Do you hug your students?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeacherBug08, Jul 27, 2014.

1. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Aug 17, 2014

This made me laugh. "Sorry, no I won't change your grade, but here have a hug" :lol:

2. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Aug 18, 2014

I don't initiate hugging. If they run to me to give me a hug, I give in :lol:

If any student is crying, I might give them a hug (or deep pressure rubbing on the back) to help them get back on their feet.

But usually I try not to since I work in a public school. Obviously little kids who look up to positive role models will want to hug! I remember my second day of subbing in a kindergarten class. I got trampled by hugs and I was scared!

3. eternalsaudade

eternalsaudade Companion

Aug 18, 2014

I am not generally a hug person, but I teach toddlers so it's pretty much an integral part of the job. Being male, I was pretty much on edge when I worked in an elementary environment and definitely never initiated contact, but early childhood is a much different story. Initiating and warmly recieving hugs are somewhat integral to the job. That said, no matter how young the child, I always respect when they indicate they would like not to be touched and make sure they know that they have the right to determine what happens to their own bodies.

4. Lovetoteach15

Lovetoteach15 Rookie

Aug 22, 2014

I get lots of hugs, all day every day. It has never bothered me and I hope a day never comes where teachers can't hug their students anymore. I teach 2nd grade and it's just their personalities at that age. Honestly, this year I get even more hugs from my last year's students (now 3rd graders). You never know, some of the kids may not get hugs at home so I see nothing wrong with it.