Do you leave for the summer knowing what you will be teaching next year?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mellz Bellz, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Mellz Bellz

Mellz Bellz Comrade

Jun 20, 2012

To make a long story short I'm in a situation where I don't exactly know where I'm going to be placed next year. I definitely have a job within the district, but it could be half a day split between my current school and the high school, my current position, a general ed position in my school, or another position somewhere else. There are a lot of possibilities and the not knowing is driving me nuts! Can anyone else relate? Does your school let you know where you'll be before school let's out? Or do they change things over summer?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2012

My school has to give us tentative placements before we leave for the summer. However, those placements can and do change occasionally.

4. traveler

traveler Comrade

Jun 20, 2012

I know my school but I won't know which grade I will be teaching until our P decides who will teach what. It is frustrating. I can't do a lot of planning until I know for sure. I am in my 6th year at this school and every year it is the same.

5. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 20, 2012

We have a general idea, but we won't know absolutely for sure until right before school starts. If a BIG change is planned, she'll give us a heads up much earlier.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2012

I always know. How do plan, purchase supplies if you are kept hanging?

7. traveler

traveler Comrade

Jun 20, 2012

It's tough but in our case, the budget is so bad we don't know which scenario will come true. We may get more funding (Yea right) or lose a bunch more (always seems to happen). So our student to teacher ratio changes based on these numbers which bumps teachers. We may have to lose two more teachers and have larger classes this year. It is tough but at least I know I have a job somewhere. I can buy general supplies because they are used in any class. I just can't buy really specific/curriculum related stuff.

8. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 20, 2012

We know our grade levels before the end of the year. If there is a change over the summer, they will call and let you know.

9. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 20, 2012

Now that I'm in an elementary school I know, we all got our assignments the day before the last day of school. When I was high school we didn't get our schedule until about two weeks before school started and it was very annoying because it meant I couldn't spend the summer prepping. I could have been teaching anything from Intro to Foods, Child Development, Fashion, Interior Design or an advanced foods class.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2012

The same is generally true at my school.

11. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 20, 2012

I was moved two weeks before school started and I've seen teachers get moved a week or so after school starts. I know it can't be helped...sometimes!

12. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 20, 2012

I won't know until the week before. This isn't too inconvenient because it will be the same subject. I don't modify between team-taught and on level, and honors will depend on the class.

Our school has an inclusive honors program. This means that any student can enrol. This also means that the student ability level is actually not any higher. I didn't teach honors this year, but the other teacher (veteran, excellent teacher) watered the curriculum down a great deal and still ended up with a 10% failure rate, mostly due to lack of assignment completion. An F student Moved from my class to his (he was bored!) and continued to not study or submit assignments and was an F student there too. Frustrating!

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2012

This is true for us as well. If there aren't any dramatic changes in enrollment over the summer, things won't change. If, however, we need to reorganize our classes (to maintain our hard cap) assignments could change slightly--from a straight grade 3 to a split 3/4 for example. It's highly unlikely that there would be any major changes.

14. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jun 20, 2012

We don't change grade levels or buildings unless we bid to a different position.

15. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2012

Usually. But, numbers can change. One year a teacher had to move classrooms and grade levels the day before the first day of school due to an enrollment shift! :eek:

16. Mellz Bellz

Mellz Bellz Comrade

Jun 20, 2012

This is my big issue. If I'm staying where I am I can start planning with the information I already have. If I'm moving into a content area though I really want to study the new standards and start planning for that as well as come up with some general management strategies. If I'm going to high school I'd like to know what subjects and grade levels I'll be working with so I can brush up on the content.

17. onestepcloser

onestepcloser Companion

Jun 20, 2012

We are supposed to but there's no actual date in our contract by which they have to tell us, so as of now I have no clue. Interestingly, our admin wants us to collaborate with other teachers who are teaching the same subject, which is difficult when no one knows who is teaching what!

18. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jun 20, 2012

Our union contract states that teachers are to be told by the first Friday in June what they will be teaching.

19. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jun 20, 2012

I knew March 1st.

20. onestepcloser

onestepcloser Companion

Jun 20, 2012

Oh man, I wish we did! It would help so much with preparing and collaborating.

21. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jun 20, 2012

We generally know when school lets out where we will be.

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2012

We have our assignments, but they've been known to change over the summer.

23. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2012

Everything is "tentative." People don't have to tell the principal they're leaving until August, so she makes plans not knowing who will actually return. (Lots of teachers leave each year.) So I know where I'll most likely be, but I also know nothing is set in stone.

24. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Jun 20, 2012

Last year, I found out about mid-July what I would be teaching. And I had two new subjects to teach. This year, I was told on our last day. But then a teacher quit so I don't know what is going on with the schedule now.

25. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jun 20, 2012

We have the same teachers each year for every grade. There is no secret...unless someone leaves or isn't renewed.

26. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2012

We know...but the district does have a right to change your position over the summer. I've never seen it happen, but it is out there.

27. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 20, 2012

We always know. How are classes divided and students told who their teacher is otherwise??

28. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 20, 2012

Right now, I can already see my roster for fall semester starting to fill. It's the same course I've been teaching for the last three years. However, I know that I was switched into this course the day before classes started three years ago and it could happen again. It's unlikely, but it could.

29. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2012

This isn't done for us until August, so the school could change things before then. People know they have a job for sure of course, but they could potentially get a new grade level or a new assignment.

30. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 20, 2012

When I was in Idaho we put the class list out less than a week before school started-sometimes not until the day before.

I found out where I would be next year in mid-May. I'm glad I'll have time to plan because I'm moving to a completely different position.

31. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 20, 2012

We usually know, but I've gotten a phone call early in the summer twice telling me my new grade level.

32. Mellz Bellz

Mellz Bellz Comrade

Jun 20, 2012

Classes aren't usually divided up until maybe two weeks before school starts. Letters are sent home to the students then. It sounds weird to me too because growing up in NY we always had our next years teacher on our report card in elementary school. I remember that being a big deal and being the first thing I always looked at on my report card.

33. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 21, 2012

Our students find out what class they are in when they arrive on the first day of school. Although we do have students organized into classes and teachers assigned now, there is always the need for some tweaking the last week before school starts.

34. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 21, 2012

My children don't find out their teachers until the very last minute-- usually Saturday of Labor Day weekend.

It presents fewer days for parents to go request a change.

35. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 21, 2012

This is what we do. I think it's interesting that other schools leave the placement and announcements so late. Teachers need to mentally prepare as well about what needs they may have in their class. If I know I have a student coming with a particular diagnosis or learning need I spend the summer researching ways to best accommodate them in the classroom.

36. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 21, 2012

Here we do, yes. The teachers come from abroad, so they know exactly what they are doing for the following year.

37. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 21, 2012

Most teachers here know what they're doing in the fall... but I don't...

38. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2012

I think we usually "know" but it is subject to change. This is the first time in 16 years with this district I don't "know." They have decided to wait on more budget news from the state until they commit. I usually have a lot of stuff planned by now, but I am holding back, afraid I might be wasting my time doing it.

39. mkate

mkate Comrade

Jun 21, 2012

I don't know which school I'll be at or what I'll be teaching, though I am guaranteed a job for next year.

Here the assignments of teacher to class are finalized at the beginning of September.

40. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jun 21, 2012

This is true for my school as well. Last year I didn't find out I was teaching English II until the week before school started. Apparently others knew much earlier, but no one told me until the last minute.:rolleyes:

41. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2012

Our students find out what class they're in (it's a number) but not their teachers, officially. I'm 100% positive my students' future teachers will be at the school next year, but their names don't go on the report card. Today we invited our future students for next year into our classroom. But since they're 2nd graders becoming 3rd graders we said they "might" be in the classroom next year. I didn't want anything to change over the summer and for them to come in feeling surprised. But if they do all end up with us then it will be nice that they've been to the classroom and seen our faces and hopefully that will make them more comfortable on the first day.