Do You Have Teacher's Insurance?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Ms. I, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 17, 2006

Let's think about the unfortunate reality for a moment. There may be a time in our career when something happens and we need insurance. Parents are no longer suing the schools, they are suing the teacher directly. How many of you have it? Has there been a time when you were glad you had it? I searched under Google and found these for your reference:

http://www.eduprotection.org/index.jsp

http://www.aaeteachers.org/insurance.shtml

3. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 17, 2006

I didn't know anything existed---- not sure how I feel about it but maybe I'll look at the links.

4. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Aug 18, 2006

Before student-teaching, it was suggested that we join the "student" education association that with membership provided liability insurance. I've been a member of our local and state education associations while a student and since being employed full-time. (Hmmm... come to think of it, I really should have had it when I was substituting.) Having that membership has been wonderful in knowing that I have both legal and liability insurance.

5. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Aug 18, 2006

I've looked into AAE, and I think I'm going to go that route. I'll definately be looking into the Eduprotection. Thanks for the links!

6. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Aug 18, 2006

If you are a member of a professional teaching organization, it normally includes insurance. I was a member of the state teaching organization, MSTA, for instance. As an example, MSTA has a $2 million professional liability benefit:
    http://msta.org/legal/liability_insurance/

Other organizations have similar benefits.

7. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 18, 2006

Our school strongly requests that we all join one of the teacher unions (state versions of NEA, AFT, or Apples) for the liability coverage. I belong to the cheapest (LFT) but don't really agree with their point of view. I just can't afford the others.

8. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Aug 18, 2006

I am a member of NEA and PSEA and both provide insurance up to $1,000,000. I ahve had it while student teaching and whole subbing, so of course I have it now that I'm in my own classroom.

9. NYSTeacher

NYSTeacher Companion

Aug 19, 2006

I had no idea teacher's insurance existed. I can definitely see why it would be a good idea to get.

10. pfnw

pfnw Rookie

Aug 19, 2006

NEA and your state affiliate cover you when you pay your dues.

Common sense should also save teachers from having to use the insurance: always keep your windows open, be visible, don't have a student of the opposite sex hang around alone, don't give them rides or take them to your home..etc.

Remember, you are not their friend (you can be friendly), you are their teacher. What you say and do has a tremendous influence on a student and the trust you have is strong.

Just use your common sense.

11. Cole

Cole Companion

Aug 19, 2006

Texas does not have unions (they are illegal), but we do have organizations which are mostly just lobbist type organizations, they dont really have any real power.

But, our teacher organizations do carry insurance.

The one thing I did learn the one time I needed it was that if you belong to an organization that is for all educators (ie teachers and administrators) then whomever makes the phonecall first is who they will represent/help bc of the conflict of interest. It made me incredibly angry that I had put that much money into an organization for protection and when it came down to it they wouldnt help me.

So, now I belong to TCTA (Texas Classroom Teachers Association) bc it is for teachers only..no administration.

I also belong to the national math teachers organization, and they offer the same.

12. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Aug 20, 2006

But sometimes things happen. If you are supervising recess, and someone got hurt, presumably the parents could sue you claiming insufficient supervision. Also, there have been cases where kids have lied. The one I know about was at a middle school. The girl later dropped it and admitted she lied.

So even if you use common sense, sometimes things happen where you NEED that insurance.

13. benemma

benemma Rookie

Aug 20, 2006

Me neither. Wow. Scary!