Do you like your "Hot Dots"?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by lemonhead, Sep 6, 2009.

1. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Sep 6, 2009

I'm working on my supply order.

What do you think about Hot Dots? Do the cards hold up well? Do your kids enjoy them, and do they get much out of them?

I teach first and am thinking of getting:

Hot Dots Time
    Hot Dots Money
    Hot Dots addition (0-9)
    Hot Dots subtraction (0-13)
    3 Hot Dot Pens

Thanks!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From the Manufacturer
    Addition facts 0-9 which are for use like regular flash cards in small groups, or with the talking pen for independent study. Works with the talking hot dots pen that responds instantly with glowing lights and speech, or one of the many positive reward sounds and provides immediate feedback.

Product Description
    Hot Dots makes ordinary flash cards into individualized basic skills tutors! Use like regular teacher-directed flash cards with individual students or small groups. Add the Hot Dots pen (EI-2770, sold separately) and students can drill independently with Hot Dots instant reinforcement! Students touch pen on correct answer and get a positive response. The plastic storage case included also makes these great send-home helpers for those students needing some extra reinforcement. All for about the same cost as regular flash cards!

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 6, 2009

I have hot dots and I found that a lot of the time first graders would just push a guess and keep guessing until they got it right. I didn't see a lot of actual problem solving.

However, I had mine left over from when I taught older kids- it's a money set, so I know it was too hard for some of them.

They did really like the hot dots though! It seems like the addition and subtraction would be fine.

4. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Sep 6, 2009

I love the *idea* of Hot Dots. In reality, the noise drives me nuts! I wish they made Hot Dots with headphones!

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 6, 2009

My kids LOVED them. They were perfect for earlier finishers. There is a mute button on the pen, and they knew that if they did not mute it, they would get it taken away.

6. newteachfl

newteachfl Companion

Sep 7, 2009

I use the reading comprehension Hot Dots. It's a center, but it's one I keep cloes to the guided reading table. That way, I can easily hear if they're just guessing. I warn them from the beginning if you don't play correctly and only guess, you end up with a worksheet instead. It seems to have worked well for me.

7. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Sep 7, 2009

Thanks newteach. I'm running out of money. I thought about that set for next year. Which grade do you teach?

8. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Sep 7, 2009

Thanks, Jem - the only thing keeping me from buying the dots and making some custom activities for my 5th graders was the noise factor! Glad to know about that mute function!

9. newteachfl

newteachfl Companion

Sep 7, 2009

I teach 3rd. I love the reading comprehension ones. They have leveled stories. I think it starts at a 2nd grade level and goes to 6th (at least my sets do). They also have phonics sets. And, you can buy just the dots (they come in "hot" and "cold" sheets so you know which one will buzz and the correct answer)and make your own questions!

10. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 7, 2009

I actually just bought the pen and dot set and made my own cards. I had a picture of something and they had to read the correct word to describe it or for math counting or adding with objects. They held up pretty well, I had one class I had to take them away from because they were just pushing too hard on the pens.

11. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Sep 7, 2009

What does hot and cold mean? I am lost, I never heard of these before. So cold ones do not make noise? They sound fun.

12. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 7, 2009

Hot is correct and cold is incorrect - they make different sounds in the pen or if the pen is muted the hot ones make it light up-pretty cool technology if you ask me.

13. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Sep 7, 2009