Do you let your students eat/drink during class?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by orangetea, May 16, 2013.

1. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

May 18, 2013

I'm in an alternative classroom and I have bigger problems than dealing with students eating a cookie or chips. So, as someone else said, I choose my battles--and this is not a top priority for me. Now, if they started getting piggy and leaving their trash around, I'd have a problem with it. Plus since I'm pregnant, you best cool believe I have snacks and drink, otherwise I'd be puking in front of them instead of grabbing a cheez it.

2. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 18, 2013

I let my kids have water bottles- with unflavored/uncolored water only.
    Since I am elementary, we have snack time, too.

3. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

May 18, 2013

We have 2 snack times, so they are able to do it then.
    Sometimes someone will try and sneak a bite at something they have brought for snack, so I remind them that it's almost snack time or lunch time, and they quickly put it away, with no prob at all. They also have breakfast time, and lunch time, SO there is no excuse of anyone being hungry that fast.
    Rebel1

4. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

May 19, 2013

Water is allowed. I will allow my first period class to finish their breakfast if needed. Sometimes they run a bit late and have to eat and run. There's also only a few in the class and they are all seniors.

Sometimes students break out the Gatorade but our school has been cracking down on that, so I no longer allow it. One time a student pulled out a 1 liter bottle of Mountain Dew. Heck no! I made him put it in his locker.

5. km83

km83 New Member

Jun 26, 2013

At my school, they are not allowed snacks or drinks! If someone is sick, they may bring a water bottle, but that is it!

6. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 26, 2013

I'm a grazer by nature, so I absolutely allow my students to snack throughout the day. When I was a camp counselor, I got my first 'taste' of the 'eat everything you can at a meal because you won't get to eat again for 3 hours'. It was AWFUL. I was stuffing myself so I could make it to the next meal, which is really unhealthy. My blood sugar levels were all over the place, and I'd never want to teach kids that were worrying about that. I have no problem if they want to quietly eat something at their desk while they work.

This year, each student is getting a waterbottle on their desk the first day of school. I grabbed them from the Dollar Tree and I'm using my vinyl cutter to put the students' names on them. I found one of those water dispensers people use for parties in a storage room, so I'm going to keep that filled in the back of the room for them to fill their bottles with. I might throw some fruit in there on special days for flavor. Staying hydrated is crucial to everyone, especially kids!

7. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2013

An earlier poster said that high school kids should be able to get through the day without snacking .... Yes, but are they alert and not distracted by hunger?

Many of my high school students are in sports, and growing, and they are always hungry! Being in SPED, my class sizes are small enough to monitor eating. I don't mind, as long as they either eat quickly or pay attention while they snack.

8. mariecurie

mariecurie Companion

Jun 27, 2013

In my research during undergrad on how teacher behavior affects student achievement, I discovered a few studies that linked hypocritical teacher behaviors with decreased motivation and therefore achievement. One of the studies specifically mentioned behaviors like teachers drinking beverages during class when not allowing the students to do so. In short, teachers should always follow their own classroom rules. Just "food" for thought. :)

The other thing I wanted to add is that there's a ton of research out there on how learning and memory recall is negatively affected by a lack of food. I don't know the exact amount, but a large part of what we eat goes to fueling brain function. I remind my students to make sure they eat breakfast on test days because of this.

9. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 27, 2013

I teach in a science lab, so that's a safety issue. Students are allowed to have a water bottle with them- that's a school policy- so I allow that but I'm running into the issue where a few students will sit through class, sucking on it like a baby's bottle, and then need 2-3 bathroom breaks. I started a policy of where if the bottle is a distraction to the student (or myself honestly) then it needs to be put into their tote bag (I have a cubby area for those) and students only get 1 bathroom break when it's appropriate (aka note taking an assessment or notes, during a demo). I will once in awhile bring in a snack for certain classes (when I know the tables are safe to eat by), but otherwise I don't let them eat in the classroom.

10. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 27, 2013

This topic came up when my school was looking at it's snack policy. Students are allowed to have a snack about 1.5 hours after they have lunch and we don't restrict what it can be since they bring the snack from home.

It's horrible though- some students skip/aren't given breakfast so they're starving by lunch time (11:30 am) and then they might just munch of half a bagel because they know they will have snack time. I've seen students bring in candy, a whole canister of Pringles, and snacks that are loaded with sugar.

So on the flip side, I'm concerned about what this snack time is doing to the students' metabolisms and how we are allowing them to get away with poor nutrition habits. :(

11. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

Jun 27, 2013

We are required to allow students to eat in class, unless there is a health/safety reason not to do so (chemistry, e.g.)

I don't mind at all, although occasionally a boy looks as though he's setting up a buffet for the Rotary.