Do you know of anyone who got certified and NEVER found a job?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by mrs.tt, Jul 7, 2010.

1. mrs.tt

mrs.tt Rookie

Jul 7, 2010

As I read the "Job Seekers" portion of the board, it seems like most people eventually find a job. Some have to look longer than others, but the success rate looks promising. I realize that, in California, I may spend these next two years getting certified and then wait a while, but I want to keep hope that I will be able to find a job eventually.

Has there ever been anyone you know, here or in real life, who really wanted to teach but never found a job?

What do they do now?

3. collteach

collteach Comrade

Jul 7, 2010

I have a friend who is a certified teacher in western PA, and has searched since January 2006 without luck. However, she is not willing to leave her area at this time, so I know that is part of the problem. It took my mother 5 years to get a teaching position in that area. She works for a company that does background checks for the federal government.

4. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Jul 7, 2010

I know one person who has been looking since 2006 and another since 2007 who have not found anything yet. I have been looking since 2008 and have only gotten maternity leaves; better than nothing though!

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 7, 2010

My mother took several years to get a full-time teaching job, but she ONLY applied to the one high school where she subbed. If she'd expanded her search she probably would have had a much quicker time of it.

6. supermissf

supermissf Rookie

Jul 7, 2010

I've landed two jobs pretty easily; my first application landed my first interview and my first job. My 2nd job I landed after 2 other interviews. I think there is a correlation between how much you put in to marketing yourself and acquiring skills/experience and a positive, desired outcome. Work your booty off and never give up!!! :p

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2010

I'm sure there are lots of people like that. The number of education majors graduating far exceeds the numbe of people leaving the profession.

I think that most people who leave teaching probably stop posting here. I can think of one off hand.

8. maebowler

maebowler Comrade

Jul 7, 2010

I finished student teaching in Dec 2005 and haven't landed a full-time, full-year teaching position. I worked as a para for a while which led to an interesting experience as a long-term sub, but pretty much was lied to by the principal about the next year and so I went to day-to-day subbing. I had a preschool lead teacher long-term sub maternity leave position and then more day-to-subbing and nannying. I am about to start the 2nd year of a MN Reading Corps position (like AmeriCorp). I don't know what I'm going to do after this year which is making more things stressful. My husband and I would like to start a family but can't afford to do it with just my husbands salary but with all the layoffs and unrequested leaves of absence that people are being put on in the two districts nearest me (and the whole metro area for that matter), I really am feeling down. I'm thinking about going back to school for my ECSE masters but that puts off kids for 2.5 more years. I am frustrated because another friend just announced she is pregnant and I so badly want it to be me. It is an endless, frustrating circle right now. I hope to eventually get a job, but I am not even trying right because of the state of teaching right now. My husband has a good job, so I am not leaving the state and we have a house, that we can't afford to sell. Urgh. In short, yes.

9. AhoyHoy

AhoyHoy Rookie

Jul 7, 2010

I know many people who got certified, but haven't made any effort to find a job, aside from going to a career fair every once in a blue moon. So it's really their own fault.

I, on the other hand, have been job-hunting since I graduated in December 2007 and have only landed one maternity leave position. I'm beginning to think that I might be one of "those people" who gets certified and never finds a job.

10. oppa637

oppa637 Rookie

Jul 7, 2010

If somethings not working for you now, then maybe try restructuring your resume or interviews. Network!

11. ms.

ms. Comrade

Jul 7, 2010

I know of half a dozen people with elementary certifications (no endorsements) who have been on the job search for 3+ years. Most of them are not seriously mounting a job search, for example, only applying for a dozen jobs a year. These people are all semi-permanent subs, some work odd jobs.

I do know of plenty of great teachers who took 1-3 years to get a job offer. They all were serious job seekers, and were hard-working people.

12. newteacher26

newteacher26 Companion

Jul 8, 2010

My mom has been certified to teach since 2005 and has yet to get an interview, much less a job. She's not actively looking though. She has senority where she is now, so she is comfortable there. My aunt, who graduated and got certified along with my mom got a job afte her first job fair. She's been teaching since.

13. sunfishy

sunfishy Rookie

Jul 13, 2010

I have been searching for three years sending out over a hundred applications each year. I also know three people who were trying just as hard as me and they eventually all gave up after two years and went into nursing. I can't be a nurse because it would gross me out so I am stuck. In addition there are three other certified teachers that work as aides in the same school as I that have been searching for a few years. Lastly, I also know two individuals who finally found jobs, but it took them seven years.

14. SashaBear

SashaBear Companion

Jul 13, 2010

My friend has been a full time sub at our school for 5 years. She is called every day and has her own identification key card. She is in their birthday club. She does not have a real teaching job in the manner you are speaking of. She keeps hoping it will come along one of these. She has hurt herself by only subbing at one school this whole time though.

15. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Jul 13, 2010

Many of my friends have yet to find jobs. I think the problem is that they do not want to move or even leave the town they are living in. If you are willing to relocate or even drive a little, you can usually find something. I went to a job fair and the girl in front of me told me she has been looking for the last 4 years and we had the same degree. After I talked to her, I thought oh man! im never going to find a job! You just have to be flexible and you will find something. I know it is frustrating, you I always think of it as it cant get much worse than this!

16. MacGuffin

MacGuffin Companion

Jul 16, 2010

If you got certified in Elementary Ed or Social Studies in the past decade, I imagine there is probably a 50/50 chance you never found a job and just gave up.