Do you keep your classroom door locked?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by JimG, Feb 17, 2018.

?

Do you keep your classroom door locked?

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    65.2%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    34.8%
  1. JimG

JimG Comrade

Feb 17, 2018

I always do, primarily for security concerns. The only people who should just be able to walk into my room while teaching are people who already have a key (IE admin). Keeping it locked is just one more time barrier in any intruder situation. Additionally, my lock can only be locked from the outside with a key. I’m not going to, in a lockdown situation, have to open the door to who knows what in order to have to lock it.

3. Kat.

Kat. Companion

Feb 17, 2018

We have a policy where our door is actually locked but we put a magnet in the frame to keep it from closing all the way. That way if there's a security issue we don't have to find keys to lock it and we can quickly slide the magnet out of the way.

Plus then if a student leaves to use the restroom we don't have to have someone open the door for them every single time. I think it's a pretty good idea!

SpecialPreskoo and bella84 like this.
  4. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Feb 17, 2018

Outside doors in the building are always locked, but not the inside ones. I'm in a portable, and keep it unlocked during the day since people are always coming and going, but can lock it quickly if needed.

5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Feb 17, 2018

This is what we do, too, but some teachers don't comply with it.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Feb 17, 2018

I keep my door locked, although it may be open depending on the number of students, IEP's, etc. However, at any time that there is a disturbance that could spill into my room, I simply have to close my door. I should add that I have a locked door, in a locked section, in a locked building requiring keys for all of those locks. Not having to take the time to lock a door in an emergency is valuable time.

I don't even have a window, now, but have in the past. That actually gave me great angst at times for more reasons than school shootings. Windows are terrible distractions in schools where distractions are an enemy. Windows vary the room temperature throughout the day, depending on the amount of sunlight, and students inside the room are constantly trying to contact individuals outside. I can't say that I miss windows at all.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  7. JimG

JimG Comrade

Feb 17, 2018

Regarding the mindset of keeping the room accessible but being able to secure the lock quickly, I just don’t buy into anymore.

For instruction, I would rather have to open the door at a knock than have anybody be able to just walk in. I have had an office aid barge in without knocking and address me from across the room while students were taking a test. You could tell the aid felt embarrassed when they realized their mess-up.

For security, yes we have exterior doors to the building locked, but many of the threats to be concerned with may come from students already in the building. It is much easier for a shooter to do extensive damage with an open door than with a locked door and a narrow window on it. If my room is an assailant’s first target, I am going to be proactive and keep my door locked to give everyone in my room, if nothing else, a few extra seconds to either keep out, get out, or fight out.

It totally sucks that we need to think about these things, but I think everyone should be aware of their setting’s vulnerabilities and be proactive in addressing them as part of their every-day routine.

8. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Feb 17, 2018

I did not use to keep my door locked, but I would have parents opening the door 5-10 min. before dismissal to get their kids. So, I started to lock my door. At one time it was mandatory for our doors to be locked.

9. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Feb 17, 2018

We used to have those magnets, but then the fire marshall said they are banned this year...ugh. I miss my magnet.

10. MissyB

MissyB Rookie

Feb 17, 2018

Our entire school is portable buildings so we keep all our doors locked but then use these things call lock-bloks that prevent the door from completely closing and latching so kids can get in and out of the classroom without causing an interruption. When we need the doors to be completely locked closed we just slide the thing out of the way, like Kat with the magnets, instead of going outside with our key to lock it. Our school is fenced with locked gates so the only way in during the school day is through the single office door so the system works pretty well for us.

11. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Feb 17, 2018

Our classroom door doesn't even have a lock. :(

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 17, 2018

This.

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 17, 2018

Mine is always locked, but I've usually got it propped open with a doorstop.

otterpop likes this.
  14. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Feb 17, 2018

The same thing happened to us. We're required to keep the door locked but not closed. I have tried to train my kids to pull it mostly closed to keep out distractions, but not all the way so we're not constantly having to get up and open it.

15. Guitart

Guitart Companion

Feb 17, 2018

We locked our doors in the BD wing of a HS I was at. Prevented kids going in/out at will, retaliation assaults, and drive-by b____ slappins'. It was effective.

My next stop was at a tough inner city middle school. I continued to lock my door because kids ran amok there. Running in and out, opening the door to shout, general disruption of educational time. One day the principal told me to stop locking my door because it was a safety concern. She said, "What if something was happening and they needed to get in my classroom?"

I did not question her but I did say to myself WTF?? All security and admin staff had keys to get in. Made no sense.

16. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Feb 17, 2018

My school requires it. I love the magnet idea. However, I dutifully lock my door although it is super annoying. :)