Do you have your schedules yet?

Discussion in 'High School' started by Caesar753, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2007

I'm curious to see what your schedules and course loads look like. Care to share?

I'll be getting mine on Wednesday (hopefully!), so I'll share then. Right now, I'm pretty certain that I have 3 Latin Is, 2 Latin II Hs, and 1 Latin III H. I'm super excited about this schedule because I wanted to avoid a II/III split.

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Aug 18, 2007

I have just completed my first week of school, so I do know my schedule :)

4 World Geography and 2 World History with 156 students

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2007

I'm crossing my fingers that my numbers are around there. Right now it looks like I won't have more than about 180 kids (30 x 6 classes), but I don't want to get my hopes up. Some of my colleagues had 220 kids last year! :eek:

BTW, I got my masters degree at IU in Bloomington!

5. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Aug 19, 2007

My largest class this year is 28 students Yeah!! I have only been at this school (my dream job) for 2 years. At my old school, my largest class size was 40, my average class size was 35 and I had 4 preps. I am sooo happy at my new school with my small classes and 2 preps.

My daughter will be going to IU next year. My husband works in Bloomington at Hoosier Energy. Do you miss Indiana in the winter?? hehe

6. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 19, 2007

Here is what my schedule looks like...
    Terms 1-3:
    Block 1: 7th Grade Social Studies (It will lactually only be an hour class becuase it is at the middle school leaving me 25 minutes of extra prep time)
    Block 2: Algebra I Honors
    Block 3: Prep
    Block 4: Western Civ I Honors

Term 4:
    Block 1:7th grade Social Studies
    Block 2: Prep
    Block 3: Prep
    Block 4: Western Civ I Honors

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2007

I did my student teaching in Bedford and my observations at Bloomington North and South.

I am originally from Fargo, ND, so the Indiana winters were nothing! I do miss the change of seasons though... out here in Vegas the seasons are: Hot and Slightly Less Hot.

8. CAMathMom

CAMathMom Rookie

Aug 19, 2007

I teach at an independent school, so my load is probably lighter than most. Although I don't know specific class sizes, I've got 3 sections of Pre-Calc, 1 of "Functions" (between Alg 2 & Pre-Clc) and 1 of Honors Geometry. It should total around 100-120 students with a modified block schedule of 6 periods + lunch.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2007

How nice that you get three prep periods! I only get two, and I can't be in my room during one of them because there's a roving teacher in there. :down:

I'm editing this because I reread your post and I'm confused about the "terms" thing. Can you explain?

10. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 19, 2007

Our classes do not change on a daily basis, but rather after each grading period (or 2). So I see my kids everyday (Monday through Friday) for two grading periods (terms) and then they are done w/social studies for the year, once that semester (2 grading periods) is up I get a new group of kids and possibly new courses to teach. My math class lasts for three out of four grading periods (terms) and is why I have an extra prep during term 4, usually I only have one. My 7th graders who are in the Middle School I have everyday for the entire year becuase they are on a different schedule. AP course are also everyday for the whole year.

So if you taught Latin at our school, you would teach three classes per day. You would have the same kids everyday for first semester (the first two grading periods/terms) and the once second semster started you would have a whole new group of kids to teach and possibly whole new classes.

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2007

How do you like that setup?

12. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 19, 2007

I love it! I get to start new every January, except for my AP course. We see the kids everyday so they do not forget anything, but you do have to cover a significant amount of material each day and tests/quiz often. How do you think you would like it?

The only non-semester courses are 9th and 10th grade non-SPED English/Math (3 out of 4 terms) , SPED Math Courses (which are all four grading periods) , and Ap's (4 out of 4 grading periods) as said before. The 9th/10th grade students just have less electives than most of the 11th/12th grades ones (well the ones who do not do AP Courses) and those teachers who have 9th/10th grade courses genreally have less preps.

It is kinda of confusing for me becuase I am also teaching at the Middle School and they are on a different schedule without block scheduling, but since we start at the same time it works out fine becuase I see my 7th graders first.

I know as clear as mud right, you should see how confused the 8th graders are when they are doing Course Registration.

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2007

As a foreign language teacher, I think it would be a nightmare unless I saw the kids all year. I can't imagine them being able to learn a language with a semester-long break every year. Yikes! I think our block schedule is bad enough.... On our block schedule, periods 1, 3, 5, 7 meet one day, and periods 2, 4, 6, 8 meet the next day.

14. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 19, 2007

A new Spanish teacher at m school went from a schedule like yours to ours this year and had the same concerns. But thie thing is that you will see these kids every single day of the week for that entire semester.

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2007

I'd love to see the kids every day, but I'd be very concerned about losing them for an entire semester. I would be curious to see how the Spanish teacher at your school likes it next year and whether the kids retained anything they had learned.

16. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 19, 2007

From my experiences they do, my 10th graders generally retain much of which was taught in their 9th grade Western Civ Course. My argument is that since they see you everyday for close to 90 days straight everything it gets reitious (I can't spell) and they remember it.

17. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 19, 2007

My school is on an accelerated block like Brendan, so I get new kids every semester as well. Because I teach at the "alternative" school for our district, I often get new kids every nine weeks!

My schedule:
    Block 1: English III
    Block 2: English III
    Block 3: Journalism
    Block 4: Prep with entire staff

(Our kids come from the other high schools, so they have to leave early to take the bus back to their schools).

My classes average around 9 kids per class.

18. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2007

My schedule is:
    1st Hour--Physics
    2nd Hour--Chemistry
    3rd Hour--Sub
    4th Hour--Prep
    5th Hour--Lunch
    6th Hour--Physics
    7th Hour--Physics
    8th Hour--Chemistry
    My biggest class this year is 23 students. Last year my biggest class was 19 students. I teach in a private school but my pay is pretty much equal to our area public schools. The downside (in my opinion) is that no one has their own classroom. I have the worst classroom schedule this year. I am in 3 different rooms.

19. teachmemath

teachmemath Companion

Aug 19, 2007

Chemteach, on your 3rd hour you sub for someone else? You have no prep on odd number days??

20. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2007

We are a private school so we sub in-house. If another teacher is absent and they have a 3rd hour class, then I will have to sub. There are 4-5 teachers who have a sub hour at the same time and we rotate around. If I do not have to sub, then this is another prep period for me. We are not on a block schedule so this is my schedule everyday.

21. nicknbeccarock

nicknbeccarock Rookie

Aug 19, 2007

My school system switched from the block with 2 terms to an adjusted block. Only English and math are block. Science and social studies students switch at 45 minutes as do specials. We only gave the block schedule for everyone a year. They were concerned about the science test scores for the students who were getting science during the test rather than before the test. As a social studies teacher they could care less how we felt.

22. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Aug 19, 2007

I'm on scheduling as well.

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2007

We don't start until the 28th, so I haven't even gotten official notification of the first day's meeings yet. That's when I'll get my schedule and class lists.

24. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Aug 19, 2007

All of my classes are Biology I
    1st- 23 students
    2nd- different room, 19 students
    3rd- different room, 23 students
    4th- different room, 21 students
    5th- same room, 19 students
    6th- conference
    7th- different room, 17 students

Yay for one prep, boo for floating =o)

25. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2007

Okay, I think I have my schedule!

Odd days
    1: Latin I
    3: Prep
    5: Latin I
    7: Latin II H

Even days
    2: Latin I
    4: Prep
    6: Latin III H
    8: Latin II H

I'm pretty happy with this schedule, but I'm going to miss having an early bird class like I did last year.

26. jenngugs

jenngugs Companion

Aug 25, 2007

We do a modified block schedule (40 minute periods, blocks are just double periods) so here's mine...
    Semester 1:
    1- Media Center Duty
    2/3- Prep
    4- Study Hall
    5/6- English II CP
    7- Lunch
    8/9- English IV Modified

Semester 2
    1/2- Prep
    3/4- English II CP
    5/6- English IV Mod.
    7- Lunch
    8/9- English II CP

27. ambritlit

ambritlit Companion

Aug 26, 2007

We have a block schedule as well.

Eng III - BLUE Days
    Eng III
    Eng IV
    Study Hall

Eng III - GOLD Days
    Eng III
    Eng IV
    Prep

I have study hall with two other teachers, so there's plenty of opportunity to grade papers, etc. or we might take turns giving each other another prep time that block.

My largest class is 27 and my smallest is 10.

28. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2007

My school does it the same way. The main difference is that we have 9 periods. One period a day is a "duty" period-- cafeteria duty, study hall or something similar.

We have meetings on Tuesday, so that's when I'll get my schedule. Then we have 3 days of frosh orientation, and the whole building comes in right after Labor Day.

29. dovian

dovian Comrade

Aug 26, 2007

Just got my schedule in the mail yesterday -

Advisory
    2nd pd. - EI
    3rd - prep
    4th - Drama
    5th - EI
    6th - Lunch
    7th - EI
    8th - EII

I was hoping for another sophomore class so I would have a 50/50 split - I've never taught sophomores before so having 2 classes would give me more of a chance to work out the lesson plans. But I like 9th grade and this is my third year teaching it, so I'm not disappointed. They haven't quite figured out the schedule yet, though - my Drama class has 4 students and my EII has 2! Meanwhile the EI classes are full-to-overfull (one has 36! Union limit is 33). So hopefully that will level out by the 10th.

30. iluvteachin

iluvteachin Rookie

Aug 27, 2007

currently I am scheduled to teach the following:

(on a block schedule)

English Lab to 1 student
    Math to 2 or 3 students
    History to 2 or 3 students
    English Lab to 1 student
    English Lab to 5 students
    ASL to 17 students

and then I always pick up a couple resource rooms by the time school starts - no idea how many students but the max is 6.

31. ms.jansen

ms.jansen Companion

Aug 29, 2007

We are on 90-minute blocks:

Day 1
    Advisory (20 min before school)
    3 blocks of pre-algebra
    1/2 block of religion

Day 2
    Advisory
    1 block of advanced algebra
    and then I'm done for the day!

One very long day and one very short day, so I guess they even out!

32. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 29, 2007

Here's mine:

English 10
    Planning
    English 10
    lunch
    English 10

Best schedule ever - one prep and a break in between each class!

Second semester is:

Planning
    English 9
    English 9
    Lunch
    English 9

Also good!

I also really like the 4x4 block. Our Spanish students actually have Spanish for 45 minutes all year instead of 90 minutes half of the year. A few of our classes, like shop, are like that, as well. (I teach at a vo-tech). Also we pack in the math in 9th and 10th, so they have met most of their math requirements when they are done 10th, so they don't lose it from class to class. (From 10th to graduation is a different story maybe...)