Do you include references?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Teachling, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 14, 2014

I have never done a resume as an experienced teacher and I'm in the process of starting one, though I'm not sure how to get started so I wanted to start with the issue of references. Do you include them and do they have to be related to education?

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2014

I don't include them on my resume. In education, they want letters of recommendation anyway. I just send those out when applying.

And, especially as an experienced teacher, references should be in the education field.

4. breezymarie07

breezymarie07 Companion

Jul 14, 2014

I have a separate reference page (looks exactly like my resume, but just has a header of "references") that I include with my resume when I go on interviews. I also include my letters of recommendation which the same as those who were my references. My references (well, only past principal) were called before I had any of my job offers.

5. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jul 14, 2014

I don't include them with my cover letter and resume. I have a separate list of my references which I put in my folder that I leave behind at interviews.

6. joeboo22

joeboo22 Rookie

Jul 14, 2014

It depends, if they ask for references I put them on a separate sheet, and say reference letters available upon request.

If they don't, I put the references on the 2nd page of my resume. Make it look as it is part of the resume.

7. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 14, 2014

I wouldn't include them. They will call anyway. Unless you need to fill space on your paper, then include them.

8. heatherewf

heatherewf Rookie

Jul 14, 2014

My resume and cover letter do not include references. I put copies of letters of recommendations in a folder along with my cover letter, resume, copy of my license, and any other information that may be pertinent (Praxis scores, transcripts, etc). I also included some snippets from each of my letters of recommendation in my brochure so they could be seen at a glance.

9. ayla

ayla Companion

Jul 15, 2014

At most districts, they do an online app or letters for recommendations but then still call to confirm and talk with the person. At my current district, every principal immediately asked for references at the interview (could they not see the contact info on the online app??) so I made a list and started bringing it with me/emailing it right after the interview. I'd have one ready just in case.

10. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jul 15, 2014

I usually give a reference list and two letters of recommendation when I attend a job interview, since I apply to hundreds of schools and print out tons of resumes and cover letters. Unless I go to schools directly, then I make a packet. There's a ton of things you should put on your resume to make it stand out. Keeping a reference list/letters of recommendation separate gives you that opportunity.

11. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 17, 2014

Thank you all for the input. I needed clarifications since there appears to be some changes/trends regarding job hunting approach from the last time I went through it.