Do You Head Any Extracurricular Activities?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms. I, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 14, 2011

Are you in charge of any extracurricular programs? (Music/art events, fundraisers, the spring carnival, etc.) Did you volunteer or were forced into doing it?

Nothing extra here. I'm in a bit of a different situation. I'm in the SLP field, so at the schools, I pretty much do my own thing & the P would never ask the SLP/SLPA to do anything extra, even if they paid a stipend (as far as I know). These days, I'm at a different school everyday of the week, every once in a while, 2 schools in one day.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 14, 2011

I'm the debate coach. It was brought up in the interview so I knew if I got the job, I'd be coaching it.

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 14, 2011

I started a program where the high school students read their creative writing to each other, sort of like an open-mic reading circle, and respond to one another's work. I say "sort of" because I preview their writing to make sure it's school-appropriate. It's one of the first clubs the school has had. Hoping we get approved to continue next year.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 14, 2011

I sponsor a foreign language club at school and I'm the state chair of the same organization. I volunteered.

6. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Apr 14, 2011

I used to do Newspaper and Future Florida Educators. I'm thinking about doing a creative writing club next year...

7. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Apr 14, 2011

I'm the cheer coach (semi-forced, zero cheer experience, no one else would do it), and the yoga club advisor.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 14, 2011

I coached Speech and Debate for 18 years.

I was one of the leaders of our parish religious ed program for a year-- our kids go to the parishes and teach; I supervised them.

I'm currently on the committe that writes the local Catholic High School entrance exam.

But while my kids are still young, I have a bye from most more time consuming extra curricular. I'll get back to extracurricular in a year or so, though I'm not sure in what capacity.

9. pyramidreading

pyramidreading Rookie

Apr 14, 2011

I coordinated an after-school tutoring program for a few years.

10. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Apr 14, 2011

I sponsor a foreign language club and its associated honor society. Since I'm the only teacher of the language, it was assumed that I would do it. However, I'm proud that our club has grown and is much more active than it has been in years! I'm also a member of the Renaissance committee, which does a barbecue and other events for Renaissance students. I volunteered for that, as well as some other committees I'm on.

11. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Apr 14, 2011

I volunteered to be our National Junior Honor Society advisor, which puts me in charge of several events. Since I'm the "music" person on staff, I'm in charge of directing the school musical (all rehearsals done during the school day), although I'm hoping one of the new upper grade teachers will take the 5th-8th grade one next year, now that I'm teaching lower grades. I'm also in charge of coordinating student performances for our spring arts fair. As a small school, we divide a lot of things like that up, but there are only 9 teachers, so...

12. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Apr 14, 2011

I am the Beta Club sponsor. I was forced into it at a previous school and will be the State Sponsor for the next 2 years which means that I get to put on a convention for 5,000 teens.

13. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Apr 14, 2011

Sounds, like fun, chem... ;)

14. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Apr 14, 2011

I :love: Beta and so do my daughers!!

I am a class sponsor, coach a few academic teams and sponsor an enviromental club all for free.

15. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Apr 14, 2011

I'm the Mock Trial Coach and Community Service Club co-advisor.

16. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Apr 14, 2011

I was the middle school academic team coach for 5 or 6 years. I worked as both assistant coach and head coach. I had to give it up in 2002. I had been sick around that time, and I just really couldn't give it the time it needed. I still volunteer with them from time to time. I scored writings at the state competition this year.

17. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 14, 2011

I don't, but I do 4 hours of tutoring a week, so that's plenty for me.

18. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Apr 14, 2011

I work at our after school tutoring/play program, but I get paid for it. I volunteered. The money is good (in fact, I get paid slightly more per hour than I do during the school day- if it were figured out by hour). The money is really nice but working 7-5 every day before doing any "extra" work (planning, grading, ieps, other after school stuff) is exhausting sometimes. The program I work at basically is the only afterschool activity (keep in mind we're an elementary). Things like music, dance, art, and fitness are incorporated in and we also do reading groups and homework help. Sometimes I wish I wouldn't have taken on something extra my first year. I would love to just be done at 3:00, get some school work done and actually leave the building by 4:30 or so.

19. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 15, 2011

I have in the past, but don't this year as my assignment this year keeps me too busy with meetings after school. I do have an informal Study Hall/Homework club in my resource room almost every recess and lunch hour.

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 15, 2011

I did Mock Trial for a while (under the umbrella of Speech & Debate.) I hated it.

I hated that we had to sit there as the trial was going on, unable to coach or help in any way. It KILLED me when I saw our kids heading right into a trap. Coaching was fun, but observing was torture.

21. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Apr 15, 2011

I'm the 'Educational Visits Co-ordinator for my school. This means I oversee all the school trips as well as organising around 7 or 8 of my own. My school is also part of a group of schools and I organise the annual trip to Chicago for them.
    I am one of the teachers starting up an 'Explorers club' in school. So far we have had one camping trip and one expedition to climb Mount Snowdon. More trips are planned.

22. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 15, 2011

I sponsor drama club, and direct and produce the shows. I help out with debate and will be taking a larger role with that next year. I co-sponsor disc golf club, and I'm a band chaperon (I ride one of the buses to all away games and events. I'm also planning a trip next year for the arts students to New York, and I make and deliver certificates for students recognized for good behavior. I've had several requests to start a Quidditch team, so I'm sure I'll get suckered into that one as well. "I'm just a girl who can't say no..."

23. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

Apr 15, 2011

Theatre

I run the theatre program at my school, which is five shows a year, rehearsal almost everyday from September through May. It was my choice, I built the department from the ground up. I also tutor, and am a senior class sponsor (not a volunteer position). I also coordinate our district wide theatre festival every year, which is bringing 10 schools together, and ends up being about 700 people in the building on a Saturday in January. This was also not a volunteer. And none of it is paid.

24. Pacificpastime

Pacificpastime Companion

Apr 15, 2011

I used to Coach modified boys soccer. I loved it, but then I started a small business over summer that consumes most of my time outside the classroom.

25. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 15, 2011

I coach Speech.

26. AKPuffin

AKPuffin Rookie

Apr 15, 2011

This year I'm the Jr. High Yearbook co-chair, I will be doing this alone next school year. I'm also the Class of 2013 advisor. Next year if I choose to continue on with C/O 2013 I have to put on prom so I may bow out of that one. Both are paid positions, but I'm not sure the pay is totally worth the time I put in. :dizzy:

27. AudGlenn

AudGlenn Rookie

Apr 15, 2011

Glad to see you doing the good work in after-school!

28. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Apr 15, 2011

It is torture. I've never coached Debate, but how is debate any different during competition.

To keep me quiet during trials I bring a notebook with me to communicate with the other coaches and the students their watching. I also take notes for improvement during each trial.

I'm a law junkee and a lawyer so I love it and Alice you are the first non-Social Studies teacher I know to ever coach Mock Trial.

29. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 15, 2011

Yeah, I know what you mean... I was pretty much the only math teacher in the place. It was all English or Social Studies.

WE don't see our own kids debate. It's set up so the judge is from a school other than the two competing.

For YEARS I was a league officer, and worked in the Tab room, so I saw the results coming in. It was a different kind of torture knowing which kids were having a great day, which were having a horrible day, and which kids would make finals if they could only win this next debate. Then, of course, you had to have a poker face and insist you had no idea how our team was doing when you checked in with the kids.

30. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Apr 15, 2011

I coached cheerleading for many years.

I was also the newspaper advisor until that got slashed in the budget.

I also head up the New Teacher Ornientation program.

I am hoping to start a Kindergarten camp program this summer :)

31. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

Apr 15, 2011

I co-run the school play along with the music teacher and a fourth grade teacher. :) We do it voluntarily, and get paid a small bit. I believe this is the 6th year we've been doing it.

32. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Apr 15, 2011

I was the play director for 2 years and then it became a musical. I just resigned though. I'd like to find something else to do.

33. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 21, 2011

I assume you guys are paid a stipend, right? Or most of you.

34. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 21, 2011

Nope! Though if I were in a neighboring school district, I'd get $2000 for doing the same thing.

35. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 21, 2011

We have a salary schedule for activity sponsors. The activities are listed in order of how much outside work is involved, the time needed, and whether or not it is a single gender activity (volleyball, wrestling, bball, etc) or both (track, play, speech). So I get paid the highest on the schedule, the same as the head track coach. I also move down every year (max of 8 years-I'm on 5).

36. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Apr 21, 2011

I get an allowance for co-ordination of trips but nothing for planning my own (no-one gets paid for taking trips).

37. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Apr 21, 2011

I get $1500 for Mock Trial and nothing for Community Service.

38. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 21, 2011

Nothing here--all extra-curricular is voluntary.

39. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Apr 21, 2011

I lend out my room to a bunch of 5th graders who like playing chess. They come once a week, so I stay with them and work on my things, occasionally clarifying a rule and making sure no one loses their temper and throws a pawn.

I had no interest in doing this, but they dogged me all year so I finally said ok. I may have to get serious about it next year and read up on how to sponsor it correctly. Unfortunately, chess is not a passion of mine, although I can play. I like a good rousing game of "Spoons". Maybe I'll sponsor a card club next year. Doesn't much matter. They just want to hang out together after school for awhile.

40. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 21, 2011

I get $420.

41. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Apr 21, 2011

I have tutoring for my class once a week for three months during the year (paid $20 for each session). I also work at the carnival, curriculum nights, on the yearbook, head up a couple of fundraising events, and I coach an afterschool club once a week (paid in smiles).