Do you have to pack up your classroom?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, Apr 21, 2013.

?

Do you have to pack up your classroom at the end of the year?

1. Yes

34 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    25.5%
  3. Other (explain in a post)

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 21, 2013

As we're approaching the end of the school year, it's time for a poll! Do you have to pack up your classroom at the end of the year?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 21, 2013

My response:

Yes, we have to pack up our rooms. We are usually allowed to leave everything boxed up in the classroom. Sometimes we can leave things on the wall if there are no plans to paint or change rooms.

I will likely be switching classrooms (again) at the end of the year, so my room will have to be totally packed. I'm going to start bringing in totes for items that won't be used the rest of the year. I will probably bring most of the stuff home and store it in the den. Last year when I switched rooms, I was told that my stuff would be moved to my new room for me, but it wasn't. I had to come in and move it all myself (well, my hoosband helped). It was a pain, and I would have rather just done it on my own schedule from the get-go.

4. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Apr 21, 2013

I don't have to pack up anything. I do clear off my desk, tables, and counters to make it easier for the janitors to do their summer cleaning and so things don't "accidentally" come up missing. I don't take anything off of the walls.

5. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Apr 21, 2013

We have to pack our rooms. Everything has to come off the floor, everything needs to be off mobile furniture, and everything needs to be cleared. We have even been directed to completely empty the bulletin boards!

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Apr 22, 2013

We have to put up as much as we can. Basically clear the floor. I lock stuff on the closet and take a few things home. Computers stay hooked up.

The janitor thy wouldn't work was finally fired, so maybe they will actually clean my room this year.

7. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Apr 22, 2013

It's about half and half. Things on walls can stay if they won't fall. Anything on a mobile shelf needs to be packed, unless the shelf has wheels, in which case you can Saran Wrap the shelf without packing the contents. I was in a portable last year so my P had wheels put on all my big shelves as well as my storage cabinet in order to move them easily. I won't have much packing to do this year which will be great! I moved into the building last year so everything had to be boxed and labeled a certain way, which was a huge pain.

8. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Apr 22, 2013

We were always required to have everything off the walls and off the floors. Books had to be boxed so they could be moved around for cleaning. I had an extensive classroom library that was a mixture of school owned and personally owned books, so that usually took the longest to pack up.

Since we were expected to teach to the last minute, I had to spend the first two days of "vacation" dismantling the room.

Then I'd spend the last two or three days of summer vacation setting it back up again. All unpaid, of course.

9. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Apr 22, 2013

I organize, purge, and then lock up valuables in my cupboard. I know they'll be moving the furniture around to clean the carpet, so I leave the top of my desk and work table clear.

10. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Apr 22, 2013

I answered no, but we do have to do a bit of packing. Desks have to be cleared (student and teacher), but that's about it! Some teachers even leave everything on their bookshelves. The cleaning crew just picks the whole bookshelf up and moves it out. I take everything from around the room and put it in a cupboard or on a counter. I like to start fresh for the next year, and it lowers the chance of things getting damaged.

Oh, and everything can stay on the walls.

11. applecore

applecore Devotee

Apr 22, 2013

We have to pack up everything that is not on the walls or bookshelves; and even then we have to put signs on the shelves to say "Please don't move".

Our floors get cleaned every summer.

12. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 22, 2013

Typically, we don't pack up our rooms.

However, this summer, we're getting brand new cabinets in our classrooms. Therefore, we've gotta pack up everything as though we're moving out.

It's going to be a hassle, but I'm looking forward to getting a remodeled room.

13. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 22, 2013

We have to pack up our rooms...I tend to put a lot of things in the cubbies so it's out of the way. I put other things in boxes and put them high up. We need all desks and tables to be clear and everything off of the floor so the janitors can clean (everything comes out of our room and goes into the hallway).

14. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 22, 2013

Sortof. We have to have everything except furniture off the floor, and preferably in boxes. We have to label the furniture in our rooms with our room numbers. Sometimes things can stay on the wall, sometimes not, but we aren't allowed to have things on the wall that aren't in frames anyway. I usually take down my bulletin boards, but leave up the paper and border. I also clean out my cabinets and take inventory for shopping during the summer.

15. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 22, 2013

We have to pack up everything not inside a cabinet or teacher desk/file cabinet. Nothing on the walls, nothing on teacher bookshelves, nothing left on top of the counters.

16. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Apr 22, 2013

I have to pack up, but I don't plan on packing too much. I basically do small reorganizing of my cabinets and tie string around the handles to discourage people from opening cabinets during the summer. I pack up any resources that I need to take home in giant totes. I pack up all my plants into my car (they spend the summer on my sun porch). And that's it- I don't bother taking down posters and the like.

(If I'm really good I'll sort student files for next year ;) )

17. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 22, 2013

I have had to pack every year for the last 15 years (job change, grade change, construction, P just likes to move people, etc). This year will be no different.

18. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 22, 2013

No packing up at all. Never have had to...thankfully.

19. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 22, 2013

If any of ou have a garage or storage room, I highly recommend buying some clear plastic tote bins with lids all the same size. Line me up in the middle of the room and start dumping stuff in it by either category type or place in the room. They stack up nicely in a storage room or garage. Then when it is time to unpack, it is already fairly organized and you can see through the containers to see what you need if you need to access it ahead of time. When the school year is in place, these containers stack up inside one another and are easily out of the way. It is a good and reusable investment.

20. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Apr 22, 2013

We do not have to take anything off the walls unless our room is scheduled for painting (about every 3 years). If we have open shelves then the items on it must be packed up. Everything must be labeled with our room number. Everything must be packed up from the desk but since my classroom is a lab my desk is permanently attached and I do not have any open shelves I do not have to pack up anything. The only thing that I really have to deal with is my aquarium. It has to be moved to a permanent area of the room.

21. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Apr 22, 2013

I tidy up and make sure the counters and my desk are cleared. Everything else stays, including bulletin boarders.

22. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Apr 22, 2013

We have to take everything off of the shelves and walls. They *say* we can leave our files in the file cabinet and stuff in our desks... but they get shoved around when they do the floors. I put everything in my (permanent) cabinets.

23. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 22, 2013

Well...I teach at a multitrack school so we have to pack up every couple months. (It is as horrible as you may imagine.)

But at the end of this school year, we REALLY have to pack up - we're moving to a brand new building! It's going to be a lot of work, but the end result will be worth it I think!! (no more multitrack!!)

24. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 23, 2013

I left anything that belonged to the school inside the cabinets. Everything else I brought home. I could leave stuff if they were inside cubbies, desks or cabinets, but if it was mine, I chose to take it home. Some of those rooms are used for summer school and people don't always know what is mine vs. what belongs to the school. I have also seen stuff moved from one room to another.

25. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Apr 23, 2013

We haven't been required to remove everything, but if it's mine, I take it home. I second purchasing plastic bins - I have tons of them! I take everything except school property. Because everything is contained, all of it (except temperature-sensitive things like crayons) stacks on my covered back porch. I dust the boxes off every now & then, then just take them back to school in the fall. I'm probably changing grades next year, so I'll definitely need to get EVERYTHING organized - several people who may be moving to 1st want to buy all my stuff!

Re: cleaning - our desks are all stacked 2-high (1 right side up and 1 upside down on top if it), and chairs stacked, and all placed against the walls. Last year, I purchased "sliders" for all of my big furniture - my crescent table, teacher desk (used for smartboard stuff), and (non-locking) metal locker. When I returned last August, they were all "poly"ed to the floor! Grrr...

26. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Apr 28, 2013

Not only do I need to pack it up, I have to completely empty it since I am leaving teaching. It is going to be a wierd feeling.

27. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Apr 28, 2013

We don't have to pack everything up, but everyone locks up their belongings since the floors are stripped over the summer. Teachers who requested that their rooms be painted need to take posters off their walls, too.

28. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Apr 28, 2013

This will (hopefully) be the last year that we need to pack everything! Next year we will be in our new addition and everyone will have their permanent spot!!

29. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Apr 29, 2013

Everything needs to be packed into the permanent cabinets or boxed and stacked on the counter. I have way too many books on my non-permanent bookshelves to fit, so several tubs will be coming home this summer. Things can stay on the walls unless our classroom is up in the rotation for painting. I'm really hoping mine isn't this year, since there's a good chance that next year may be my last one at this school. All of our furniture is removed from the classrooms so they can wax the floors; last year it was all just dumped back right inside the door, even if we left a 'map' of where everything went. I was not happy about having to figure out a way to move my giant, heavy metal teacher desk clear across the classroom by myself... :mad:

30. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Apr 29, 2013

This is my first year, but I know I will be packing up my room :(

I need to invest in some of the plastic tubs, but they aren't cheap.

Question for those of you that pack up: When do you start packing up your rooms? Our last day of school is May 31st and the last week will be crazy with a holiday, field day, and end-of-the-year assemblies and parties...

31. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Apr 29, 2013

I'd start to pack up 2 weeks before school ends with the non-essential items. Anything that you won't need can be put away and taken home or stored wherever you are going to store stuff. I might be moving grade levels, which will require moving classrooms so I'm going to have to start packing up my stuff before school ends if that is the case.