Do you have to be interviewed to receive a job offer?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Aspiringinstruc, May 25, 2013.

1. Aspiringinstruc

Aspiringinstruc Rookie

May 25, 2013

I was wondering is it a rule that you must be interviewed before receiving a job interview? Like for instance, if I was a long-term substitute in the school and the principal really liked me could she offer me a job or I must go through the interview process? Just curious...

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

May 25, 2013

In most cases, I think the answer is yes. However, each district, private school, and charter probably has their own policy. I was originally hired on a one-year contract and worked at my school for a full semester. I then had to interview again in the spring to keep the exact same position at the exact same building on a permanent contract. Talk about awkward. It's hard to pretend you don't know the interview team when you work with them every day.

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 25, 2013

I agree with this. I was also once at a school where many teachers were on temporary contracts. At the end of the semester, if you wanted to teach for the next semester you had to reinterview. My class was only taught the first bimester, and I was hired as I was still finishing my student teaching so I didn´t interview for anything else, but the math teacher next to me interviewed again and they didn´t hire her! I felt so bad for her but I also remember she had a tough time with the class. It seems like there was some tension (prior to the reinterviewing) between herself and admin.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 25, 2013

I think this could vary from place to place. Some places are legally required to do x amount of interviews, even if they know who will get the position. Being a filler interviewee is no fun.

We have always interviewed internal candidates at our school- subs, long term subs, and TAs that want a classroom spot. Same with teachers who've applied for AP spots.

6. teachyouteachme

teachyouteachme Rookie

May 25, 2013

Where I live, no, you don't have to be interviewed to get a job offer. However, the principal must be familiar with your work, know your work ethic, etc. I know several people who were student teachers or long-term subs at a school and when a job opened up they were given that position. In the district I'm in, I've heard of principals posting positions on the site even though they already knew who they were going to hire. Once the posting is up for awhile, a call would be made to HR to recommend that person for the job.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 25, 2013

Here, yes. The hiring process must be open and transparent.

8. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 25, 2013

Here, yes. Two of our long term subs recently got hired after their interviews and demo lessons - it does pay to be a LTS because they can really see what you're made of for a long period of time.

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 25, 2013

Being a LTS can get you an interview here, but it won't get you the job by itself. The process still stands.

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 25, 2013

Our building subs tend to be offered full time positions without having to go through another interview process, but if they're changing subjects, they may be asked to have a chat with the people in charge of that department.

11. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

May 25, 2013

In my county, in Ga, you will be interviewed before you are given any LTS position. Regular, short term subs don't have to be interviewed if they are accepted based in qualifications, but if you want to swap to an LTS then the principal winding to place you then interviews you and then asks HR to place you on LTS assignment.

12. redtop

redtop Companion

May 25, 2013

Well, it's very likely you have to apply.

But it's pointless to refer to other districts' procedures. Each one is different, and what constitutes an "interview" is different. They can, if they choose, say "Hi how are you," you say "Fine" and that's the interview.

You sound like you have a moderate to acute case of interviewophobia?

13. Aspiringinstruc

Aspiringinstruc Rookie

May 25, 2013

More like joblessphobia

14. redtop

redtop Companion

May 27, 2013

Well I'm not sure what you mean by "joblessphobia."

I know it's a tough world out there, but there was nothing in your thread about what or how hard you're trying.

My wife has a great resume, but we didn't just rely on that, and she was fairly picky about what she'd accept. So we applied for licenses in about a dozen states, applied in total to about 30-40 districts/positions, wrote directly to about 200 schools. And we'd still be doing more if she hadn't been offered a job at a school that would have been a very top pick of hers, it not #1.

I have no reason to think you are not trying hard, but you post doesn't betray any information on that subject. Are you giving it a 110% effort?

15. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 27, 2013

I think you have to be interviewed.
    When I was a sub, I didn't interview to be a LTs. The P liked me, so she created this position for me based on my credential. It was actually a short term teacher contract, same job as the other teachers were, with limited benefits, and with LTS pay. But I know for a teacher's position I would have to have been interviewed, and go through the regular process.

16. Db8Coach

Db8Coach Rookie

May 28, 2013

For my first teaching job, I was sort of "interviewed." It was for an elective teaching position, and the director of the fine arts department knew my work in the speech/debate community well enough to vouch for me.

As a result, I was the sole candidate for the position. The principal ended up asking me questions like, "So, what are your plans for coaching?" and "How do you like this area?"

It was pretty sweet :) I think that's how you get out of being interviewed- someone has to know you well-enough in a professional manner (long term subbing would be a good example too.)

17. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

May 28, 2013

I'm sure policies vary from district to district, but I would say most likely you would have to interview. My district has a few openings for next year and they are interviewing external candidates, substitutes, LTS, and internal candidates. Everyone has to go through an interview.