when I'm at the grocery store, Target, WalMart, Starbucks, etc.

Last week, I had lunch with my brother at a downtown eatery. He commented that he felt like he was having lunch with a celebrity because I ran into so many people! :lol:

13. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 25, 2012

I will this next year. I haven't lived in the town/city I taught in for ten years. I'm looking forward to it.

14. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Jul 25, 2012

No. I teach in a very high SES district, and I could never afford to live in that town unless I got a rich wife sometimes down the road ;)
    I live about 20 minutes away.

15. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Jul 25, 2012

Ha--that made me laugh! Some of my non-teacher friends call me "the mayor" because I always run into so many people that I know from school when we're out!

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2012

I'm in a Catholic high school. Our kids come from something like 50 or 60 different local districts.

So I run into kids all the time. I saw one at the diner Sunday after mass-- I have yet to go into that particular diner on a Sunday morning and NOT run into a kid. I saw two at the mall on Monday. There were 2 allumni at mass Sunday. With a student body as large as ours (2550 kids) they're simply everywhere.

But it's not an issue. I like the kids I teach, so I'm OK with the "how's your summer going?" type of small talk for a minute or two. Then it's "OK, gotta go. Have a good summer" and we're out the door.

I'm never doing anything that they shouldn't see me do.

17. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 25, 2012

I live 5 mins from my school. I rarely see my students are parents. Today I ran into a former student at AC Moore. Which is an hr away.

18. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Jul 25, 2012

I live in the general area that my camp serves. I do see students out and about a lot, especially at night in the popular "hang out" locations. Every single time BF and I get fro-yo, we run into one or more of my students. He just makes fun of me :rolleyes:.

19. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 25, 2012

I live and work in separate towns, and while I rarely see students I know in my town, I do a lot of things in the town where I teach and see a few students there.

20. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 25, 2012

I live 4+/- miles from where I work. I rarely see my kids because I rarely go to the store. Two kids told me near the end of the year that they saw me in the local grocery store and hid! I asked why and they said it was weird seeing their teacher in the store. This particular grocery store is the one where I see the most kids. I've had former students come up to me and hug me, show me pictures from prom, talk about what they are doing and some of their successes and some of the struggles. It is nice seeing my students outside of class. I live in a rural area and many of our homes are off the road so I don't generally run into anyone from school when I'm home.

21. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2012

I'm also 4 miles from my school, and I sometimes run into my students who are working (I teach seniors). I enjoy it.

22. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2012

Nope, I live 30 miles away. But, once I sell my house, I will be moving into the 'city' closest to where I work. The town I work in has 1 gas stations, about a dozen churches, and a blinking light. The 'city' is 5 miles down the road.

Next summer, I will do everything I can to relocate to my home state.

23. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 25, 2012

I technically live in a different town, but it is literally 5 minutes to work. The town I live in and work in are both small suburbs, I can drive from the far side of one to the other side of the next town in 20 minutes or so.

24. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2012

I don't...I live 45 minutes away, but my family lives close by. A lot of the teachers in my building do live in the town where I teach though. I'm one of the few "far" commuters :)

25. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 25, 2012

I live in a small, rural town. It's the same town where I was born and raised. I moved back here after college and got a job in my old school. I live 4 miles from my school. I can't go anywhere without seeing somebody I know. It's not a big deal. I can see five houses from my house. One house is empty. One house is where the transportation director lived. The other house had three of my students. Other than seeing me in my yard-mowing clothes or running to the mailbox in my pajamas, it wasn't any kind of issue.

Even if I had stayed in the next closest town (where I lived for 5 years), I would have seen about as many people when I was out and about. That's the town where people in my town have to go to shop. I'd see them there anyway.

26. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 25, 2012

I live 20 miles away - different world, like stampin' teacher said! Definitely true in So Cal. I didn't really want to live in the area around my school, but I love the area where DH and I now live. I'll never see my kids anywhere - this is not a direction their families would go for anything.

27. heartofateacher

heartofateacher Companion

Jul 25, 2012

I'm going to be at a new school this year - only 5 mins away from my house. So I'm sure I will see my students. Before I moved here, my school was about 15-20 mins away and I would see my students out and about sometimes. It wasn't a big deal. They seemed to enjoy seeing me outside of school and seeing that I was a "normal" person. :)

28. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2012

I live about 15 minutes from my school. Since I teach in a small district but live in the biggest town, I see my students quite often. Saw 2 yesterday and 2 today.

29. GAteacher87

GAteacher87 Companion

Jul 25, 2012

I live in the next town over. I like the drive to work every morning (about 25 minutes), but by the end of the day as I'm driving home, I sometimes wish my apartment were closer! I like the distance from work, though.

30. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 26, 2012

I live 50 minutes from work, so I don't see my kids at all.
    When I lived in town, I did see my kids at stores and such. It wasn't a big deal.

31. tootgravytrain

tootgravytrain Comrade

Jul 26, 2012

15 minutes if no one is in my way. You couldn't pay me a king's ransom to teach in the school district where I live.

32. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2012

I live in the same town (about 2 minutes drive, 10 minute walk) and I've never had a problem with living in the town. In all honestly, I rarely even run into my kids and when I do it really is just a quick hi (they are too busy to really chat with you).

33. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 26, 2012

I live in the same district, and it's no big deal. I run in to kids a lot at grocery stores and fast food places, but I just smile and wave, maybe make a little small talk and move on. My daughter loves it. She said it makes her feel like her mom's a celebrity. :lol:

34. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2012

I have concluded that all teachers should live in their community. Once it was pointed out to me that home values are based very largely on the local schools it became clear that living there raises the stakes for teachers.

Do I run into kids? Sure. Yesterday I had one yell at me out of his car window as I was walking home from the mechanic. It wasn't embarrassing - it actually gave me quite a laugh which I much happened to need at the time.

35. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2012

I know what you mean! There is no way I could afford to live in the same area that I teach in alone--it's much too expensive. I actually like the town next to the town that I teach in more, but it's even more expensive, unfortunately.

Thank you all for the responses! I do love the kids I teach and I wouldn't mind seeing them outside of school, but would prefer a little bit of space. But I guess the commute for both of us will make it worth it.

36. melnm

melnm Companion

Jul 26, 2012

I see them all the time and know many of their parents. We live in a very small community. It doesn't bother me though.

37. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2012

I forgot to add in a story that happened the other day. Like I said, I'm 15 minutes down the road but in a different town than the one I teach at. Where I teach is very small. I was in HEB, checking out at a register. A student was working there at the next check out and looked at me and said hi. I was wearing glasses which I never wear at school, a ratty t-shirt and shorts. He said, "Mrs. Smalltowngal, I've never seen you in shorts before"...I said, "Well, I try to not wear shorts to school". We both had a good laugh and then I went on my way.

38. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 26, 2012

At my last school I lived 25 mins away, and in the 2 years I worked there I didn't run into a student once. I like it that way. I would not want to live close to my school, but not more than 30 min.

39. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Jul 26, 2012

That sounds great, but when the home prices in the area where you teach are $400K+ and starting salary is maybe $35K, it is tough to live in that area.

40. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2012

Imagine the problems inner city schools would have keeping their teachers. They have a hard enough time already. There's no way I'd live in the neighborhood where I teach. I feel safe walking to and from my car during the day, but that's about it.

I live 30-40 minutes away. I like having work/home be two totally separate worlds. I don't want to see my students/their parents at the gym, the supermarket, the deli, etc.

That has absolutely nothing to do with how much effort I put into my job or how much I care about my students and the success of my school. Also, since many of my students live in the projects me moving to that neighborhood isn't really going to have any baring on home values.

41. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Jul 27, 2012

So for the most part, only middle class students get to have teachers? Upper class=too expensive. Urban/inner city=too dangerous/not great areas in general. Please re-evaluate!

Home values and schools is almost like a chicken-egg debate. Do good schools drive up the price of homes or are the schools better because they are nestled in areas of affluence where resources can be provided and education is valued?