Do you have to use your budget $ to buy basic supplies?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, Mar 21, 2009.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Mar 21, 2009

I'm surprised by some posts that teachers have to use their budget money to buy tape, staples, paper, scissors, etc. Do any of you have a central supply room where everyone just grabs these things when they need them? That's what we have at my school, and I just can't imagine trying to figure out how much of this stuff I would need for the upcoming year! I use my budget money to buy curriculum materials.

What does your school do?

3. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Mar 21, 2009

We have a supply closet too.

4. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Mar 21, 2009

When I first started at the school I am at now we had a "central suppy room" where things were there and you just went to get it as you needed it. That stopped I guess 3 years ago and now each grade level is given a certain amount of money and told to order what they need. I know I was just sent the information (since I am team lead) of what we have allocated for the last 9 weeks and we have to have our order turned in by the end of next week.

We have also been told that we have a certain amount available for manipulatives/games ect to start next school year. I am hopeful I will be at the new elementary instead of my current location but either way at least I have an idea there is a 1/2 way decent budget.

5. kteachone

kteachone Companion

Mar 21, 2009

I have to buy basic supplies with my OWN money. We don't have budget money.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 21, 2009

I get $800 from which I order everything I need. There are only a few items that I don't order that the school supplies (mailing supplies, that kind of stuff)...Kids' school supply list in my room is basically what each kid will need for the year but I do include tissues on that list...

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Mar 21, 2009

:eek:

8. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Mar 21, 2009

This year I got 250, next year we're told to expect about 50.

We can get Expo markers, tape, paper clips, sticky notes, and elastics from the closet but everything else is on us (including paper GULP!!)

9. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Mar 21, 2009

We get $200 each year for supplies. In fact, I just placed my order for next year!! :D

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 21, 2009

OUr secretary orders all that stuff and we just get it from her. It doesn't come from our department budget.

We don't get individual classroom budgets at all. We get so much for the department and then people can fill out request forms that are sent to the department chair and then supervisor for approval. In my department, since I am the chair, I just spend it on a first come first serve basis. We actually had very few requests. WE hav eplenty left over that I need to spend!

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 21, 2009

No central supplies. Each teacher (homeroom) gets a budget to purchase consumable supplies (paper, pencils, markers, tape, etc). The past 2 years it has been $10/student.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 21, 2009

We can get any supplies we need for free in the school bookstore; we just walk in and take whatever we need.

13. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Mar 21, 2009

We get $500 for the year, we have to buy all of our supplies out of that.

14. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Mar 21, 2009

No central supply.
    $400/classroom (unless your science or vocational, they get more) to buy supplies and curriculum materials.

I think they are investigating if a central supply would save money.

15. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Mar 21, 2009

We have some things available at school, but when they're out, that's usually it. I spend a bundle of my own money for school!

16. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Mar 21, 2009

Yeah, tell me about it...So far this year I've spent about $2,400 (but it is my first year).

My school actually doesn't give us any dollar amount. We're just told to order only what we think we'll really need, and then they can deny us some things if the school budget is over.

17. Historygeek

Historygeek Companion

Mar 21, 2009

Every year at my kids school - elementary all the way through high school - the parents and local businesses donated money May-June in a 30 day period. We had two parents at each grade who was responsible for the collection of money and then in July we divided the money among the teachers in the grade we were responsible for and purchased Visa Gift Cards for each teacher to use for school supplies, teaching supplies, etc. The school board cut the teacher's budget to $100 many years ago, so we parents and business owners took it upon ourselves to help our teachers so they didn't have to take money out of their already lousy pay.

The first year each teacher in the grade I was responsible for received $250 gift cards, by the time my daughter was a senior we were giving the teachers an average of $2500 each. They used it to purchase office supplies, paper, classroom posters, maps, Educational DVD's, computer programs, whatever they needed.

The kids even got into it during the summer and would have car washes, mow lawns, or collect change and take it to coinstar. I wish parents and business owners everywhere would do the same. It all started with just a handful of us parents for one grade and after 10 years we had parents for every grade in the neighborhood elementary, Jr. high and High School participating and helping not only our teachers but our children as well.

18. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 21, 2009

No supply closet and no budget for supplies. They buy some stuff for the science teachers, but beyond text books, that's about it. My father has spent a ton of money on my classroom and for the school itself. He's purchased computers and put autocad on a half dozen of them, he's purchased equipment to upgrade the school's network and then helped do the work to get it going. He bought basketball nets and soccer goals, plus the balls and cones to mark of playing fields. I buy each of my students basic supplies at the begining of the year (most of them don't have the money to buy supplies themselves), plus basic classroom supplies for myself (dry erase markers, ect) and any extras that I might want. I'm moving into my new classroom soon, and I'll have some cool things, but that's only because the grant we got to build the new section allowed for certain things, but that money had to be used for the new classrooms and not the old ones.

19. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 21, 2009

We buy whatever we need for our classroom.

20. goopp

goopp Devotee

Mar 21, 2009

We get $150 and have to purchase all of our supplies except copy paper with that. We get 5 reams of copy paper a month. Anything else comes from my pocket.

21. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 21, 2009

We got $350 for anything we want to buy for our classroom. We don't own it though so if I buy a stapler and move to a new grade, the stapler stays in my grade.

We have a central supply area with tape, rubber bands, pencils, pens, white-out, brads, staples and paperclips. All of this is for teacher use only. (post-its and note cards, too)

22. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 21, 2009

We currently get to spend $300 from a certain supply company for all of our supplies, except for copy paper. Sometimes the P will buy a few things for all classroom teachers. Next year she is getting us 1 pad of chart paper and a few other small items.

23. kteachone

kteachone Companion

Mar 21, 2009

I know! We begged for handwriting paper earlier in the year and we were given one pack for SIX teachers. I just use regular notebook paper now.

24. mznique

mznique New Member

Mar 21, 2009

Hello everyone! I am taking the Praxis II next month and I have purchased several books. They are not helping me! Is there anyone with any ideas or notes that will help me?

25. kidsandpups

kidsandpups Companion

Mar 21, 2009

We get no money for supplies. The principal orders chalk, whiteboard markers, tape, etc. and it is in a cabinet in our teacher's room. Parents have to send in reams of copy paper as part of the supplies list each child gets.

We get no money for materials either. I don't have enough copies of the novels I need to make class sets and I had to buy them myself as well as any teacher's guides, etc.

One of my students knocked my school owned/issued laptop on the floor and killed the hard drive. My choices were to pay for it to be fixed myself or have no computer.

Kind of rough being in a school with no money.

26. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Mar 21, 2009

we have a supply closet also, but basically what we need we order ourselves in our supply order.

27. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 21, 2009

You would probably get a better response if you posted this question as a new thread on the test takers sub-forum.

28. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Mar 22, 2009

There's a supply closet, but I think it's just for the office. I've never wanted anything from it to need to ask. Teachers get around $300 per year to buy school supplies. Items that are supplied include copy paper, vis-a-vis markers, and construction paper. Everything else needs to be purchased with the $300 or put on the student supply list.

29. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Mar 22, 2009

We get a budget of $2000 for the year, but EVERYthing has to come out of it including materials, books, tape, paper, etc. EVERYTHING. It goes very fast.

30. Arky

Arky Comrade

Mar 22, 2009

We get 555. for sure, sometimes more. This year we got 655. Our last principal gave us over a 1000. but I doubt this one will. Yes, I buy everything I need out of that although our school has construction paper on hand.

31. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

Mar 22, 2009

We get $250 per class. That has to cover everything- printer ink, computer paper, student paper, pencils, glue, crayons, etc.

The worst is we get charged 2 cents per copy!:eek:
    Needless to say, I went WAY over last year and got chewed on about my copying needs.

32. Kris8806

Kris8806 Companion

Mar 23, 2009

We had a closet to get whatever we needed. This included additional composition notebooks for the students, chalk, tape, pens, and bulletin board paper and borders. The one thing we had to fund on our own was that each classroom had a color printer and we had to supply the ink. They did not refill those. But we had access to black and white printers and copiers for free.

33. Digiboy

Digiboy New Member

May 29, 2009

I heard of one guy who "sold" ad space (sponsorships) on the bottom of his tests, exams and finals to local companies. He earned like $500 a year and paid for his own xerox copies last year. Maybe a similar idea could be used??? If the school can't give you the budget, maybe they would allow you some form of creative fundraiser, like in my example.

34. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

May 29, 2009

We get $100 per class. Basically, this just buys two print cartridges for my computer. Grrr

35. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

May 29, 2009

We get $75 per classroom per year. I use it to purchase glue, fat pencils, crayons, construction paper, birthday crowns, popsicle sticks and other stuff for craft activities. It's a joke. I need storage containers, I would like some literacy and math centers from somewhere nice like Lakeshore. Unless I have extra cash myself, I don't think that will happen.

I am planning on asking for donations from parents each month though. We've never done that before, our families are rather needy, but I figure asking will never hurt.

36. Jen in NCal

Jen in NCal Rookie

May 29, 2009

Fourth and Fifth teachers get $400, primary gets $300. We don't have to buy copy paper, ink cartridges, or butcher paper. Everything else needs to come out of that. And it has to be ordered from the district warehouse, which has an Office Depot account. So if we can get the same thing cheaper at Staples, too bad. Only if the item isn't available from the warehouse, can we purchase it somewhere else and turn in the receipt.