Do you have to clear your walls?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by pwhatley, Jul 31, 2011.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 31, 2011

Here, if your students take standardized tests, teachers much clear everything off the walls, desks, etc., that might possibly be construed as a "cheat," including alphabet cards, posters - absolutely everything prior to the test, and they cannot be re-posted until the test is completely over. Do you have to do this?

3. comaba

comaba Cohort

Jul 31, 2011

Quite the contrary for us. We're encouraged to put up as many helps as we can, as long as they're up long before the test.

4. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 31, 2011

We have to take everything down or cover it.

Com... I know a teacher that taught in another state and they were the opposite also. They would switch posters with teachers to make sure they had needed info on the walls... this was time ago though ....

5. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2011

I leave my walls as they are. I've never been told to change anything.

6. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 31, 2011

Isn't it interesting, the different mandates we all have to follow! I think it is just fascinating! Generally, if they do it in Texas, we'll do it in a couple of years, lol.

7. comaba

comaba Cohort

Jul 31, 2011

The state has clamped down a little in the past few years, but not much. Until a few years ago, we could leave those info-loaded nameplates on the desks. Last year we couldn't use any posters that described or gave examples of how to answer extended-response questions.

Other than that, we can use anything. Truthfully though, I really don't see many of my students using those resources during the test, and I think some teachers put up so many that it's a little overwhelming!

8. outsidethelines

outsidethelines Companion

Jul 31, 2011

Yes, we have to take down or cover everything with words or numbers...even our clocks or motivational posters. I find it a bit ridiculous.

9. comaba

comaba Cohort

Jul 31, 2011

Clocks???? :dizzy:

10. comaba

comaba Cohort

Jul 31, 2011

Does that mean you can't even have the date written on the board?

11. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2011

We have some limits of what we can and cannot put on our walls for state testing, but we mostly can have anything up that we want as long as it is up at least a month prior to testing. We may not have any definitional posters, though.

12. outsidethelines

outsidethelines Companion

Jul 31, 2011

Yep. We were told the only thing that should be written on the board is the start/end time of the test or time remaining. As for the clock thing, I was told that it was because "there may be time telling questions on the test for younger students." But I teach middle school! And how could seeing a clock be unfairly influencing the younger students anyway?

13. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 31, 2011

The state of Texas requires that all "instructional" posters must be removed from the walls or covered before the administration of the TAKS test. It's a testing violation if that doesn't happen, and the state can censor you if you don't follow the rules.

14. comaba

comaba Cohort

Jul 31, 2011

Boy, I hope all those restrictions don't start moving north!

15. Opal

Opal Companion

Jul 31, 2011

At my previous school, yes. We had to take down anything that could be used to assist the student on the FCAT. I do not know about my new school, though.

16. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 1, 2011

We take down everything. I teach film studies, and I had to take down a cutout of a slate because it had words on it. It's ridiculous.

17. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 1, 2011

We also have to take down or cover everything. It makes for a very depressing week in the classroom!

18. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

Aug 1, 2011

We have to take down/cover up everything including the clock and timelines. The clock thing seems wierd, but some students have been taught to use a clock or calendar for adding or subtracting.

It is interesting that there is so much variation between states... even upper grades in CA.

19. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Aug 1, 2011

If it has a word on it, it must be removed or covered. Someone from district office walks through every classroom the morning of testing for a last minute check.

20. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 1, 2011

I know some teachers who, because it is so late in the school year, don't bother putting everything back up.

21. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2011

We have to completely cover or take down everything in the room...clocks, name plates too. We also have to cover file cabinets, book shelves, and everything on the teacher's desk.
    Heaven forbid a child see an eraser sitting on the teacher's desk and use it to cheat somehow!!!
    I'm not going to hijack this thread...but the absurdities of standardized testing never cease to amaze me.

22. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 1, 2011

For MCAS (the state test) what's on the wall can stay up. However, for AP exams they can't even take the exam in the classroom where that class is taught.

23. traveler

traveler Comrade

Aug 1, 2011

Yes, we have to clear everything that could be seen as helpful to the students. I still have kids glancing in the direction of where a poster would be. Maybe the memory of the poster helps them trigger what they need.

24. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 1, 2011

We must take down OR cover up everything! In fact, admin has to do a "walk through" to make sure we've done so!

25. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Aug 1, 2011

We also have to take down or cover everything except our clocks. Luckily we test so close to the end of the year, it helps me start cleaning up for year end. I usually hang some student work back up on my "naked" bulletin board just for color. Our admins or test director walks through to make sure everything is covered/taken down.

26. sjnkate

sjnkate Rookie

Aug 1, 2011

I don't believe so.

27. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 1, 2011

Take down or cover up anything that may help. So motivational posters can stay. The board doesn't have to be cleaned, it just has to have the start time and end time listed on it.

28. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Aug 1, 2011

I taught 4th this last year and for the state writing test I had to take down or cover anything with words or letters. All of the other teachers have to cover their bulletin boards in the hallways, too. After pulling things down I only put a few things back up because they had to come down again a month later.