Do you kiss/allow students to kiss you......

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by eyeteach, Feb 22, 2010.

1. eyeteach

eyeteach Rookie

Feb 22, 2010

I have parents who say things like "give your teachers kisses" before they leave in the afternoon. Some kiss on the cheek, some plant one right on the lips, and if you are lucky, they have a runny nose too. lol During the day, kids give hugs and kisses to the teachers all of the time. Some kids I will not let kiss me, especially on the lips, but others are fine as I think they are pretty "clean" for the lack of a better word.

If a child wants to kiss you, do you allow them or tell them no thank you or what. This one kid always wants to give us kisses, but he is actually kind of gross. I do not want to hurt his feelings, but I do not want him to kiss me either.

Thanks and I look foward to your responses.

3. maebowler

maebowler Comrade

Feb 22, 2010

"Kisses are for your family" is what we tell our kids. I totally won't feel comfortable with this. I also feel like that would be favoritism if you allow some but not others.

4. amaran20

amaran20 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010

Because my kids are autistic, I stress that they ask first before kisses or hugs so that they learn some people may not want a kiss or a hug. Also we blow a lot of kisses, because it seems that my kids are ALWAYS sick and I would prefer not to get sick too all the time :)

5. msj

msj Companion

Feb 22, 2010

We are not allowed to give or except kisses from students...I also say to "save the kisses for mom and dad (grandma, aunt, etc)." If a child is very upset and the pat on the back doesn't work, I ask if they need a hug. No matter what the situation, I make sure both my hands are visible usually by patting their upper back and holding the other one out. I also make sure I'm in full view of the parent (if a goodbye hug) or another teacher.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 22, 2010

I would never kiss another child nor would I allow a child that is not mine to kiss me anywhere. Blowing kisses are one thing, but I would never allow their lips to touch mine.

7. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Feb 22, 2010

No kissing at school for anyone.

8. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Feb 22, 2010

I've not had this situation this school year...for some reason, kids wanted to kiss me last year...I would say "kisses are for your mommy" and then say "but we can hug" and stretch out my arms.

9. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Feb 22, 2010

we talk alot about how to NOT spread germs and we talk about how kissing can spread germs. I tell the children-- Remember how we said kissing can spread germs? Lets keep our germs to ourselves and not give kisses, but we can give hugs. I love hugs! That seems to satisfy their need for and to show affection without spreading those neasty germs to me

10. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Feb 22, 2010

No kissing at my school. And personally, I think that children need to learn young that people do not kiss at school period. Elementary schools do not allow it, and preschools should not either.

11. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Feb 22, 2010

It's PDA, public display of affection, and it's just not a good thing to start. At the beginning of the year next year just don't start it and then you won't have to worry about who kisses whom.

12. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Feb 22, 2010

No I don't, but I always have 1 or 2 that grab my hand and kiss it randomly. I say thank you, but kisses are for family and I really love for them to draw me a picture instead.

13. Hummingbrd

Hummingbrd Rookie

Feb 22, 2010

No. Some of them have wanted to kiss but I tell them that "we kiss our family". I will offer to give them their choice of a hug or high five.
    In all my years in both public and private schools, I've never had a parent tell their child to "give your teacher kisses."
    That just seems odd to me.

14. Kase

Kase Companion

Feb 22, 2010

I do. I love giving them and getting them. But I also teach 18 month old children so even though they're pretty independent and try to act older than what they are, I still think of them as my babies.

15. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Feb 23, 2010

We hug a lot, and we are never alone with the children so we use all of the careful hand placements listed above. We do sometimes kiss on tops of heads and I have gotten an errant kiss on arms, shoulders and what not. Not the mouth.

16. HappyLearning

HappyLearning Rookie

Feb 25, 2010

Yes, "Kisses are for family" My personal reasoning:
    1. I always teach kids to ask before holding hands, hugs, anything. I have a "high risk" group-- many with histories of sexual abuse and I want to teach them constantly that their bodies belong to them and they are in charge of who touches them and how. We talk about "personal space" a lot. Giving kisses would totally go in the face of "personal space"
    2. The habit of kissing at school is going to get children in trouble in elementary school!
    3. I have a hard enough time staying healthy as it is!
    4. Teachers are constantly fighting to be respected as educational professionals and not called "babysitters" Kissing would not make teacher look professional.

17. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Feb 27, 2010

I tell my students (I teach K and many of them DO try to kiss me) that kisses are ONLY for family members at home. They still try though...

18. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Feb 27, 2010

Never kisses on the lips --ewwww! I always say that kisses are for your families, but I do have one student who will not let his bus go unless I buckle him in and let him kiss me on the hand...:blush: I used to make a big deal about him kissing me on the hand (telling him not to, etc...) but now I ignore it and he has become less obsessive about giving me kisses everywhere and wanting me to kiss him back.

19. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 27, 2010

I was glad I read this thread earlier because my k kids were kissing each other this week and my aide flipped (I think especially since the boys were kissing each other but I'm not sure.) I was able to say that kissing is for families not for school.

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 27, 2010

No kissing- I do give hugs, handshakes and high fives, as well as 'pounds' and will 'kiss their brains' (kiss on my hand, touch top of head) :p

21. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Feb 27, 2010

CUTE!:haha:

but, I don't understand the "pounds". :)

22. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Feb 27, 2010

Pounds are when you touch fists....like Howie Mandell bc hes a germophobe!

23. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 28, 2010

'Pounds' are fist bumps... It is commonly used in sports as a form of celebration with team-mates and also with opposition players at the end of a game.

Obama and wife did a fist bump pound at the Democratic convention:eek::
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGBikSDv4nM

24. lcarter448

lcarter448 New Member

Mar 11, 2010

Kisses are very personal displays of affection. I would have to hope that a parent telling their child to "give their teacher kisses" would mean to blow them a kiss, if it even means that much. If this isn't the case, then I would try to reinforce that affection is felt for the child, but personal boundaries have to be established. Encourage parent and child both to limit, or save, their kisses for their family and close friends. Instead of kisses, maybe encourage a light-hearted hug, or "air-kisses". Maybe this way, a child can feel more friendly with their teacher without crossing any personal boundaries, or upsetting other childrens parents when their children start mimicking the behavior.

25. childcare teach

childcare teach Comrade

Mar 15, 2010

i agree , I do hug my children

26. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 15, 2010

No kisses for me. I tell them they can hug if they ask. Last year I had one that would kiss my pant leg. I told her we don't do that at school. She would sneak them in. This year I have none one. Of course I am in K with one young one. He was born the beg. of August. The rest will all be six by the end of May, beg. of June. If they aren't six already.