Do you let kids have snacks with all the overweight kids?

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by Hamster, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Aug 3, 2007

Every time I turn on the news, they talk about how overweight kids are these days. My daughter (9) had a swimming party and about 80% (no joke) were very heavy for their age. I'm not doing snack time this year. We didn't have it growing up and we survived.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2007

We have a half hour morning recess and the students have snack (brought from home) then. Our mornings are long--4 hours from the start of the day until lunch time and my students really do need something to eat during that time. Promoting a healthy lifestyle is also a provincial and board wide focus. Our students have mandated physical activity (in class, outside of Phys Ed and recess) every day and each classroom receives a bin of fresh, seasonal fruit for the students to have each week.

4. collteach

collteach Comrade

Aug 3, 2007

I didn't do snack last year, because I felt our lunch fell at a pretty decent time during the day. However, I am reconsidering for this year (especially since I will need to snack on something healthy during the day), I would rather let my students have a healthy snack during the day, than to have them stuffing their faces on junk in the cafeteria.

I taught a remediation class after school for 8 weeks. We encouraged the kids to bring healthy snacks. We had a few kids who tried bringing candy and chips and things. We sent a letter home about what we felt HEALTHY was and things improved after that.

It is not a bad thing to eat light snacks...in fact, it is supposed to rev up metabolism. I think if a teacher or school outlines what is acceptable, then kids will eat healthy.

5. devama

devama Companion

Aug 3, 2007

could you regulate what they bring (only fruits and veggies)?

6. goopp

goopp Devotee

Aug 3, 2007

We wil have snack, but I mandate a healthy snack. No chips, cookies, cake, brownies, etc.

7. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Aug 3, 2007

I'm going to be a hard nose. Our cafeteria doesn't sell any snacks at all. I see them throw their apples away not touched and it makes me mad. I'll tell them to be sure to eat their entire lunch. Like I said, we all survived without a snack except in kindergarten.

8. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 3, 2007

We have snack during reading centers, yet it's a mandated healthy snack. Last year, though, it was harder because some kids would bring in different kinds of snacks that weren't what I desired. I think having a good apple, other vegetables, or decent crackers isn't so bad.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2007

A healthy snack can be better than no snack at all. I know that when I go for several hours without a little something I tend to be ravenous at my next meal. It's better for me to munch on something small in the mid-morning so that I don't eat as much at lunch and end up with a stomach ache. I imagine that little kids with their faster metabolism aren't much different from me in this regard.

10. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 4, 2007

I believe the kids feel better and put a better effort into what they do if they eat something small and healthy during the morning. It's never great hearing complaints- but they know I am firm with certain things and it's a privilege to eat healthy and feel "ready to go". :)