do you like middle school?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by tech ok, Jan 13, 2007.

1. tech ok

tech ok Rookie

Jan 13, 2007

i have only subbed for elementary school. i would like to try middle school next year. I would like to hear your experiences. thanks

3. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jan 13, 2007

It really depends on the school. Mostly, I stay away from middle school ...... far, far away!!!

4. ryman

ryman Rookie

Jan 14, 2007

Middle School is my favorite. The kids aren't all over the place like elementary school (chaotic) and they aren't completely out of touch, like high schoolers. Another reason is that I'm taller than the students! High schoolers are getting taller and taller...

5. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jan 14, 2007

I absolutely love Middle school. There are a few kids that I would rather not have to deal with but for the most part they are pretty easy to work with. I am an elementary behavior teacher so if I can deal with my kids now I can dea with Middle schoolers.

6. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Jan 14, 2007

I like middle school. I only go to high schools and middle schools though, no elem. for me. (I worked at a day care for a few years, and I had enough of little ones!) Another reason is I couldn't picture myself with the same 20-30 kids all day long.

Anyway, it does vary greatly between schools (and even classrooms!). From my talks with other subs, most either do only elem., or middle and high school. I think I've seen one or two that do elem. and middle.

7. teach 4th

teach 4th Rookie

Jan 14, 2007

I have worked with 4,5, and 6. I love them all, but middle school can be really good, because you can expect them to take more responsibility for their learning.

8. photog01

photog01 New Member

Jan 16, 2007

I subbed middle school the other day for my first assignment and it was interesting. I can see its draw, as the kids do understand their role in their education. My buddy says middle school is "a hidden gem" since the kids are young enough to still be impressionable yet old enough to shoulder responsibility and consequences.
    I found the kids to be receptive to me, but they did try to push their boundaries a bit with bathroom breaks and talking. I just had to get stern and realize I wasn't hurting anyone's feelings, just providing structure.
    Heck, I figure middle school has less guns than high school and less influenza than elementary. Sign me up. :)
    Ryan in Vegas

9. cole1973

cole1973 Rookie

Jan 16, 2007

LOVE middle school!! I never thought it would be possible, considering the content, but I LOVE that atmosphere!!

10. cole1973

cole1973 Rookie

Jan 16, 2007

hahaha Ryan!! :)

11. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Jan 16, 2007

Middle school can be fun. You must be strict and have expectations ready as kids will take advantage. They are a lot of fun and you must have a good sense of humor. Try it and see if you like it. If you do like it you will get a lot of jobs. Terry G.

12. FUNSUB

FUNSUB Rookie

Jan 16, 2007

I was thinking of easing into 6th grade next year (my own child will be in 6th grade and I like to keep up) also. I don't know about 7th & 8th. Since 6th graders will be the same age as my own I think I will be able to handle it. know all their tricks!

13. cole1973

cole1973 Rookie

Jan 16, 2007

I find being a parent a HUGE help when dealing with children...

14. longtimesub

longtimesub Rookie

Jan 30, 2007

I try to avoid middle school assignments...I have had too many unpleasant experiences in middle schools. Handling the discipline could be a big problem in some middle schools. In high schools, if I have a problem with a student, I would send him/her to the administrator with a referral. End of story. I would not have to face that student again for the rest of the period.

In many middle schools, that is discouraged. Instead, you are expected to send the disruptive student to some other teacher for a "timeout". The problem is when the other teacher sends that student back to you because he/she is too noisy in that class.

In the middle school setting, you could send a student to an administrator. But, one time I did that, the student came back to the class after 15 minutes. In the high school setting, I have never experienced such a thing.

Of course, not all middle school jobs are "bad". I had some "good" middle school jobs. But, that did not happen too often for me.

I do notice that school districts usually have a tough time filling middle school sub jobs.

15. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Jan 30, 2007

I've had ms classes I'd take over high school. I try to avoid 6th grade as the kids are often overgrown elementary students and the hyper ones are little better than kindergardeners!

16. Shane Steinmetz

Shane Steinmetz Rookie

Feb 5, 2007

I love teaching middle school! The students are friendly, cooperative, and have a sense of humor. They desire to be respected and have someone listen to what they think with an open mind.

The parents of the students I teach are also polite for middle school and high school. They don't mind the fact that I'm 19 and have been teaching since I was 18. Most of them say that it's great and are proud of me. The teachers also seem to be helpful and polite.

Elementary school teachers seem a little uncertain working with me sometimes, and I get the "what are you going to do with my babies?!" vibe from the parents. High school teachers just don't seem to care as long as I have a temperature and pulse.

I might just teach middle school. Everyone else in my area seems deathly afraid of them, but I get along with them just fine!

17. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Feb 5, 2007

I haven't tried middle school...yet. I've been thinking about it though. I subbed at the same elementary school 2 days last week and there was this 7th grade volunteer in both the classes I was in. I got to know her very well and she was interesting to talk with, I told her I'd never subbed middle school and she said I should because I'd really like it...who knows though. I don't really like subbing 6th grade....so unless they're totally different than them, I might consider it.

18. sub&mom

sub&mom Companion

Feb 5, 2007

I think 6th graders are harder than 7th or 8th. 6th are still in the "do for me" mode. I find middle schoolers more independant. Unless the middle school contains 6th, 7th, and 8th. Then the 6th grade are not the top dog in the school and they are much better behaved.

19. misswhammy

misswhammy Rookie

Feb 5, 2007

Well I had 6th graders today and they were horrible! It was the first day of a three day assignment. I knew something was up when their teacher personally called me last week to warn me about his classes.

I had to give them a vocabulary test today and even caught 3 students cheating.

Ohhhhh...tomorrow is another day and I do hope it goes better.

20. sub&mom

sub&mom Companion

Feb 6, 2007

Don't back down! Get tough with them if you have to. Good luck and I hope today is better than yesterday.

Take care.:rolleyes:

21. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Mar 3, 2007

I absolutely love middle school! :)

Thankfully, most of my experiences with middle schoolers have been pretty good. Then again, I tend to stick to the more affluent districts where the kids tend to behave a little better.

22. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 4, 2007

My degree is in secondary English, and I had all intentions of teaching high school. I took a subbing job when I didn't get a full-time teaching position my first year. Everyone told me to avoid middle school because they were awful. I ended up taking a few middle school subbing jobs, and I loved them . . . crazy and challenging as they are. After teaching high school for two years, I actually ended up switching to middle grades.

23. b-radical

b-radical Companion

Mar 4, 2007

Middle school is like okra--you either love it or you hate it. There is no real middle ground when it comes to either one.

I haven't acquired a taste for okra, but I LOVE teaching my sixth graders!

24. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Mar 5, 2007

I love the okra connection. :D

At first everyone told me that middle school was HORRIBLE, and not to sub for them. So of course, as chance would have it, I only get called in for middle school.

I really like it!

6th graders are a little tough, I'm not really big on the tattling and immaturity. But the 7th and 8th graders are just so cute. They're still young enough to be giggly and entertaining, without having an attitude (for the most part). Today I subbed in a band class for two periods and I couldn't believe how excited they were to play their concert pieces for me (even after I prefaced that I had absolutely no knowledge on instruments:eek: )!

25. b-radical

b-radical Companion

Mar 5, 2007

Ultimately, we have to go where our hearts lead us... and that seems always to be in ways we never would have imagined.

I'm sure the music was wonderful today!!

26. misswhammy

misswhammy Rookie

Mar 5, 2007

I agree with GatorGal, I like the older grades in middle school. I do not know what it is about me and 6th grade boys! We just do not get along. On Wednesday, I am subbing for a 5th grade math teacher at a middle school. I haven't taught 5th grade in middle school yet, so I'm interested to see how they will behave.

27. teachabc

teachabc Rookie

Mar 5, 2007

I like it. You can have conversations with those kids more and they are very independent. Some can be mouthy, but I have had really good experiences!!!

28. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Mar 6, 2007

The music sure was wonderful; they actually sounded quite good! It was also nice to not worry about the class being too noisy. :) They need to have some time to be loud and have fun.

29. username

username Rookie

Mar 13, 2007

i sub at a middle/junior high school in D.C. and those kids as a whole are horrible. all they care about is the opposite sex, myspace, and cellphones. but the best thing is i get 2 free periods so basically i only cover 5 classes for 45 minutes. to me the 7th graders are the worst out of all of them and i don't have much of a problem with the 9th graders. in the hallways they are loud and rowdy and they curse all the time regardless if a teacher is in the vicinity or not and for some reason it seems like the girls like to fight more than the boys. but there are some decent kids and someone else stated that you can have regular conversations with some of these kids. working middle school has its negatives and positives.

30. mommee03

mommee03 Companion

Mar 13, 2007

I like middle school, the kids are short, like me. They are still innocent and sweet, but don't have to be babies. The hardest thing about middle school, I think, is the parents. They can be a real pain in the neck (just to be nice).