Do you have your fifth graders make anything for Valentine cards?

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Peachyness, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 26, 2008

For kinder, I had my kids make these adorable Valentine heart containers. Now that I'm in fifth, I have no clue what would be appropriate. :confused:

3. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jan 27, 2008

The valentine rhyme always makes me get into the poetry unit about 'mom'.
    One poem style is the roses are red.... (let them make their own but review some flowers with them..
    They can make an ode, limmerick, etc....

I would have them make a little poetry book for their mom (if they are being raised by another family member then I would have them focus the poems on that family member)

4. calalily18

calalily18 Rookie

Jan 27, 2008

we "weave" heart shaped "baskets" out of red and white construction paper. i then punch holes in them and they fill them with their valentines and treats.

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2008

Great ideas, thanks!

Regarding the basket weaving, is there a site that explains how to do this? I'm very visual and would love to see a picture of this.

6. goopp

goopp Devotee

Feb 1, 2008

My class makes a valentine box at home. They bring them on for Valentine's Day and we judge them. Everyone gets some kind of prize.

7. MsMaggs

MsMaggs Comrade

Feb 1, 2008

I'm lost for Valentines day...I don't mean to hijack, but do 5th graders give each other Valentines?

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 2, 2008

My 5th graders always did. They made Valentine holders out of two paper plates decorated with ribbons and doilies.

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2008

Oh, that's perfect! They're simple, easy, and cute to make. Thanks for that idea!! Why didn't I think of it before?!

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 2, 2008

That's what I like - simple, easy, and cute! I use the biggest sturdy plates I can find.

11. smithf1

smithf1 Rookie

Feb 2, 2008

We have an activity period last thing Friday afternoons. I will be having the students make Valentines for a family member. I taught them basic quilling (paper rolling) last Friday and will incorporate this into next Friday.
    As for exchanging, I always ask if students intend to give one person in my room a card, that they please plan to give everyone a card. This way no one is left out without anything on their desks.

This year I have been using Responsive Classroom Morning Meetings, I think one morning I will be giving them a blank paper bag. After writing their own name on it decoratively, they will pass around the bag and each student will write a compliment or kind word on each other students' bags.

12. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Feb 8, 2008

I tell mine to make a box at home and bring it the day of if they like, but they can also choose to opt out of this. I usually get a few girls who make boxes, but most of the others don't bother.

13. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Feb 8, 2008

Mine do along with treats and goodies. Just class stuff though, no boyfriend/girlfriend stuff is allowed.