Do you have to stand in the hallway during class change?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Southernese, Sep 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Southernese

Southernese Rookie

Sep 10, 2011

I never remember my teachers doing this when I was in school, but it seems to be common practice many places.

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2011

Yes, and I absolutely see the value of it, but it makes the whole "see me after class" idea difficult. There are so many times I need to speak with a student privately for just two minutes about grades, behaviors, just checking in on them...and I hate that it's so difficult to carve that little bit of time out of what we have.

4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 10, 2011

Yes, and I love it. I get to greet my students as they enter, and see old students walking by in the hall.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 10, 2011

We are supposed to stand outside our doors during passing periods. Sometimes I get caught by a student to answer a question or something and I don't go out there, but I'd say that I'm probably out there about 75% of the time.

I think that there are many benefits to this practice. First, you have teachers monitoring the hallways and making sure that everyone is behaving appropriately and safely. Second, it lets you greet students as they enter, which I think sets a really positive tone.

A short story....Yesterday I was outside my room during the passing period before my prep period. All of a sudden I saw a bit of a commotion at one end of the hallway by the stairs. I heard students yelling that a girl had fallen down the stairs. I ran over there to find out what was going on, and it turned out that a girl was having a seizure and had fallen down the stairs (I'm not sure if one event had caused the other or what) and was also having an asthma attack on top of that. It was very scary. Thankfully, though, since all of us teachers were out in the hallway, we could run over and assist her very quickly, in a matter of seconds really. We hit the emergency button and got 911 on the way in less than a minute from when the incident began. If we had all be holed up in our rooms, that poor girl might have been suffering a lot longer before help arrived.

6. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2011

In elementary we do for different classes that different rotations we do. High school, should not have to do this.

7. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2011

We are required to do it and I like to greet my students. But like others said, sometimes I get caught up talking to a kid coming in or going out.

8. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 10, 2011

I'm Not required but I do it anyway. I like being able to monitor students, plus it gets me out of my windowless room for a minute or two every 50 minutes!

9. cmw

cmw Groupie

Sep 10, 2011

I teach in a middle school and we are supposed to. I think it is very important to have eyes in the halls. I also believe it can prevent issues & shenanigans. :p I use the time to say positive things as students leave & as students enter. It also provides me an opportunity to set the tone for students entering. At the beginning of the year I will give directions, "Head in quietly & pick up a paper on the way in" or "Grab a paper on the way in. Remember I am looking for people who are following directions." (I sometimes pass out candy or tickets to people following directions). :D

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 10, 2011

Yes, we have over 2.500 kids in our buidling.

The easiest way to prevent a problem is to have a visible faculty presence. It's absolutely necessary that we be in the hallways as those 2500 kids al linteract together.

This year I don't teach 2 consecutive classes in the same zip code. As a result, I'm IN the halls, not standing by a doorway.

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 10, 2011

Yes, we're supposed to be visible in the hallway. Sometimes I get caught up with something in my room, but for the most part I'm there. I stand right outside my door so I can monitor my room and the hallway.

The kids learn which teachers are and aren't watching. They always have their fights in the non-monitored areas.

12. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Sep 10, 2011

How scary Caesar! Glad she got assistance quickly.

At my last school (high school) we were required to be at our door to greet our students as they entered. At the end of class if you didn't have to teach another class you were not expected to go into in the hallway, you could stay in your classroom or go to your office, or bathroom, or whatever.

13. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 10, 2011

I am always in the hall because if something happens in the hall and I am not there when I am supposed to be, I will be held responsible for whatever happens.

14. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Sep 10, 2011

We are expected to be in the hall, and I think it's a good idea. Kids are just less likely to misbehave when they see us there!

15. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 10, 2011

We are encouraged but not required. I always walk down the hall to the work room to go to the bathroom and get water so I am about 50% split. Our hallways are short so if at least two teachers are out, they can see the whole hall and we have about 7 teachers per hall so we're usually covered.

ETA: Typing on a phone is hard!

16. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Sep 10, 2011

Yep, we have to be out there between classes and at the end of the day. We also rotate who gets morning duty and that starts at our contract time so on those days there is no before school prep for us.

17. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Sep 10, 2011

Yes, we are supposed to be out in the halls during passing time. Sometimes, I just get hung up at my desk. I am probably out there 75% of the time.

18. KateL

KateL Habitué

Sep 10, 2011

We were expected to be out at the middle school where I used to teach, but we're not at the high school. In this part of California, we don't have hallways anyway, but we were supposed to watch the outside areas at the middle school. As a science teacher, I didn't like being required to be in the doorway, because I often need the passing period to reset the lab equipment for the next class.

19. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Sep 10, 2011

We are strongly advised to do it... last year was my first year of teaching and I was almost never there the whole exchange time. I needed that time (4 mins) to organize my thoughts, paperwork, etc since I have 3 different preps and they are never in a row.

This year, I feel much more grounded and am out there 75-80% of the time. Sometimes I get a phone call or a student needs to talk to me, and I'm certainly not going to kick a student out who has a concern, just to be in the hallways.

20. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Sep 10, 2011

It's always a suggested practice at our school, but most of us decline for safety reasons.

Our school has very narrow hallways and it doesn't take much to overcrowd them, especially with the numbers we have. Well, it's become fashionable to periodically hurl something at a teacher who is standing outside of their doorway during the change of classes. Two years ago, a math teacher got whacked in the side of the head with a full-sized stapler that a student had taken off of the desk of the teacher he had in the just completed block. It was thrown from somewhere amongst the crowd of students and almost knocked him out.

Also, if we're "being visible" in the hallway while standing near our doors, early-arriving students go to an area that's a blind spot for the teacher who is in the doorway and start brawling.

So, in the best interest of all concerned, we choose to stay in our rooms.

:thumb:

21. FunTwoTeach

FunTwoTeach Rookie

Sep 11, 2011

Nope, we aren't required to and I would refuse anyway. That's what we have security guards for. I need to keep all eyes on my room only or else students steal things/turn off lights/put gum on walls, etc. Sad, but true.

22. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2011

You would refuse to supervise students?

23. FunTwoTeach

FunTwoTeach Rookie

Sep 11, 2011

If it meant that other students were left alone in my room, yes. Or that I had to stand outside my door while students filed inside, meaning I couldn't have eyes on them, yes.

24. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Sep 11, 2011

I find the environments some of you apparently teach in to be rather sad. I'm in the hallway each passing period, and enjoy greeting students and talking to faculty. Nobody steals stuff out of my room, and no teachers get assaulted.

25. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2011

I teach in a rough school, but I don't have the problems that have been described here. I can stand in my doorway and still keep one eye on my students inside my classroom. I work hard to establish a classroom climate of mutual respect, and I don't really have problems in my classroom. My students get along with me and with each other. My room is a safe, fun place to be for most students.

26. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Sep 11, 2011

RealityCheck and FunTwoTeach, I'm sorry that you don't feel safe at work. :( I hope that I'm never in a situation in which I have to teach in a school that is so dangerous.

I taught in an inner city school in a large city for 10 years, and I never witnessed anything close to what you are describing. That's heartbreaking.

27. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Sep 11, 2011

I teach elementary so this doesn't apply to me but I always remember my high school teachers making an effort to be in the hallways inbetween classes in the early 00's. I don't know if it was something they were "required" to do though.

28. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 11, 2011

We are but there are times that I do not. I might be speaking with a student (but that is done at the front lab table which is right by the door) or I might be running to the restroom or such. I'm probably there 90% of the time. The principal sees me at my spot several times each week so I'm sure she knows there is a good reason when I'm not.

However, my first semester at this same school had me in a classroom around the corner from where I am now. There were only three classroom doors on that side hallway. No one told me until a couple of weeks before summer that it was my responsibility to be out in the hall during change! We didn't do it at the school were I student taught and it wasn't done when I was in high school so I had no idea! oops!

29. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Sep 11, 2011

We are always reminded to be in the hallway during passing time. It's sometimes difficult to monitor what's going on in our classrooms during that time, though, since there's a small entry way in each classroom that obstructs the view inside. One time, the teacher across from me was in the hall like we were supposed to be, and someone in her room picked up her classroom phone and dialed 911 as a prank. She couldn't see it happening because she had her eyes on student behavior in the hall!

30. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2011

I'm in an elementary school as well (K - 8), but there are several times during the day when our students are in the halls--before and after recess and lunch, moving between rooms on rotary--and I try to be in the halls at that time. Once students start to enter the classrooms, I stand in the open doorway so that I can still monitor activity in the hall and the students in the classroom know that I am there as well. I've never been told that I need to be in the halls, it's just something I've always done. I would be very uncomfortable knowing that there were no staff members monitoring students.

31. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Sep 12, 2011

I believe it depends on where you are on the students at the school. AT my high school teachers rarely ever stood in the halls, there were some who stood in their doorway greeting students everyday, but that was not the norm. Students stopped and talked in the hallways and then went to class. I believe there was one security person on the whole campus, but that was only for extreme situations. I recall there rarely ever being any fights, there were a few, but not many. Most teachers were at their desk when students left and came into the classroom. In high school I would think students are responsible enough to get from one class to the next without there being too many issues.

32. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 12, 2011

I do find that with a few of my classes, after more than a couple kids get into the room, I need to be inside the door instead of outside the door. As others have pointed out, if you are in the room, the kids in the hall are unsupervised, but if you are in the hall, the kids in the room are unsupervised.

33. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Sep 12, 2011

If I am at the classroom door, I can't see into my classroom. I have this little hallway right inside my classroom door that is about 15 feet long and makes things kind of awkward.
    I do make an effort to be outside the door during passing period.

34. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 12, 2011

I also can't be in the door and monitor the room and hall both...not ideal configuration, but it's never been a major issue.

35. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 12, 2011

I can see almost everything in my room while I'm standing in the doorway so that makes things a lot easier. With my last class of the day there is no way I'd be in the hallway otherwise.

36. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2011

I am still amazed at the number of people who would worry about students (high school aged) being in a room for a few moments unsupervised.
    I remember getting to high school in the morning before school started and waiting in the classroom while the teacher was off having coffee elsewhere on campus (multiple teachers left their rooms open in the morning while they were not in the room).

37. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2011

That explains a lot of your rather cynical posts, frankly, and doesn't sound like a very healthy environment for you or the kids.

Try to make sure you get enough time to look after yourself psychologically and remember the good things about teaching.:2cents:

38. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Sep 13, 2011

We were required to during my student teaching in middle and high school. It came in handy when altercations occurred in the hallway, which seemed to happen a lot at both the schools.

39. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 13, 2011

I think a strong faculty presence also prevents a lot of problems.

40. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 17, 2011

Security guards? Which part of CA are you located?

I leave my iPhone, keys, and other things on my desk. I can honestly say that when I leave my classroom to stand outside my door to greet/dismiss kids, I never worry about my kids taking anything from me. I think that although we've only been in school for six weeks, they respect me enough to leave my things alone. They know my desk is off-limits. Plus, they're aware of how much I take pride in having a clean/neat classroom, and they, too, want to keep it in pristine condition.

41. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 17, 2011

I'm not in CA. I'm not sure how common it is, but our school district has its own police force. We have between two and four armed police officers at our school at any given time. During football games, the mobile command stations for the school district police and the city police are always parked in the parking lot with probably two dozen cops milling around making sure things stay under control.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.