Do you let students fix their math tests?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heavens54, Dec 8, 2010.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Dec 8, 2010

I am hearing about this; you pass out the tests after you have graded it and let them correct the problems that they missed and then resubmit for a better grade (averaging the two grades) Do you do this? How do you do this? All students? Only if they made C or lower? I want to do this but not sure how to manage it. Thanks.

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Dec 8, 2010

Not sure this will work in math but I do this with my AP students. They have one week to work on their test corrections in class (before or after school). In order to receive any credit, they must find the correct answer, tell me WHY it is the correct answer and then explain WHY the choose the wrong answer. It is quite an involved process but it works for my AP students.

4. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Dec 8, 2010

They way I look at it, until the state tests in the spring, all assessments should be viewed as learning opportunities. Yes, all students can and should fix their mistakes for additional credit (we add 1/2 point back to the score for each mistake correctly fixed). Students have a correction form where they have to state in a complete sentence why they got the incorrect answer.

5. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Dec 8, 2010

This is the rationale for my corrections also - my goal is to have all my students pass the AP exam in May. So, just as you, I use test corrections as a learning experience.

6. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Dec 8, 2010

My students have to correct any problem that they missed. They must then look back at the solution they were incorrect about and write a sentence that tells specifically what error they made. The sentence has to be more than "I added wrong".

My test corrections are due the next school day.

7. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 8, 2010

When I taught 6th grade I allowed this. The student had two days to do corrections. They had to show all their work for correct answer and explain what they had done wrong the first time. That way they 1-had to think about their error and why it was wrong, and 2- re-did it the correct way. I gave half credit for all correct answers.

8. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Dec 8, 2010

We are required to allow retakes for anything below a 69, which is an F. I give half credit for each correct answer.

9. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Dec 8, 2010

We are moving towards online testing, so we can't hand back the students' tests. I do have them correct homework and classwork as we check it.

10. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 8, 2010

My students do all their corrections, but it doesn't change their mark. They also don't erase the answers on their test. I give them a fresh copy of the test, and they re-do any questions on the fresh copy. That way I have a record of their mistakes, and their corrections.

11. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Dec 8, 2010

We are also doing a lot of online testing in math and science.
    Instead of handing back tests that I don't have, I often pull them up on my LCD projector and we review items that multiple students missed.

In reading, which are paper tests, I always make them fix their incorrect answers. My P is tough on reading tests; any student below an 80 has to correct it during resource period. If a student that "can" do much better gets a bad grade, they stay after school with her to correct it.

12. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Dec 8, 2010

I want to do this; do you give them back the test during class to fix? Do they correct in colored pencil and not erase the original mark? This is what I am thinking. I can't have them do it after school, maybe before. This is for a fifth grade and they can't stay after school. I was just wondering if you have them correct it, how do you tell the original answer from the corrected? Or does it matter? Thanks.

13. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 8, 2010

I prefer to have tests corrected so I know if the child truly doesn't understand the material or if they just hurried through the first time. That helps guide my instruction.

14. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 9, 2010

I allow my students to correct any test that is 69% or lower. I then average the two grades. I do this for several reason, the main being that I want my students to be successful. Suffering from test anxiety myself, I know that some of my students experience the same thing, and at 11 years old, I can't expect them to teach themselves how to get over it. (we do talk about it, and I share some strategies that I know have worked for me-but it is a personal challenge that one needs to get over). I also use the corrected tests to help me differentiate my teaching.

15. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Dec 10, 2010

JUst wondering, since this is beyond my area of expertise...

why only allow low grades to redo questions for higher points? I was always an A/B student in school... and I would have been annoyed that my friends who got C's or D's on their test got to try again for a higher grade but I couldn't even if I got a lwoer grade than normal...

16. Daisie

Daisie Rookie

Dec 10, 2010

Hi heavens 54!

My co-op teacher and I use this system- all students, irregardless of how they scored on their test have the opportunity to review their tests and correct them for additional marks (we average out the two scores). The day that we hand back tests, we allow part of the day's lesson so students can make necessary corrections- (can't really let the kids take their test home, lest mom and dad should correct the test for their kids...) When they do their corrections, they are allowed to use their textbook for reference and they can ask us for a hint or two, but they are not allowed anything else on their desks besides a red pen so we know they are not 'rigging' their original answers.

I like the 'double-correction' system: IMO it's better for students to try and work out their own math corrections rather than having us do the work for them, and when students "get it" the second time around, it's incredible how confident they become, and they're likely to remember the subject matter better when they work it out on their own.

-Have a great day :)

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 10, 2010

I don't.

I give lots of extra help.

I give lots of quizzes.

I go over homework, but don't grade it-- I just check to make sure it's done.

I give the YEAR'S calendar of test dates on the first day of classes, then remind the kids as each test approaches.

A day or two before the test, I tell them EXACTLY what's on it. As in "5 special triangle problems, 5 points each, like the ones on p 200. 3 Pythagorean theorem problems, 6 points each, like the ones on page 210..."

But at some point, you simply need to illustrate that you know the material. For me, that point is the test.

The grades give the student and parents an indication of what percent of the material the student has mastered. Showing the student his or her mistakes, then giving a new grade, illustrates that the student can fix mixtakes when I find them, not that he or she can spot his or her own mistakes. In my opinion, that's an important element in "mastery."

(My kids don't take standardized tests, in case that matters to anyone.)

18. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Dec 10, 2010

I agree with most of this statement. However, because our students have to take a standarized test we want them to get these problems correct when they see them again. The incentive of getting a better grade will make students more likely to review those problems they got wrong.

I actually have students correct the problems along with showing all the work and explanation on how they fixed their incorrect problems, and then, I let them take a re-take test. If a student needs more help, he/she can come after school to review for the re-take. The re-take is a similar test to the first one. The re-take is final.

19. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 10, 2010

If I give a test and students have a lot of problems, I let them revise. At that point I figure it is my fault they missed something. I have them write the new answer on a new sheet of paper and attach it to the original. I give them half the points back, so if they missed 10 questions, they could get a max of 5 points back. I don't always do this, only when I feel like some reteaching is needed.

20. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Dec 10, 2010

I agree with Alice.

I give lots of opportunities for learning and lots of quizes for learning. I let students correct these and if they can thoroughly explain their reasoning for both the right and wrong answers, then I give points.

However, on the final, summative test, I do not allow for extra points. They correct the mistakes. Period. For learning. Not for extra points. I do live in a state that has standardized tests. I just think that at some point, they have to know that it's important the first time they take the final summative test.

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 10, 2010

Our kids do take Trimester exams (they start on the 19th) and final exams, so the odds are good that they'll see the same types of questions they've seen on classroom tests.

But I do believe that, at some point, you need to show what you've learned-- no more "one more chances." For me, that point is the math test I give every 2 weeks.

22. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Dec 10, 2010

We are not allowed to let student complete retakes. I give as much practice as I can give the students. Several days before the test I give students a different version of the test that they will see on test day.
    For example:
    practice test: 6(12 - 6) + (12 - 4 + 3)5 - 15

test day: 2(10 - 3) + (10 - 5 + 2)4 - 10

I also allow them to come up and ask if they have the problem set up correctly during the test. All I will them in this situation is yes it is correct or no you need to fix the problem.

23. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Dec 10, 2010

I offered this last year for my students. It was a royal PITA. And the only students who took advantage of it were the kids that were already doing well. I had several kids that were in there just because Mom made them do it, but they wouldn't follow the directions. Got tons of "circled the wrong answer by mistake." It got to be a battle with the parents (why isn't his correction good enough?) and took way too long to deal with.

I fought to do it at my new school and got shot down. Now I'm kinda glad I was. I had too many kids turning it into something it wasn't.

One BIG problem I have is when teachers only allow students who fail or get less than XYZ to retake the test. Why isn't my child who got a B but would rather have had an A allowed a second chance?

24. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 11, 2010

I agree.

25. Starista

Starista Cohort

Dec 11, 2010

Hi! I love this idea and wonder if I could implement in 3rd. Do you up their grade if it they did it properly? Is it only for a C or below onany wrong problems? THANKS

26. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 11, 2010

I only allow 69% or lower to correct because a C or higher means they are mastering the content. When I correct and average for a better grade, the highest grade they receive is a C. So, my students receiving a B or an A have rightfully earned this above average honor.
    I give TONS of extra help. Against union wishes, I give up my lunch time to do this. I am willing to help after school. I tutor as well. We are under pressure for the students to pass the standardized test, which, in Ohio, the 5th grade test in math is the HARDEST one they will take. The majority of kids who fail the 5th grade state test will PASS the 6th grade.
    Parents in my district see GRADES. That is what they want to see. Many don't even care about the state tests. If correcting a test helps, then so be it. If I can get the kids to feel confident about taking that state test, then I will do all I can to achieve that.

27. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Dec 12, 2010

My policy is that work below 70 can be corrected and test below 70 can be retaken for a maximum grade of 70. That way, students who make 70 or above the first time don't feel like they are being treated unfairly and it gives students who didn't master the material the first time the opportunity to earn a minimum passing grade.

28. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Dec 12, 2010

The day I pass back the tests, I tell the students the correct answer for each problem. Then, they are required on a separate sheet of paper to redo any problems they got incorrect and hand them in with their test. They can use their notes or their book to figure out what they did wrong. Usually it ends up being calculation errors.

They do this in class so if they need help from me, I'm there to assist them. Those students that finish early work on an enrichment worksheet.

They do not get points for doing this, nor do I change their test grade. The point is for them to simply learn from their mistakes.