Do you have to attend intervention meeting every week

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Arky, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Arky

Arky Comrade

Jan 31, 2009

Classroom teachers have to meet each week for 1 hour (during our lunch) to have an intervention meeting. We discuss our kids, their progress and we have an assessment wall. We had to label a 2 inch by 3 inch card with the child's number and then all these stickers to represent, free lunch, spec. ed., Gifted and Talented, etc. Each 9 weeks we discuss what level they are and if they have moved up on the assessment wall. We also have to read a chapter or two out of a book our principal and lit coach chose. In the meeting we have our principal, lit coach, two reading recovery teachers, asst. or principal, sometimes counselor and text examiner for the school. They are very intense and stressful.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 31, 2009

No, don't have those...Occasional meetings with the resource teachers to discuss my 'pull out' kiddos, yearly IEP review for kids with classifications.

We do have book study groups, but it's voluntary, very positive and collegial!!

EEK, arky, yours do sound stressful!!

4. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jan 31, 2009

We do book study groups, as well, but they are also voluntary and very postiive.

A neighboring school in my district runs a fake special ed referral on each and every child. Not the actual testing, but the "pre-referral" portion, where you are collecting information, analyzing strengths and weaknesses, discussing ideas with the team, etc. They call it being "diagnostic." I have 40 students (in 2 sessions) and if I had to complete that paperwork for each of the, I may drown in it.
    Kim

5. MsT

MsT Rookie

Jan 31, 2009

Wow that sounds like a lot of work! My principal had us meet once a week during our planning period at the beginning of the year. She listened to us when we told her how we needed that time in our classroom, so now we meet once a month. We discuss children who might be considered for intervention and other grade level or school-wide issues. Sounds like your school is very data-driven!

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 31, 2009

That seems like a lot of extra work! In my previous district we would meet once a week as a grade level while students were in rotations (library, computers, guidence). At the beginning we had a book about vocabulary that we were supposed to discuss as we were implementing a new vocabulary program into the school. That didn't last long. We just mainly discussed student problems and did lesson plans.

7. silver rain

silver rain Comrade

Jan 31, 2009

We are data driven into the ground weekly.:crosseyed:crosseyed

8. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Jan 31, 2009

We have team meeting at least once a week during our planning time. We discuss lots of things about students: behavior, test scores, homework completion, etc. We also do a "fine-tuning protocol" where a teacher presents a lesson they are planning and the other teachers give feedback on it, then after the lesson is taught, the original teacher brings the student work back to the group for us to analyze and make a plan on where to go.

9. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Feb 1, 2009

A manditory meeting with the principal during lunch?! That would be a major union issue in my building. Now if the meeting was voluntary...that would be a different story!

10. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 1, 2009

We have weekly grade level meetings during our planning time (our only break during the day). Usually we go over whatever the principal wanted us to cover and have a few minutes to discuss lesson plans. We eat lunch with our kids, so no meetings then.

11. Arky

Arky Comrade

Feb 1, 2009

We were given the choice with our last principal of your lunch period or your planning time. We chose our lunch as most grade levels did so we could use 30 minutes of it to eat. We still talk but I guess we saw it as we would be sitting for 30 minutes eating anyway and our planning periods are usually up and down, runing off things, leaving the room to do things. They are not, however, by choice. Nor is the book reading. We have a teacher union that is not strong. I have never seen them do much of anything.

Fuzed, I cannot believe you have to present a lesson weekly. I know all these things are only to help us be better teachers for the children, but man I miss the old days.

12. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Feb 1, 2009

We rotate who presents the lesson throughout the team. There are 3 teachers on the team, so I, personally, only present once every 3 weeks. At first it was a pain, especially when one of our former team members did everything to make it miserable. We like it now, but as always there are people in the school who fight it. Last year at every team meeting we had to each mention something positive about each of our students and document it. Our principal made us submit these every month. He didn't want the rest of our meeting notes, just the positive student comment sheets. It cracked us up, but we did it.

At the last school I was at we had to actually "adopt" students who were not meeting benchmarks in math and/or reading. At that time only 8th grade scores counted in our state for our school. We would have to meet with the students, all the teachers had to submit various reports to the "adopted teacher." That was very time consuming.

13. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Feb 2, 2009

We have mandatory weekly meetings with our Reading and Instructional Coaches. They are every Wednesday and happen during our prep. Not too many people are happy about this, but what can you do when you're being forced to go? From what I've heard it's a district-wide mandate.

14. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Feb 2, 2009

Yes, we have weekly meetings because we are an empowerment school.