Do you like your "Time Tracker"?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by lemonhead, Sep 6, 2009.

1. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Sep 6, 2009

I am thinking of getting this. If you have one, how do you use it in the classroom and do you like it?

[​IMG]

3. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Sep 6, 2009

I think it would be a good visual reminder. Does it make noise?

4. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Sep 6, 2009

6 different sounds. Says it has volume control. I have two kids in my class that are obsessed with time and when we do this and that!!!

From the Manufacturer
    It's never been easier to keep kids on track! Lighted sections of this unique electronic timer alert kids to time remaining. Program green, yellow and red sections and 6 sound effects easily to indicate that time is running out. Features 180° viewing, large, easy-to-read LCD display; volume control and pause feature. Measures 9"H. The ideal timer for ¿ Play time ¿ Homework ¿ Projects ¿ Experiments ¿ Speeches ¿ Practice sessions ¿ Cooking ¿ Children with hearing impairments ¿ Time out. Requires AC Adapter (LER 2901) or 4 AA batteries, not included.

Product Description
    Keep students on track with programmable electronic timer. Set green, red and yellow lighted sections and six sounds to indicate time remaining. LCD and volume controls. Requires adapter (LPNLER2901), sold separately, or four AA batteries (not included).

5. preschoolheart

preschoolheart Rookie

Sep 6, 2009

Have you seen Time Timers? We use them in preschool a lot, but I've used them with Kinders and 1st Graders too... they work really well. They don't make noise, but I personally hate the noises timers make, so I prefer this. http://www.timetimer.com/products.php

6. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Sep 6, 2009

Oh that is interesting. I do like the colors on the Time Tracker. I am going to Google around and see if I can totally mute the sound on it.

7. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Sep 6, 2009

What size to do you have and do you use the blanks or the minute one?

Thank you.

8. enemypieguy

enemypieguy New Member

Sep 6, 2009

that is totally cool! i hadn't seen that before. I gotta get me one of them there widgets.

9. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Sep 6, 2009

I have that time tracker. I hate it. I used it for one day. It's a total pain in the behind to program.

I got the TimeTimer last year. I LOVE IT!!!!! The students love it. It is a much better visual reminder than the 3-color timer. And a total no-brainer to set. I use mine almost every single day, multiple times a day.

10. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Sep 6, 2009

I have the large one with the minutes. I keep it at the front of the room. When I set it, I say something like, "Boys and Girls, I am giving you 15 minutes to work." Then I set it for 15 minutes. Every few minutes I call out a reminder, or I individually remind students who are off task.

It worked wonders with my first graders last year, especially because they have no real internal clock yet, and can't really tell 1 minute from 15. The slowly disappearing red sure gives them a concrete model of their time slipping away!

11. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Sep 6, 2009

Where did you get yours, Erin?

12. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 6, 2009

I got a time tracker from Littlest Learners. I've never used it. Maybe I'll stick it back on Sprout...

I've used the clocks with the red wheel, and they are great. Mine was at the end of it's life, so it would give us more time than intended, but they really are EASY. I would recommend those over the time tracker, although I'm shocked at how expensive they are.

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 6, 2009

That time tracker is a nightmare to program even if you have the instructions right in front of you! I also don't like it when it flashes red but doesn't beep until a few seconds later. The yellow should be the warning and the red should mean STOP. It's just annoying.

14. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Sep 6, 2009

(scratching Time Tracker off my list)

15. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Sep 6, 2009

Lemon,

I had one. I won it at a workshop!

It was too much of a pain to set (it is complicated to remember how to do it, and which sound you will get.) The "British" bell is a bit frightening actually.

I gave it away. I found that a plain old timer from Radio Shack (one that works as a count down timer and a stop watch) was smaller, easier to store, and much easier to use. You can also use the Radio Shack timer for doing DRAs and other timed assessments, or tell the kids "in 2 minutes you need to be finished" and quickly set it, and then it goes off in 2 minutes.

My advice -- save your money. Get a regular timer.

16. maroki

maroki Comrade

Sep 6, 2009

I have one of these (the 8" one) and I LOVE it! It was easy to set, easy to use, easy for the kids to see and I used it every day, multiple times a day. My principal ordered them for our 1st grade team last year, and I loved it so much I asked her to order them for 2nd grade when I switched grade levels this year. :)

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 6, 2009

We have a couple of Time Timers in the school; I really like them for many of our kids. I also have a couple of small digital kitchen timers from the dollar store; they are quick and easy to use and can be kept at student desks if need be.

18. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Sep 6, 2009

Thanks for the input, ladies!! I am glad I asked. The Time Tracker looked like it would be great.

19. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Sep 6, 2009

I have 2-1 never used by anyone and I can not get it to work-probably why they were stuck away in a cabinet when I got the classroom.

20. newteachfl

newteachfl Companion

Sep 7, 2009

I have a Time Tracker and I actually really like it. I agree with the others that it can be a pain to program so I set the manual timer for 20 minutes and use it durin guided reading/centers. That way, I never have to try and reprogram it. It gives all the kids an easy, visual reminder of how much time they have and then I don't have kids constantly asking when we can rotate or worried they won't finish in time.

I really like it, but that's just me.

21. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Sep 7, 2009

So the manual time is easy to set?

22. tgim

tgim Habitué

Sep 7, 2009

I used the speech pathologist's time timer last year and LOVED it. I need to order one of my own!

23. newteachfl

newteachfl Companion

Sep 7, 2009

I used the directions and didn't have a problem setting it. But I can definitely see how it would be annoying to change the amount of time it is set for during class. For example, in math having it set for 45 minutes then during reading having it set for 30 minutes.

I really like it during guided reading though. You can program it with or without sound. You can also pick when it swithes from green to yellow to red. I really like that its an easy visual for my kids across the room to see how much time they have left.