Do you know of any teachers who got in trouble w/ the law & was still able to teach?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by perplexed, Jun 29, 2012.

1. perplexed

perplexed Comrade

Jun 29, 2012

The reason I ask is because before I was teaching, I worked at a store. One of the other girls who worked there got arrested for a DUI. At the time, she was in college to be a teacher. I never knew what happened to her after I left, but when I dropped my son off at summer school today, she was there as a teacher. She said she was the ESL teacher for the district. It's a really good district, so I'm like what the heck? She went to that district growing up, so I guess that helped, but still. I guess it pays to know people......

3. Mr. Radiohead

Mr. Radiohead Rookie

Jun 29, 2012

Yes. People make mistakes/poor decisions. If time has passed and that person didn't have anything before or since on their record then I believe in second chances- of course this all depends of the severity of the charge and the person acknowledges the mistake. Guess it's the teacher in me.

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 29, 2012

I know of a superintendent who got a dwi while he was a principal.

5. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jun 29, 2012

I know many teachers who have DUI's and they have been able to find positions easily.

6. comaba

comaba Cohort

Jun 29, 2012

I know an admin who plead guilty to embezzlement at a former school. The new school found out during his second year, suspended him, but didn't fire him and I think he's still there several years later!

7. TerriInCa

TerriInCa Companion

Jun 30, 2012

While applying to jobs the last several months there is a little section on the applications that asks about criminal records. It specifically mentions DUI's and they must be disclosed on the application. But it does not mean you will not be considered for the job. So yes, you can have a DUI and still be a teacher. It will come up on a background check.

8. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 30, 2012

She might've been able to plead down and then get it expunged.

9. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jun 30, 2012

a lot of teachers lie on their applications too. I know of one that is teaching in my district. Flat out told the rest of us she wasn't going to admit her arrest from 10 years ago.

10. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jun 30, 2012

She lied and then confessed about it to co-workers:dizzy:

I worked with a teacher that had a DUI, he answered truthfully and had to write an explanation of the charges. He got the job. The DUI was 10 years prior.

11. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jun 30, 2012

The superintendent in my home district admitted during the interview process that he had a DUI conviction. Obviously, the district hired him, so a DUI (or DWI) is not necessarily a "death sentence" if you want to become a teacher.

12. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2012

On the other hand in a district not far from mine there athletic director was recently arrested for DUI. He has been reassigned no longer the athletic director. He will still be teaching there but will not be an administrator anymore. He will also most likely be let go after the end of the new year.

13. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jun 30, 2012

It was actually before we got our certification. During the mandatory meeting where we learned about filing papers for that certification. As the dean of the department was telling us to be totally forthcoming because you could get fired for lying down the road, she told those of us at our table that she'd rather be hired and fired than not hired at all. :rolleyes:

14. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2012

I also know of a teacher with a DUI on the record, but it was from years prior. I have known of a couple other teachers who had some other times of run ins with the law, but were able to keep that off the record with the assistance of programs that were offered.
    I think depending on the specific action, second chances should definitely be available.

15. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 30, 2012

Sometimes people are found 'guilty, without adjudication'. This means that they do not have to disclose their verdict on applications unless they specifically state, 'including without adjudication'.

16. onestepcloser

onestepcloser Companion

Jul 1, 2012

Yes. Where I am, you don't lose your position unless you do something that proves you would be a danger to students and not able to perform your job adequately.

17. txagteach

txagteach Rookie

Jul 1, 2012

I'm sure it varies from district to district, but I think it also depends on how you handle the DWI during the interview process. If you lie and it comes up on a background check, then obviously they are going to pass you up. If you are honest, explain the situation, admit the mistake, etc. I'm betting they'll be a little more lenient. I am pretty sure that in Texas when you get your certification and are fingerprinted, any time you are fingerprinted for an arrest, it will show up with the state board of education.

18. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Jul 2, 2012

Unless we are talking about crimes against children--I don't think there is anything too serious that should prevent them from getting a job. People make poor choices in their youth, but that shouldn't stop them from trying to fix their life and have a promising career. :) Hopefully this lady learned her lesson!