Do you have students who still don't know your name?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Davidfizix, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Davidfizix

Davidfizix Rookie

Jan 28, 2010

Just today, a student (high school) called me, "Teacher guy", and I've had him since school started in late August! There are still students who call me "Mr. Teacher" or just "Teacher"....like, "Hey, um, teacher, I have a question?" Yes, it is probably the LEAST of my annoyances but I know the names of all my students, and yet some don't even take the effort to learn mine. Does that go for any other teachers out there?

3. Toak

Toak Cohort

Jan 28, 2010

They know your name but you've made it known to them that you are "teacher guy" so that's what they call you

4. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jan 28, 2010

If I were you, I would remind him your name until he remembers it.

5. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jan 28, 2010

I get that from time to time... largely because I'm only a few weeks in with these kids...

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 28, 2010

Wow....no. Every kid I teach, and a whole lot of others whose friends I teach, know me by name.

I do have some kids whose names I don't know.

Now, before you all start throwing rocks, let me explain. In addition to my 4 regular math classes, I also have 3 SAT prep classes. Each meets one period every 6 school days. The way the class works is this: They copy a page of notes (tactics, formulas to remember). Then I assign some problems (evens or odds from one section of an old SAT.) The work on those for about 15 minutes. Then I spend 15 minutes going over those problems. There's no give and take-- it's all about me showing them the tricks and tactics involved in beating the exam.

As a result, I never really get to know a lot of the names. I'm doing the questions as they do, so that I can remember what my gut instinct was as I did the problems.

7. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jan 28, 2010

They know your name. If you want them to use it ignore them until they do, or tell them flat out "I don't respond to being called teacher. It's not my name." Then walk away. They will get the hint.

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 28, 2010

When I was a kinder teacher, and a student called me teacher, I would respond (with a smile, cause they are only 5/6), "yes, student/boy/girl/kid?". Then I would explain, yes, I am a teacher, but that's not my name, just like you're a student, but I don't call you student.

Oh, and yeah, I think they're being snarky.

9. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Jan 29, 2010

I have a girl who calls me and her other teachers "Mrs. Ummmm..." or "Mr. Ummm...." I just don't respond until I hear my real name!

10. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Jan 29, 2010

I've done the same thing.
    Also, as a pull out teacher my kiddos often use their regular teacher's name with me. I quickly remind them of my name and go on.

11. Securis

Securis Cohort

Jan 29, 2010

I get a lot of, "Yes, Ma'am." because it's so reflexive they just say it before they realize who they're talking to. I also have a new grade this nine weeks so yes, I have students that do not know my name but I don't know theirs either.

12. diggerdeb

diggerdeb Comrade

Jan 29, 2010

:D I teach pre-k and they know my name but sometimes when they talk to me he/she will call me mom. That's Ok after all sometimes I need to call all my sons names before I get the right one.

Problem is...lately my students have been calling me Nana or Grandma. It is an honest mistake on the child's part because I grin and he/she self corrects. But GRANDMA c'mon I haven't been teaching THAT long!:wub: or have I?????

13. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 29, 2010

I get mom and grandma all the time. I have one class that mispronounces my name on purpose.

14. mkate

mkate Comrade

Jan 29, 2010

Here in Spain it is an accepted form of address when speaking to the teacher: "Profe" (profesor/a) or "Seño" (short for "Señora/Señorita" for preschoolers) or "teacher" for the English teacher. Otherwise students call teachers by their first names.

But I agree that the students of the original poster are most likely just being snarky-- they are sooo cool that they don't even have to bother to learn the teacher's name. Or maybe not, but I bet they would start using the name quickly if they needed to to get the teacher's attention.

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 29, 2010

I get called by the name of other teachers on my team at least once a class period. I don't pay any attention to it. I just say, "I'm not _________." and answer the question they asked.

They have multiple teachers per day, and generally I get called by the name of the teacher they were just with.

16. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jan 29, 2010

I have been told that it is a sign of respect for students to call me "teacher" or "maestra" so I have accepted it. I do like it better when they call me by my name tho! :angel:

17. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Jan 30, 2010

I think it depends on the student and their reason for addressing you. The mentor teacher I'm with now is very strict and formal, and some students call her "teacher". Others don't. I notice if they have an urgent problem, they raise hands and go "TEACHER! TEACHER!" Whereas if it's not so urgent, well to them anyway lol, they'll calmly say "Mrs. X". They haven't called me teacher, yet. However, my mentor has really drilled into their head I'm Miss. X, not "teacher".

ETA: I also wanted to add when doing my practicum in prek, and working for a few years in a daycare when children under the age of 5, I was often called mom/mommy as were my coworkers. :lol: My practicum mentor teacher was called mom a few times, too.

18. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Jan 30, 2010

I have been called Grandpa. :D

19. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 31, 2010

I've been called ''Mom" by my grade 8s.

20. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jan 31, 2010

I have been called Mom and Grandma and the names of other teachers as well. I usually respond with "yes Daughter/Grand daughter/child/some other name that is not theirs." We always laugh about it.

21. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jan 31, 2010

I have a student who for the life of her can't say my name right. Its not that hard but can't get mad she is only 5

22. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 31, 2010

Most students in our school call their women teachers "Miss" and their men teachers "Mister". These terms are a sign of respect and are part of our school culture.

Many students don't know my name because they don't hear it regularly--seriously, only a handful of students in each class call me by my name, and even then it's a shortened, initial-only version because I have two last names. It doesn't bug me unless a student flips out because I forget their name or the spelling of their name (which doesn't happen often after the first few weeks of school).